A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,280
Currently Running With Scissors:
339 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cereal box notebook, old book into new padfolio thingy  (Read 3844 times)
Tags for this thread: notebook  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2010 11:27:42 PM »

First, a picture of both projects together...

So I needed a three ring notebook to fit a bunch of papers and stuff that are a bit smaller than normal paper but too big for the smaller 6 ring binders.  I decided to take matters into my own hands and make something myself when the stack got so high it fell across the living room floor and the hubster glared at me. I didn't want to spend any money either.  Here's what I came up with:

I did take in-progress pics, but they disappeared somewhere and I can't find them, so sorry about that!  What I did though was take a cereal box and cut the front and back of it to an inch bigger all around than the papers I wanted to store.  Then I took the side panel of the cereal box, trimmed it down to the same length but left it pretty wide so that my binding rings would fit through there.  (I think they are 1" rings.  I needed enough space for them.)  I covered the cereal box panels with scrapbook paper to hold them all together, overlapping the papers for added strength along the spine.  Next, I figured out where I wanted my three holes to be on the papers.  I marked the spine (the side panel of the cereal box that was now covered with my pretty papers) and punched two holes at each measurement for the binding rings to fit through.  And then, I was done!  You'd never know this started life as a cereal box.  Makes me happy.

I know my directions are terrible.  If anyone wants any details please feel free to ask questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability.  I am better at answering direct questions than at writing tutorials!!   Cheesy

Okay, the second project is a lot easier to explain.  I wanted something that I could carry around in my car and bag, so it had to be sturdy enough to survive being bounced around.  I also wanted a really simple way to add in and take out papers and I have a ton of those little bull dog (I think that's what they are called?) clips that were just taking up space in my desk.  So, I stripped an old hard cover book and recovered it, inside and outside, in more scrapbook paper.  My daughter picked out the covers, I was not in love with them and still am not, but flowers are okay.  The inside is the part I look at the most when I'm drawing and stuff so I'm happy enough.  More pics:

The back side.  The front is the fruit blossom page in that first picture, I just realized that's the only decent picture of the front that I got.

In action

The naked inside!

Comments, questions, whatever you have to say is always appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010 06:57:15 AM »

I like the little notebook with the clip.  What a great idea.  --c
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
lady4feet
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010 10:18:15 AM »

Really like the 3 ring notebook!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010 03:25:15 PM »

Thanks guys!  I use them both all the time, a lot more than I even thought I would, so I'm glad I took the time to make 'em. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010 04:33:41 PM »

Bethie: I think those are both fun ideas, and good use of materials. I also wanted to say I watched your tute on your video channel! I'm going to try making one of those matchbook-type albums. Perfect gifts for some people I have in mind! I'm going to try it soon.
Thanks for the idea!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010 04:34:18 PM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010 07:39:54 PM »

I'm so glad you watched it KL, makes me happy to know someone besides my family is watching, lol.  Hope it helps, and you guys have given me so many incredible ideas that I am really glad I can give some of you one now and then too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010 09:41:54 PM »

Bethie: you are really making me think about getting serious about my "Blog".. Put it up, but don't really do anything with it. I wish I could get a web-cam! Is that thing set up on a hat? I was really suprised to find the thing, I hope you keep it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010 06:38:40 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by hat...are you meaning, is my camera on a tripod?  If so, yep, it's on a tripod.  It was hard to figure out where to put the camera to get good footage but I think it worked out okay in the end. 

I don't have a web-cam either, I have am actual video camera.  Web-cams do look pretty cool.

I actually feel like I am not serious enough about my blog either, even with the videos.  I wanted to a video of the 3 ring notebook to show how I put it together but I have been so busy/sick that I didn't get around to it.  Maybe we should both work harder on our blogs?  lol.  And if I end up making another notebook I'll try really hard to film it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

FriendlyNeighbourPsycho
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010 07:37:59 PM »

Those are made from ceral boxes?!? They look AMAZING! Great projects Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010 09:53:30 PM »

The 3 ring notebook is made from a cereal box; the other is just an old book.  Thank you for the sweet comments guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Superhero Origins: Beast
The Dynamic History of Stencil Art
How to Draw an Ant
How to Draw Bigbird from Sesame Street
How to Draw Michael Jackson
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...