A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dragon*Con: Rainbow Brite, Ravenclaw, Star Trek, Lazy Town. Pic Heavy!  (Read 8143 times)
Tags for this thread: costume , dragon_con  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hollish
« on: September 11, 2010 08:48:55 PM »

This past weekend was Dragon*Con, which if you don't know, is a giant (~30,000 attendees) convention for nerds. It's a giant party. It's the greatest weekend of the year. And now it's over. Sad Until next year, for which I am, of course, already planning. On to the costumes!

Friday, I went as Rainbow Brite, based on her recent make-over:

not the original version we all know and love. Sorry, but it's so difficult to do the old version and have it look cute and I am not a very experienced sewer. It's not perfect, but people got it and I think it looked cute. Smiley

This is the only picture I have found of me before I lost the arm warmers. Sad

My friend said the sleeves made me look like an American Gladiator, lol. The only part of this costume that I didn't actually make was the shoes, which are just an old pair of Airwalks that I painted. The barrettes and stars on the shoes are Sculpy.

Saturday morning, my friend and I teamed up as 2 versions of Stephanie, from Lazytown. Which, if you haven't seen, I don't know how to explain. It's a kid's show with crazy music and costumes and this pink haired girl named Stephanie who likes to exercise. Anyway, I was the PG Pirate version of Stephanie:

My friend was more creative with her PG-13 Cooking by the Book version of Stephanie...

All I did for this costume was make the vest out of an old t-shirt and tiwst a balloon sword (which was a piece of cake since I'm a clown/face painter/balloon artist IRL). I found the shirt and pants at a thrift store and already had the wig and pirate hat. In the show, Stephanie always wears pink/white running shoes, but I just wore pink flats.

Saturday night, Dragon*Con attempted to beat the record for most Star Trek costumes in one room. We beat out the former record with 571 costumes, but Guiness hasn't officially confirmed it. Anyway, I considered getting really creative and making some obscure Voyager Captain Proton reference or something, but decided a standard TOS dress would work. I also thought about not being a Red Shirt, but I'd be in communications, so I just accepted that I'd have to blend in with the crowd and wore 2 bump-its to feel special.

(with Dragon*KHAAAAAAN, lol).

For this, I bought an oversized t-shirt, took it in, added a collar, rick-rack and a comm badge and called it a day.

Sunday, I wore my Ravenclaw uniform that would never ever be approved for Hogwarts. Whatever, y'all, it's Dragon*Con.

With Kevin Sorbo, Hercules, who was kind of a perv, lol.

I made the skirt, tie, and corset (using this adaptaion http://shinyshiny.wordpress.com/2009/10/09/diy-corset-tut-1/ of Reothke's tutorial: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=122286.0). My brother whittled the wands.

Did any of y'all go to D*C?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

better than love, we made delicious.
whyme81687
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010 09:05:09 PM »

These are all so great. You look cute in all of them. I probably like the Rainbow Brite one the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
SiakelA
Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010 10:20:42 PM »

jealous!! I need to go to more conventions. Glad you had fun, and you looked great doing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fontiua
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010 10:37:49 PM »

Sweet costumes! Super jealous of you getting to meet Kevin Sorbo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
irishdaydreamer

Who actually follows the instructions anyway?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010 10:51:59 PM »

IDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDDIDIDID!!!!!!!!!! I went to Dragon*Con, and I most definitely saw you there. I distinctly remember your costume. I loved it!

I went as Amy Pond, from Doctor Who.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs619.snc4/57922_433133333804_759923804_4805297_3004984_n.jpg
Sha-bam.

It was an excellent con, this year. On a side note, did you get to meet the Phelps twins?! Cheesy (I did)
Ok, ending nerd filled glee streak, now. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing my way through school...

My Etsy shop!: http://www.etsy.com/people/aeriat?ref=si_pr
hollish
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010 11:03:55 PM »

IDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDDIDIDID!!!!!!!!!! I went to Dragon*Con, and I most definitely saw you there. I distinctly remember your costume. I loved it!

I went as Amy Pond, from Doctor Who.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs619.snc4/57922_433133333804_759923804_4805297_3004984_n.jpg
Sha-bam.

It was an excellent con, this year. On a side note, did you get to meet the Phelps twins?! Cheesy (I did)
Ok, ending nerd filled glee streak, now. Tongue

I remember seeing you, too! You're so cute! I had so much fun, but missed out on the Phelps twins in exchange for a nap. :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010 11:44:36 PM »

Great costumes, and you look amazing in them! I love that you had a different costume for each day - it looks so much fun!

irishdaydreamer, you look just like Amy Pond!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aethelberga
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010 01:45:31 PM »

I remember your Rainbow Brite costume and the hot Hogwarts one as well! I think your Trek uniform idea is very clever.
And I remember YOU Amy Pond.
There were a lot of good costumes this year. For packing reasons, I went super minimalist with a brain slug. (I'm the redshirt in the middle)
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/105033_12Sep10_brain_slug.JPG
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hollish
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010 07:23:07 AM »

I remember your Rainbow Brite costume and the hot Hogwarts one as well! I think your Trek uniform idea is very clever.
And I remember YOU Amy Pond.
There were a lot of good costumes this year. For packing reasons, I went super minimalist with a brain slug. (I'm the redshirt in the middle)
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/105033_12Sep10_brain_slug.JPG

Those brain slugs were so cute!

I packed more for Dragon*Con than I ever do on vacation, but I live about 20 miles north of Atlanta, so it wasn't much of a trek. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanilla_echo

I just snogged Madame de Pompadour...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010 06:01:02 AM »

AMAZING costumes hollish, I love the Ravenclaw one!

And irishdaydreamer, you make the cutest Amy Pond.

Wish I had a nerd convention to go to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Collagen-Boosting Eye Cream
Surprising Beauty Buys from Whole Foods
How to Get Firmer, Clearer Skin in 10 Minutes
How to Prevent Mascara From Running
All About the Lip
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...