A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suggestions on how to make quilts with different sized blocks  (Read 4657 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 12, 2010 10:47:30 PM »

How do you guys think that these quilts were pieced?  As you see, there's no real blocks or at least not uniform ones.  I tried to break this down into smaller blocks but don't see a pattern at all.  They don't appear to have set in seams either.  I can't figure out at all how in the world these blocks are pieced together since they aren't the same size.  My friend requested a quilt like this and I'm stumped.

I don't want to border them etc.

Ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
grendelsmom
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010 11:03:00 AM »

Athena - as long as you can break it down into rows, or columns, or even giant blocks, you can assemble it without doing a lot of set-in corners. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
athenamat

Newlywed quilter/lawyer

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010 11:09:46 AM »

As you see by the photos though, it doesn't look like those examples do break it down into rows or very large blocks.  I can see some blocks that even out but they mostly do not.

Is set in seams really the only alternative?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to send my Step-Sister's Choice quilt to a new home.  If you're interested in swapping for fabric/scrapbooking supplies, send me a PM.
anaximander
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010 12:42:29 PM »

The first one is disguising itself -  they're using the same fabric right next to each other to make it look like they're odd shaped pieces, but in fact, it does break down into large blocks. I'm not able to use my *mad* MS-PAINT skills till tomorrow, but yeah.

The second one seems to involve either applique or split seaming, and I'm not sure which off the top of my head. Probably a combination of both.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010 01:12:08 PM »

I drew on one to help you out.

I didn't outline all of the squares but it looks to me like there are some "squares" And some strips. and then possibly a border of strip squares done to make it look "off". Also I notice some things are appliqued on top like the bibs to make it look like they were quilted right in.
I know next to nothing about quilts but I would make sections in strips and squares, leave some pieces alone if they are big and place and go from there. Save your scraps till you get to this stage as you may need some fillers to make it even.
Just my 2 cents. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewHelpMe
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011 01:45:08 PM »

Hey, athenamat,

Several months after the fact, but...  I think this is called "component quilting."  I made a top from a book by Debbie Maddy (Modern Art with Fabric).  The angle of this photo makes the different components easy to see:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
luvspaper
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011 11:14:02 AM »

I do this on the quilt I am currently working on. I graphed it out first on graph paper.  There were probably really only 6-8 inset seams and they were very easy.  You just need to leave your seams open enough to sew the perpendicular seam. Then you can go back and finish the first seam.  Not hard at all...just have to think through it!  And create large blocks that can be sewn together made up of oddly random sized other blocks.

Darn, it won't let me post a picture! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Reverse Glass Painting
How to Do Glass Painting Techniques
How to Draw Chibi Hair
How to Glass Paint Pictures
How to Use a Calligraphy Brush
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...