A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chunky Houses Halloween Edition Gallery!!!  (Read 13856 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

coocoosnest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2010 06:02:41 AM »

I really like the Mad Hatter and the Mad Scientist. It's a shame we can't have Halloween every month. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Learning to see by the dark of the moon as well as the light of the day.
irid3sc3nt

I <3 Halloween

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2010 08:44:43 AM »

The mad scientist house was mostly based on Mary Shelley's book, Frankenstein; or The Modern Prometheus.  The raggedy quote on the front is from the book.  The image on the front is Colin Clive from the 1931 production of Frankenstein directed by James Whale.  The polymer clay round objects were inspired by drawings and images of mad scientist's laboratories.  They always have some strange object spouting electricity.  The polymer clay electricity is glow-in-the-dark and I used some images of Nikola Tesla in his laboratory to make it look more like electricity rather than use a generic lightning bolt shape.  The chaos of wire and beads sortof represents the chaos in the mad scientist's head and also his lab.  The shape of the house is the tower of Castle Frankenstein (yep, there actually is one) in Germany.  I added the prongs at the top.  On the backside, the photo of the human brain in the jar was taken by Gaetan Lee from London.  It's a Wikimedia Commons image.  The headstones were drawn by Edward Gorey.  The quote on the back is from the book Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensics Lab, The Body Farm, Where the Dead Do Tell Tales by Dr. Bill Bass.  It's a great book, btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
Please send packages with postage stamps when you can!
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2010 08:58:31 AM »

irid3sc3nt, your house is so great.  I love hearing the references/idea behind you work. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coocoosnest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2010 11:26:42 AM »

I saw a documentary on Nikola Tesla not too long ago and it was fascinating. I love all the details too and I love hearing how people come up with their ideas.  In the house I made for atsuko, I used pictures of an old house in the woods where my DH's aunt used to live many years ago. I took those pictures about twenty years ago and I don't believe the house is even still standing now.  It was great fun looking through old photos trying to find pictures to use.  The ones I used for teag's are pictures I took of Waverly Hill's sanatorium a few years ago. The front of teag's hoouse shows the front entrance to Waverly and the back shows a shot up through the roof from inside the top floor looking up at the towers.  Danniquee's house was a lot of fun to do too. I had originally used one of my own photos for this house but was having trouble fitting the scene from the Shining into the window. So I found one on the internet and with much tweaking I think it worked out. With the front window being broken into three sections I think it covered up just enough of the scene so as not to make it too gory.(With this being my first swap I didn't want everyone to think I was too morbid. Grin) I also used the old woman corpse from the movie and put her up in the top window. But since she was naked, I did blur her out quite a bit. I also used the house number of 237 which was the room the little boy was told to stay away from. The Shining is one of my all time favorite movies.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aisy
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2010 12:50:39 PM »

The mad scientist house was mostly based on Mary Shelley's book, Frankenstein; or The Modern Prometheus.  The raggedy quote on the front is from the book.  The image on the front is Colin Clive from the 1931 production of Frankenstein directed by James Whale.  The polymer clay round objects were inspired by drawings and images of mad scientist's laboratories.  They always have some strange object spouting electricity.  The polymer clay electricity is glow-in-the-dark and I used some images of Nikola Tesla in his laboratory to make it look more like electricity rather than use a generic lightning bolt shape.  The chaos of wire and beads sortof represents the chaos in the mad scientist's head and also his lab.  The shape of the house is the tower of Castle Frankenstein (yep, there actually is one) in Germany.  I added the prongs at the top.  On the backside, the photo of the human brain in the jar was taken by Gaetan Lee from London.  It's a Wikimedia Commons image.  The headstones were drawn by Edward Gorey.  The quote on the back is from the book Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensics Lab, The Body Farm, Where the Dead Do Tell Tales by Dr. Bill Bass.  It's a great book, btw.
im actually reading frankenstein in class right now so your house was very fitting
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irid3sc3nt

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2010 02:44:25 PM »

I saw a documentary on Nikola Tesla not too long ago and it was fascinating. I love all the details too and I love hearing how people come up with their ideas.  In the house I made for atsuko, I used pictures of an old house in the woods where my DH's aunt used to live many years ago. I took those pictures about twenty years ago and I don't believe the house is even still standing now.  It was great fun looking through old photos trying to find pictures to use.  The ones I used for teag's are pictures I took of Waverly Hill's sanatorium a few years ago. The front of teag's hoouse shows the front entrance to Waverly and the back shows a shot up through the roof from inside the top floor looking up at the towers.  Danniquee's house was a lot of fun to do too. I had originally used one of my own photos for this house but was having trouble fitting the scene from the Shining into the window. So I found one on the internet and with much tweaking I think it worked out. With the front window being broken into three sections I think it covered up just enough of the scene so as not to make it too gory.(With this being my first swap I didn't want everyone to think I was too morbid. Grin) I also used the old woman corpse from the movie and put her up in the top window. But since she was naked, I did blur her out quite a bit. I also used the house number of 237 which was the room the little boy was told to stay away from. The Shining is one of my all time favorite movies.   
Oooh, did you venture inside Waverly? 
I like The Shining, too.  I swear that half the creepiness of that movie is the music.  The made-for-tv version follows the book better, but you can't beat Jack Nicholson.  I've actually visited the Stanley Hotel since it's pretty close to me.  I heard that they're charging people to come visit.  When I went, it was free.  One of my favorite photographs is me standing next to the wife's grand piano.

I read Frankenstein for my Gods and Monsters English lit class in college.  I remember it being an excellent book.  It's interesting to see all the adapations, parodies, etc. that have sprouted from it.  Also, that somehow Frankenstein's monster is now referred to as Frankenstein.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
coocoosnest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2010 04:38:54 PM »

Oooooo I would die to get to see the Stanley Hotel! I've been to Waverly a couple of times. We live very near there, it's just about a 15 or 20 minute drive. It's very spooky but mostly you just feel sad walking through it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WYOKrista

I love sunflowers

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2010 08:14:48 PM »

I have driven by the stanley, grew up in denver, but never brave enough to stop.  you folks impress me, here is what inspired me, ummm I had that glue and that rubber stamp and they go together with that photo ...and oh yes! put a hat on them! woo! ....  sorry, the shallow truth is out  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YES! I would love to be your Creative Memories Consultant! Just ask
irid3sc3nt

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2010 08:45:19 PM »

I have driven by the stanley, grew up in denver, but never brave enough to stop.  you folks impress me, here is what inspired me, ummm I had that glue and that rubber stamp and they go together with that photo ...and oh yes! put a hat on them! woo! ....  sorry, the shallow truth is out  Grin

The Stanley is pretty tame.  There's a difference between a place that is still being inhabited and one that isn't.  The Stanley also has some memorabilia related to The Shining, but mostly it's about the history of the owner and steam engines and such.  It's pretty grand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2010 07:59:22 AM »

Wow, Coocoosnest, you took the pic that you used for my house?  That is awesome.  Now I'll treasure it all the more. 

irid3sc3nt, I bet that was one heck of an interesting class.  My hubby loves Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein.  *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Grouping Palettes into Clusters
Adobe InDesign CS2 - File Handling Preferences and Type Tool Options
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Display Performance and Appearance of Black Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Guides, Pasteboards, Spelling and Story Editor Preferences
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Units, Increments and Grids Preferences
Latest Blog Articles
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags
Whatz Up, My Peeps?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...