A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A nice way to finish the back of an embroidery hoop.  (Read 17455 times)
Tags for this thread: embroidery_hoop , tutorial , embroidery  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2010 05:57:43 AM »

I am new to embroidery, and when leaving it in the hoop for display, I really didn't like the way the back looked (even if its against the wall). I am in the hoopla swap and searched all over for different ways to finish the back of the hoop, but wasn't really happy with any of them.  I woke up one morning, after dreaming about it, and knew just what I wanted to do.....I'm not sure if its been done before, but I know I didn't run across it anywhere.  My partner in the hoopla swap received her hoop yesterday and in the thread a few people asked how I did the back...I didn't take in progress pictures of what I sent, but lastnight I finished another hoop I already had....... . so without babbling anymore.... here it is....

from my big mess, to a nice finished look.....

pick out your fabric for the back, 2 pieces, right sides together. and trace the inside of your hoop.

trim about an inch or so away from your line, place batting underneath, sew ALL THE WAY AROUND THE CIRCLE, yes all the way.... and then trim as close as you can to the line (i did mine about an eighth of an inch)

now pinch ONE layer of the fabric and cut an inch slit in the middle and turn inside right

turn it over, so that the slit is on the underside and iron so that the seams are even all the way around the circle.... Place and pin your circle on the back of your hoop.

now go sit on the couch, its time to sew it on....I used regular thread and had it doubled... start by pulling a bit of your circle away from the hoop and inserting your needle coming through on the seem, leaving the tail of the thread tucked inbetween the hoop and the circle.  Little stitches are the best ... try to go in and out of the hoop material and the circle material so that when you pull your thread they match up and you cant see the thread.

when you have sewn all the way around knot  and put your needle in right where the knot is and come out an inch or so away, pull all the way and snip.

hope this was pretty easy to follow.... if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

here is the link to the front side of this hoop...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=358645.msg4201534#msg4201534

ADDED TO SHOW ANOTHER HOOP BACK
the back of this hoop also has embroidery on it..... take a look....

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=359184.new;topicseen#new

just keep in mind that the fabric that has the embroidery on it has to be in the middle (between the other piece of fabric and the batting) so that it isnt the one that gets the slit cut in it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011 05:58:32 PM by onegroovyday » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010 07:03:50 AM »

That is awesome! Thank you for the tutorial. The back looks as beautiful as the front.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tlh878
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010 07:16:58 AM »

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I know just how to finish my hoop now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010 08:20:17 AM »

i really wish i hadn't mailed my hoop thursday.  Undecided

oh well.. now i know for round 2... Cheesy

thanks ogd...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010 08:27:21 AM »

Nice!  That is a wonderful way to finish the back of a hoop.  Way nicer then sticking a piece of felt on there Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chirel
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010 10:19:11 AM »

Hi,

this looks nice, but I'm wondering if someone could explain something to me. Why do people use the hoops as frames? It looks nice, but it just seems like a strange thing to do. I mean you would need a new hoop for each of your embroideries. Isn't it expensive? I bet here it would be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010 12:25:30 PM »

OGD - Lovely! looks beautiful Smiley

chirel, I've been getting cheap hoops for under $5 (in New Zealand, so they're probably even cheaper in the US, don't know about where you are though). For framing, I don't use one of my expensive, heavy, name brand hoops, as it doesn't need to stand up to use. I actually stitch in a slightly larger, heavier hoop, then mount the embroidery in a new hoop the right size. The cheaper hoops look fine, they're just not hardwearing. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010 12:40:44 PM »

yeah, I stitch in one of my good hoops and when it comes time to finish it, I use one of the wooden ones, which I can find (in the US) for $1 to $5 depending on the size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chirel
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010 12:50:15 PM »

Thanks for the explanations. I don't actually know what the hoops cost here (in Finland) right now, but usually all craft supplies are expensive. But if you can get cheap hoops, then it makes sense to use them as frames as it really looks fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luckdragon

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010 04:22:00 PM »

Thanks so much for the tutorial!  Now at least I know what to do for the back of your hoop! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 in 2012 (24/50)
Looking for a vintage magazine (1974 - 1978) that has a fabric nativity set w/ people and animals. An example: http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=440861&ppuser=143144.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrate National Peach Cobber Day With This Delicious Recipe
Homemade Rice Krispies Squares Recipe
Traditional Panzerotti with Chef Luigi Diotaiuti
Tie-Dye Your Cheesecake for a Festive Easter Feast
How to Make Candy Dots, the Homemade Way
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...