A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
385 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kromski Mistrel Wheel- Anyone have one?  (Read 585 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

YarnWranglerC
Fiber

If only I could craft all the time.

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2010 12:51:19 PM »

I have been saving up for a wheel and after looking at all the different wheels I think I want a Kromski Minstrel. But I would like to hear some feedback from those that have one.

I would love to get a Spinolution Mach 2, but it is out of the budget, and I think is something that I will need to work towards.

Here is what I am looking for in a wheel, so if anyone has any suggestions on other wheels I am open to those as well.
Double Drive with Scotch Tension option
Double Treadle (I have arthritis in my hips and knees)
Castle Style (I don't have a ton of room)
Different options for ratios, and expandable
Prices not above $600 or so
Something pretty (the babes are okay, but I want something that will blend with the decor, and I think the minstrel is gorgeous)

I am sure I am missing something, but this is a good start
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps, especially for fiber or spinning related tools!
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010 02:14:06 PM »

Personally, I loved my Ashford Traveller as my first wheel 8 years ago.

It has:

* Double Drive with Scotch (or Irish) Tension option
* Double Treadle
* Castle Style
* 6.5, 8.5 11.5 ratios, plus  you can get the Jumbo Flyer or High Speed Flyer or even a Quill spindle for it.
(FWIW: Nathan Lee makes a WooLee Winder for the Traveler  DD, DT (and is working on one for the the DD, DT Jumbo Flyer!)

Ashford makes a sliding hook flyer for both the regular and Jumbo flyers, if you didn't want to go with the WooLee winder

I think it is pretty.  It was my Go-To Wheel for 6 years until I got the Kromskit Sonata.

What I really like about the Traveller above the Minstrel is that the Traveler has 4 legs to the Minstel's 3.  That extra leg makes the wheel much more stable.

Check with susansfibershop.com for your wheel.  Susan is a wonderful fiber gal and will usually cut a deal, either with the price of the wheel, extra accesories or free shipping.  I am not affiliated with Susan at all except for being a customer for the past 8 years.  She usually runs an ad on the inside backpage of Spin Off magazine.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010 02:15:42 PM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
YarnWranglerC
Fiber

If only I could craft all the time.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010 01:00:13 PM »

MLF- Thank you sooo sooo much for your input. I have been thinking long and hard about what you said.
Thank you also for the link to Susans shop. I have created a spreadsheet comparing options and prices between the paradisefibers.net site and her site. It has given me much to think about. (I am a little bit overly analytical of stuff like that, maybe a little OCD)

Also fantastic news, my MIL is down from Idaho visiting for my SIL's wedding, and we are both crafty, she is a knitter and crocheter. And I was showing her my first fairly even drop spindle spun yarn, and talking about getting a wheel, and she said she has a wheel that she will never use and I am welcome to have it. I don't know what wheel it is exaclty, but I know its a Saxony style wheel that her husbands ex-wife used to teach spinning, once upon a time. So hopefully it will be a wheel I can use, it will have all its parts and pieces, and barring that will be something I can get parts for without having to sell my first-born. So fingers crossed! (I squeeeed in my head a little when she told me that.)

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps, especially for fiber or spinning related tools!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Setup Preferences
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Create and Place a Catalog
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Customize Preferences
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Export and Share Images
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - How to Develop a Module
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...