A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,526
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glass Orb Terrarium???  (Read 805 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SheezCraftee

I will change my mind on something petty as a whim

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2005 03:49:47 PM »

A friend of mine a couple of months ago told me her mom went to a local flea market here in Memphis, TN, and said something about someone selling a pretty good sized glass orb on a stand that's supposed to be used a terrarium.  From what she gathered from her mom, the glass orb had a lid that would lift off.  Has anyone heard of these or know where to find one?  Her mom said they were selling them for like $200.  I don't want to spend that much on one, but I have no idea or the materials or equipment to make such a thing.  I've tried in vain to look for it or something similar online, but I have found nothing even close to it.  If anyone can tell me anything I would appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.

P.S.- If it was big enough, I was thinking about getting some fire belly toads or some tree frogs to put in it, ot I just might put my tarantula in it.

Cary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SheezCraftee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005 07:22:59 PM »

OK, I looked up terrarium on eBay and found something that sounds like what I was talking about.  It said something about a bubble terrarium, but it's plastic and cracked, and I don't think that's large enough for what I'm looking for right now.  Plus, it was open at the top without a lid.  Anyways, I at least hope this helps anyone who had any ideas for weird things as terrariums or vivariums....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005 08:57:47 PM »

If you're going to put toads in it shouldn't it have air holes? Just wondering cause the one you described sounds like all glass. Don't know how big you're looking for but could a glass lemonade thing do it? The one my family use to have held over 2 gal. and the lid was removable, I think my mom got it at Target.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snlfreak83
Hemp Kitty Art

The Crafty Cat Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005 09:07:38 PM »

Sounds interesting. I've never seen those before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafty kid. I just can't help myself.
SheezCraftee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005 03:21:54 PM »

No, I would assume it would need air holes.  ...But if it were open I would be afraid of something crawliing out of it.  Toads, frogs, and even my tarantula can crawl up glass like it's nothing.  The only one I've seen like I was talking about didn't even have a lid to it.  I was hoping to find one with a lid.  If not air holes, at least a lid then.  I have a drill bit that will drill through glass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wugly Dog

Wugly Hugley Dog

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005 06:45:06 AM »

How old are you guys???  In the 70's terrarriums were all the rage.  Hippies, bell bottom jeans, long hair and terrarriums...   What a geezer I am, LOL.  Anyway, I saw a new one the other day at Target - a huge glass jar.  BTW, they usually didn't have lids that completely closed them off - the plants would croak without oxygen.  "Ass Gas or Grass, Nobody Rides for Free!" <<<<<------- Bumper Sticker from the 70's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005 02:07:51 PM »

You could use one of those big 5 gallon water bottles.  The kind used on water coolers
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Amazing Slide Design Inside a Home
How to Make a Baby Travel Kit
Japanese Artists Create Balloon Couture Dresses
Artist Creates Kitchen Accessories Inspired By Bizarre Human Biology
Artistic Industrial Themed Liquid Lights
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...