A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gothic/Psychobilly Goddess dress  (Read 7663 times)
Tags for this thread: psychobilly , plus_size , gothic , spider  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Psycho Sue
Vintage Rock N Roll Vixen

~vintage junky and local rock star~

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2010 04:26:55 AM »

Ya know, sometimes the dress has to be ALL ABOUT THE FABRIC. This is a 2 year old Burda pattern dress, I picked it because the straps give it a retro feel. But it's all about the red glitter and spiders, no?  Cheesy

There's nothing I love more than goth prints and retro style. Grin

Construction was a breeze. I did a full bust adjustment and added hip room in the back skirt. For more pics visit my blog (see the sig below). Also is it me or is "plus size" so over as a fashion term. i kinda wanna barf when i hear it. let's re-invent this term please!  Tongue

I ADORE COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS, LOVIN'.....ETC!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010 04:38:31 AM by Psycho Sue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010 04:37:33 AM »

Its awesome.  And I love the fabric! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
mumma troll

Happiness is the harvest of a quiet eye.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010 04:59:10 AM »

I love the things you make and this dress is no exception. You'r a star.x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Myrdda
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying. - Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010 05:42:09 AM »

I agree with the 'plus size' moniker. I'm distinctly pear-shaped, and don't mind hearing it, as the other meaning for 'pear shaped' is when things go to hell in a handbasket. It's all good! I love that fabric ..... it's not too halloweenie, and is quite pretty. good on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SWAPS:
Geeky Swap - sent

My Wists! www.wists.com/Myrdda
My Pinterest! www.pinterest.com/Myrdda
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010 05:55:47 AM »

Also is it me or is "plus size" so over as a fashion term. i kinda wanna barf when i hear it. let's re-invent this term please!  Tongue

When I go into stores I don't typically frequent, I ask the sales people where the clothes are for "real women". I refuse to apologize or feel bad for having curves!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Larissa-Rasputin
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010 06:04:26 AM »

Nice job!  Did you add the glitter on the spiders or did it come that way?  Either way it's a nice touch.  I also like the little bit of red at the hem.  It looks great on you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest (much larger than my wist)
My Wists

Interested in personal swaps Smiley
Psycho Sue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010 06:19:09 AM »

Nice job!  Did you add the glitter on the spiders or did it come that way? Smiley

it was right off the bolt that way form Joannes!

I love the things you make and this dress is no exception. You'r a star.x

thanks! i work on that every day!

I agree with the 'plus size' moniker. I'm distinctly pear-shaped, and don't mind hearing it, as the other meaning for 'pear shaped' is when things go to hell in a handbasket. It's all good! I love that fabric ..... it's not too halloweenie, and is quite pretty. good on you!

never heard that one! i am a ridonkulous pear.  Grin

Also is it me or is "plus size" so over as a fashion term. i kinda wanna barf when i hear it. let's re-invent this term please!  Tongue

When I go into stores I don't typically frequent, I ask the sales people where the clothes are for "real women". I refuse to apologize or feel bad for having curves!

amen!!! my size is not a math equation right? regular size plus......what?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SMLounsbury
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010 06:24:38 AM »

My daughter feels that fabric every time we go to Joanns, lol.  It looks great on you.  I love the style of the dress too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010 08:29:45 AM »

I need to get my hands on some of that fabric! It makes a fantastic dress. You look divine!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Radmom
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010 08:43:20 AM »

As usual I love your work.

I prefer the term "Renaissance" size or "Lady" size, because in that time...You were well off and voluptuous or with power and still voluptuous...Either way a man wanted meat on a girls bones. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010 09:26:11 AM »

I especially like the touch of red trim at the hem.

You look super! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Ludi

Team Wordy!

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010 09:29:16 AM »

I prefer the term "Renaissance" size or "Lady" size, because in that time...You were well off and voluptuous or with power and still voluptuous...Either way a man wanted meat on a girls bones. LOL

Whatever happened to "Queen size"?  What about Duchess size?  Countess size?   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho Sue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010 09:38:01 AM »

Whatever happened to "Queen size"?  What about Duchess size?  Countess size?   Cheesy

Wink OH I LIKE THOSE!!! For me it would be "Diva Size!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StephanieGravatt
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010 09:50:39 AM »

I just love it! That fabric is too awesome NOT to make a dress out of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: http://www.wists.com/BritneyMarie
My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/StephanieGravatt

Personal Swap Friendly!!

Swaps!!
OWS- Round 69
Ludi

Team Wordy!

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010 10:33:20 AM »

For me it would be "Diva Size!"

That's the best yet!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gawd
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010 10:59:35 AM »

I love it! I just bought the same fabric. :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Exhumed

"Someday is not a day of the week".
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010 11:22:02 AM »

I prefer to call them "Women's sizes" and " Misses sizes." Most of us are above a size 12 and are not fat. After having kids, the numbers just get higher. And unless you weigh all the food you eat, and or are a gym rat, or even more unlikely, are born with it (don't you just hate that?" you probably fall in the "plus" sizes.
Plus size fashions also tend to suck, so I'm so glad to see someone on this board who knows how to make Women's clothing fun, and attractive without making us look like toddlers! Way to go! Your dress is adorable, and you are a beautiful talented woman!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho Sue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010 11:47:15 AM »

I prefer to call them "Women's sizes" and " Misses sizes." Most of us are above a size 12 and are not fat. After having kids, the numbers just get higher. And unless you weigh all the food you eat, and or are a gym rat, or even more unlikely, are born with it (don't you just hate that?" you probably fall in the "plus" sizes.
Plus size fashions also tend to suck, so I'm so glad to see someone on this board who knows how to make Women's clothing fun, and attractive without making us look like toddlers! Way to go! Your dress is adorable, and you are a beautiful talented woman!

:-*Thanks Kiss Comments like that is why i keep posting to Craftster, the sense of community and support for originality and personality is so heartwarming and inspiring! If I can do it, so can YOU!

I also agree about the lack of trendiness for size 16 and up! I want this to change with all my heart and I believe that the DIY sewing community can help this happen by showing the industry what we really want to wear!!  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010 12:20:56 PM »

I love this print!
And the dress looks awesome on you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
koolaidria

You stand where your footsteps lead you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010 12:28:49 PM »

Love the dress. Everything just works together perfectly.

As far as 'plus size' goes... As a former employee of Lane Bryant I heard that term 24/7 and hated it. I'm cuddly, yummy, healthy (and in 'the old days' weight = wealthy!), curvy, real, fiercely real (all hail Tyra, right? Cheesy), better than average ( standard american woman is siz fourteen - - I'm an 18! See? Better than average!), Rubenesque for all you art buffs, and fluffly. The most important word I am is BEAUTIFUL. See, size doesn't matter. If you can count your vertebrae or your stomach rolls or fall somewhere in between, every woman has something stunning about her. Not only am I tired of 'plus size', but also of 'skinny'. We are who we are - - why label at all? Instead of "I'm a plus size woman who made a pretty outfit" for example, "I'm a woman who made a pretty outfit." Reminds me of A Time To Kill. "You don't see me as a man, Jake, you see me as a BLACK man." Only when you don't love yourself does your size matter. As long as you love what you see in the mirror, the number on the tag scratching your butt in inconsequential.

Wow I haven't ranted that way in a while. Feels good! Anyways, like I was saying. LOVE th dress, the sparkles and everything. It makes me smile! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a nerdy flourescent curvaceous artistic musical lover of life and personal swaps.
Wisty Goodness
Lillibet
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010 01:27:37 PM »

Yes, and as a less-curvaceous (ie: flat) woman, if I tried to wear this dress, I would look like, well, an ironing board  Roll Eyes and you look fantastic! I think the style really suits you, and the fabric, well...wow. I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pazuzuspetals

I look like VENUS...........of willendorf

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010 06:37:20 PM »

O Psycho Sue, I love you so!!!
I just want to say "thank you."  I love the style of clothes you make, you always look so awesome in them.
I am a size 18-20 and I look like the Venus of Willendorf (seriously..look it up..that's me!)
I too have a serious bone to pick with whoever designs "Plus sized" clothes..everything from the design to the use of fabrics. I guess a larger woman NEVER wants anything in silk, or cotton, or linen? Because i just LOVE being stuffed into something polyester in the middle of summer!!! Or better yet! Take that polyester and then make the BIGGEST, MOST OBNOXIOUS PRINT in a color that is not even a part of the season...because my (now) sweaty azz loves looking like a giant bowl of ORANGE salad!!!
Sorry about the rant, but I admire and respect that you make clothes that flatter you and I aspire to do the same.
Much love
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a hummingbird once pooped on my cat out of pure spite, I swear.
reese299
yep, its like that

a little of column A, and a little of column B...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010 06:49:35 PM »

This is freaking fantastic!!!!  Love everything about it.  Halloween is great with all the fab skull, spider webs, etc on everything-the novelty fabric is wonderful.  I'm like a kid in a candy store. Grin

Regarding "plus size"-yep, its a dumb term. I like the idea of "juniors" and "womens".  Junior size is typically sized for a slighter frame, whereas womens is usually more forgiving for those of us with curves, whether a size 10 or 20.   My biggest issue is the way the clothing is cut-often it is just a case of the manufacturer making everything bigger, instead of adding darts in the right places, or adjusting the length to accommodate bigger boobs and butts.  And forget about it being flattering! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Whenever I draw a circle, I immediately want to step out of it." -r.b.fuller
Airsucker
Crafty Gamer Chick

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010 07:32:01 PM »

Awesome!

I like the term zaftig. Its fun to say. Its all fierce.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010 12:31:10 AM »

OMG!! I just LOVE it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010 02:23:41 AM »

OOOOH. I love it! Smiley That dress is amazing. Smiley

And yeah, I get the whole 'plus size' thing. Since when did that term become acceptable?! Women who have real curves should be celebrated and envyed.

PsychoSue - you, my dear, are a legend. Smiley -x-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That's all there is and there ain't no more....
I craft, therefore I am.

My band: www.lechatnoir.org.uk
My work: www.outerlimitz.net
Psycho Sue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010 04:54:07 AM »

every single one of you; i love yinz all as my sisters!  Kiss

Wink i really like all of the things you have been saying and everyone has been very candid about how the term makes them feel! i hope things start to change soon, this weds is the very first extended size runway show at fashion week in new york. our voices are getting stronger and stronger everyday!
so true about the fitting issues as well! i learned from making my own clothes how much fit can flatter a woman who DOESNT have the perfect curves. i learned about darts and how they give the shape to a garment and create a silhouette, a waistline or hips;  the "woman" sizes need to embrace the curves of our hips instead of hiding them under yards of fabric!

my dream would be to make a PROJECT RUNWAY for REAL WOMEN. Not size zero models, and i bet i could crown in it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angel3rd
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010 08:05:22 AM »

Omgoodness lovwe the dress and the convo:) I agree. I am... meaty but i have a huge butt and long super thick hair and I always got comment about... well just rude comments... And for ladies out there who are pear shaped, go look at the gods and godesses of egyptian times they are all pear shaped. and to have that pear shape back then was like a sign from god! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antsy
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010 08:19:38 AM »

omg you say yinz too! I've never met anyone not from south eastern Missouri who says that.

anywho,
great dress, is there anywhere special you're gonna wear it, or is it more of a just because dress?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Psycho Sue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010 09:06:14 AM »

And for ladies out there who are pear shaped, go look at the gods and godesses of egyptian times they are all pear shaped. and to have that pear shape back then was like a sign from god! Smiley

(angel voices )"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" true dat SISTA!

omg you say yinz too! I've never met anyone not from south eastern Missouri who says that.
anywho,
great dress, is there anywhere special you're gonna wear it, or is it more of a just because dress?

hehe i grew up in pittsburgh and we all say it there  Cool
I am going to be wearing it during my gigs I play with my band, Backseat Betties http://www.thebackseatbetties.com/
the stage lights should be so great with the glitter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010 09:06:55 AM »

I try not to get too heavily involved in size debates...I have struggled with my weight my whole life...
I was an taller than average kid, but my Dad & his wife frequently told me I was fat because I weighed more than other kids my age, rather than accepting that I had 1-2 feet on them in height. As I got older and did stupid, rebellious kid things, I would get grounded. Only problem? In my house, that meant you weren't allowed to eat either. About 14 years old, 5'10", 115lbs, my Dr accused me of being anorexic. As did my teachers when I fainted in gym class or had to go to the sick room mid day to nap.

I am decidedly NOT that thin anymore, although the same height, and have absolutely no desire to ever be a "Skinny B****" again. Kudos to those that are and are still healthy, but it's not for me....I'm 100lbs heavier now, and instead of being called anorexic, I'm called fat, obese, etc. I'm still not entirely comfortable in my skin, but I try every day to love myself for who I am and flaunt my great pair up top, and my killer curves. Every woman, regardless of race, size, hair colour, etc should be encouraged to love themselves for who they are and the amazing powers that we have. I mean, who else can give life to little human beings? Feed an army of hungry mouths without any groceries? Make men lose all sense of intelligence just by walking into the room, or bending over to pick something up? Come on, gals! We totally rock!

P.S. The plus-size model thing kind of bothers me (see my statements above), but I really do love Crystal Renn. And she has had her shares of body-image issues, too.
http://www.skinnyvscurvy.com/then-and-now/plus-size-model-crystal-renn-releases-book-called-hungry.html
http://crystalrenn.com/

Why do I love Crystal Renn? As Squidoo puts it:
ONE - She's comfortable in her own skin.
TWO - She's created her success on her own terms.
THREE - She's va-va-voom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thimbles71

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010 10:12:10 AM »

Fantastic dress!  I love the fabric and you look great wearing it!

I agree about Project Runway.  I love it when they bring in real, life size women for the challenges.  I wish they would do that more often.  It's abundantly clear that some of the designers have no idea how to flatter a real life sized woman.  And good God, they should be able to do that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BroknWingz
Kitty?

Meow Meow Meow.

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010 05:07:05 PM »

That is Halloween-Chic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have tons of fabric to personal swap.
Please check out my Etsy!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/broknwingz
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010 08:10:35 AM »

Is that Burda 8379? I've toyed with the idea of making that pattern as a sundress, and seeing the style on you, I wish I had.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Psycho Sue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010 09:29:44 AM »

Is that Burda 8379? I've toyed with the idea of making that pattern as a sundress, and seeing the style on you, I wish I had.

YES! you should do it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nellyphant
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010 09:41:53 AM »

I LOVE IT!  The fabric is fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lunaholic
armed with scissors

*meow*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010 02:22:53 PM »

I don't really love the fabric because... I'm afrad of spiders!!!! XD but, the dress is really cool, love the part of the shoulders and the bottom! really well done and looks very good on you...

have you ever considered to put maybe a little ribbon on the dress? (though.. with so many spiders, maybe it's not a good combination XD)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho Sue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2010 04:08:22 AM »

I don't really love the fabric because... I'm afrad of spiders!!!! XD but, the dress is really cool, love the part of the shoulders and the bottom! really well done and looks very good on you...

have you ever considered to put maybe a little ribbon on the dress? (though.. with so many spiders, maybe it's not a good combination XD)

cool idea! i could do that!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho Sue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010 05:39:50 AM »

This is freaking fantastic!!!!  Love everything about it.  Halloween is great with all the fab skull, spider webs, etc on everything-the novelty fabric is wonderful.  I'm like a kid in a candy store. Grin

it's about time for the Halloween fabrics to go on !!!!SALE!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A2JC4life
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011 02:59:41 PM »

I don't like the term "real women," either (as a sort of synonym or replacement for "plus size"), as I consider myself a "real woman," and I'm so small that most stores don't carry my size.  "Real" is not a size; that's the whole problem.  Real women are not all the same height, weight, and dress size.  We come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes.

I'm impressed by any of you who sew for yourselves.  I'll make little-girl dresses, but I'm usually too chicken to sew for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wiccanbrandy

Live and Let Live ~ Fairly Take and Fairly Give

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2011 11:39:59 PM »

i am LOVING this dress! Smiley
awesome job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw El Matador from Supa Strikas
How to Draw Family Guy Characters
How to Draw Figma Black Gold Saw from Black Rock Shooter
How to Draw Hugh Jackman as The Wolverine
How to Draw Ikaros from Sora No Otoshimono
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...