A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Robe for mama and puppy  (Read 1256 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DIY revolution
« on: September 11, 2010 02:35:58 PM »

So, I just got a new puppy- she is so cute! She's about 9 weeks old, a mix of several small breeds and loves to cuddle. In preparation for all the middle of the night potty trips we'll be taking outside (I've had her for 3 days now and she's broken my habit of sleeping soundly very quickly!) I made this robe for mama with a pouch for puppy, and when she gets big enough to walk down the stairs to our backyard and outgrows the pocket, it will be a pocket for her leash and a plastic baggie. (We live on the second floor of a duplex and she can't quite do the stairs yet!)

I used Simplicity 3636, view E, and obviously shortened it quite a bit and modified the pocket, shortened the sleeves and and added big cuffs in a contrasting magenta color, and added trim on the bottom and made the band around the neck/front in the magenta. All the shortening and contrasting was not as much a stylistic choice as a necessity because I didn't have enough of the coral colored boucle fabric I intended to use for the whole thing-I got it at the thrift store and it was wrapped in plastic, I had to guess at the amount. I also couldn't tell when I bought it that it was veeerrrrrry streeeeeeetchy, as the trim was not, so that added a challenge. But I think it all worked out for the best, and we both love it!

She follows me all around the house, and likes to play with fabric scraps while I cut and sleep under my chair while I sit at my machine (my new vintage montgomery ward, LOVE IT!)

And puppy so relaxed in the cozy lined pocket

(If you're wondering why I'm calling her puppy and not mentioning her name... her name is Anna, she was named by by little brother's girlfriend's aunt, whose dog was her mother. And my name is also Anna. So, I guess I should change her name but I haven't been able to choose a name yet...)

Now I'd like to knit her some booties for when the snow falls. Anybody have a good knitting pattern for boots or socks for a 4 pound puppy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftster2

<y daughter, Bethany Linda

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010 06:27:50 PM »

Thats fab! And congrats on your new adorable puppy! She looks a little like my poodle x jack russell cross, Chloe. We taught her to go toilet by ringing a bell  Grin

Uploaded with Free Image Hosting
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marissaclay
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010 04:57:10 PM »

I love the robe and the puppy! If you find a good knitting pattern for those winter puppy booties, I would love to have it as well for my puppy, who also happens to be 4 pounds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knotmad
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010 02:43:01 AM »

Outrageously cute. Congrats on your new pal! I used to craft for my puppy too (also a Chloe) -- knitted her a scarf that was too long so she didn't like to wear it and so my brother took it. Made her 'saddle bags' which were really pockets attached to another bit of fabric that I could tie around her body. They worked, but looked funny because of the fabric I used.... Then I realized I didn't need her to carry anything.... Fun experiment though.

As far as booties: I also made these out of regular fabric, but found they made her feet wetter, and the ice balls that form between their toes were worse because the fabric was absorbent. I think it can be good to cover their feet if they will be walking through a lot of rock salts that people put down to de-ice roads, but Chloe hated wearing booties even when they were dry and it ended up being more trouble than they were worth. I was just easier to carry her if there was a lot of salt in places, or avoid those patches on our walks. If you do make booties, I think most pups could use some training to get used to wearing them, and definitely use a tear-resistant and non absorbent fabric for construction. Wonder what fabrics they use for the booties they put on sled dogs.... Thanks for the great project and the jaunt down memory lane! Happy pet-related crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkDaisy
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010 04:41:58 PM »

That is such an awesome idea. My boyfriend and I just got an English Bulldog puppy 2 1/2 weeks ago and she can't make it down the stairs yet, either. She thought she'd give it a go today, but she just slid all the way down as I chased after her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Jewelry/Plus Size Clothing Etsy:  http://etsy.com/shop/alibuttonsdesigns

My fatshion blog: http://alibuttons.blogspot.com/
DIY revolution
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010 10:32:39 AM »

Thanks for the ideas and advice! I have had lots more puppy crafting fun, made a quilted patchwork dog bed and did take a stab at the booties, which I knit with acrylic yarn. I think I'll put some tiny leather soles on the booties so as to avoid the ice issue, although that might be slippery to walk on.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
makeaneffort
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010 07:46:13 AM »

Oh my god sooo cute love the pup and the robe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Cleavage Like Lea Michele
How to Get the Celeb Boho Chic Style
Miley Cyrus Sets Tuxedo Jacket Trend at Billboard Music Awards 2012
2012 Cannes Film Festival Fashion Top Looks
Kristen Stewart Test-Drives the Printed Pants Trend in Cannes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...