A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,465
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gothic/Psychobilly Goddess dress  (Read 7509 times)
Tags for this thread: psychobilly , plus_size , gothic , spider  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010 09:06:55 AM »

I try not to get too heavily involved in size debates...I have struggled with my weight my whole life...
I was an taller than average kid, but my Dad & his wife frequently told me I was fat because I weighed more than other kids my age, rather than accepting that I had 1-2 feet on them in height. As I got older and did stupid, rebellious kid things, I would get grounded. Only problem? In my house, that meant you weren't allowed to eat either. About 14 years old, 5'10", 115lbs, my Dr accused me of being anorexic. As did my teachers when I fainted in gym class or had to go to the sick room mid day to nap.

I am decidedly NOT that thin anymore, although the same height, and have absolutely no desire to ever be a "Skinny B****" again. Kudos to those that are and are still healthy, but it's not for me....I'm 100lbs heavier now, and instead of being called anorexic, I'm called fat, obese, etc. I'm still not entirely comfortable in my skin, but I try every day to love myself for who I am and flaunt my great pair up top, and my killer curves. Every woman, regardless of race, size, hair colour, etc should be encouraged to love themselves for who they are and the amazing powers that we have. I mean, who else can give life to little human beings? Feed an army of hungry mouths without any groceries? Make men lose all sense of intelligence just by walking into the room, or bending over to pick something up? Come on, gals! We totally rock!

P.S. The plus-size model thing kind of bothers me (see my statements above), but I really do love Crystal Renn. And she has had her shares of body-image issues, too.
http://www.skinnyvscurvy.com/then-and-now/plus-size-model-crystal-renn-releases-book-called-hungry.html
http://crystalrenn.com/

Why do I love Crystal Renn? As Squidoo puts it:
ONE - She's comfortable in her own skin.
TWO - She's created her success on her own terms.
THREE - She's va-va-voom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thimbles71
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010 10:12:10 AM »

Fantastic dress!  I love the fabric and you look great wearing it!

I agree about Project Runway.  I love it when they bring in real, life size women for the challenges.  I wish they would do that more often.  It's abundantly clear that some of the designers have no idea how to flatter a real life sized woman.  And good God, they should be able to do that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BroknWingz
Kitty?

Meow Meow Meow.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010 05:07:05 PM »

That is Halloween-Chic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have tons of fabric to personal swap.
Please check out my Etsy!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/broknwingz
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010 08:10:35 AM »

Is that Burda 8379? I've toyed with the idea of making that pattern as a sundress, and seeing the style on you, I wish I had.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010 09:29:44 AM »

Is that Burda 8379? I've toyed with the idea of making that pattern as a sundress, and seeing the style on you, I wish I had.

YES! you should do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nellyphant
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010 09:41:53 AM »

I LOVE IT!  The fabric is fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lunaholic
armed with scissors

*meow*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010 02:22:53 PM »

I don't really love the fabric because... I'm afrad of spiders!!!! XD but, the dress is really cool, love the part of the shoulders and the bottom! really well done and looks very good on you...

have you ever considered to put maybe a little ribbon on the dress? (though.. with so many spiders, maybe it's not a good combination XD)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho Sue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010 04:08:22 AM »

I don't really love the fabric because... I'm afrad of spiders!!!! XD but, the dress is really cool, love the part of the shoulders and the bottom! really well done and looks very good on you...

have you ever considered to put maybe a little ribbon on the dress? (though.. with so many spiders, maybe it's not a good combination XD)

cool idea! i could do that!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho Sue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010 05:39:50 AM »

This is freaking fantastic!!!!  Love everything about it.  Halloween is great with all the fab skull, spider webs, etc on everything-the novelty fabric is wonderful.  I'm like a kid in a candy store. Grin

it's about time for the Halloween fabrics to go on !!!!SALE!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011 02:59:41 PM »

Also is it me or is "plus size" so over as a fashion term. i kinda wanna barf when i hear it. let's re-invent this term please!  Tongue

When I go into stores I don't typically frequent, I ask the sales people where the clothes are for "real women". I refuse to apologize or feel bad for having curves!

I don't like the term "real women," either (as a sort of synonym or replacement for "plus size"), as I consider myself a "real woman," and I'm so small that most stores don't carry my size.  "Real" is not a size; that's the whole problem.  Real women are not all the same height, weight, and dress size.  We come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.

I'm impressed by any of you who sew for yourselves.  I'll make little-girl dresses, but I'm usually too chicken to sew for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High Speed Photography
Group Portrait Photography Tips
Preventing or Removing Red Eye
Stop Motion Digital Photography
Wedding Photography and Posed Pictures Advice
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...