A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What fibers have you tried?  (Read 640 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nystitchwitch
« on: September 13, 2010 07:07:11 AM »

I have spun sheep's wool, goat hair (mohair) and labordoodle (dog hair) with my drop spindles. I would like to try other fibers that are not on the beaten fiber path. So give me ideas will you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blackie.sage
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010 02:55:41 PM »

I'm new to spinning, and all I've been able to get my hands on were some tiny amounts of wool for felting.

I'm getting an Angora bunny on Friday, and I'm super excited to learn to spin something as nice as angora. I'm sure it's going to be tough at first since it's so silky, but I think it will be worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
WMA
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010 05:43:03 PM »

I must say I'm having a hard time thinking of fibers not on the beaten path...especially after hanging around the spinning boards for a while, lol. You name it and someone here has probably spun it or at least attempted to! Some of the fibers off the beaten path for me would be camel, yak, buffalo, quiviut, possum...mainly because they're so expensive. Also haven't tried milk protein fiber or ecospun (recycled plastic bottles). I have, however, spun several breeds of sheep wool (soooooo many left to try though, lol), alpaca, llama, angora, mohair, silk, bamboo, cat, dog, Halloween spider web stuff, milkweed fluff...um...I'm sure there are a few more, lol.

Check these out for other fun ideas...
'The weirdest things we could spin? A game!' http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=326340.0
'am i crazy? adventures in alternate fiber' http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=296906.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blackie.sage
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010 09:18:09 PM »

Possum? Like, play-dead-scary-sharp-teeth-under-your-porch possum? Their hair is so short though. Wow.

I've also spun plarn on my drop spindle, but that's not really unique anymore. I tried making paper yarn once, because I saw a really awesome window curtain project. I couldn't get it right, but I'm sure someone with more practice than me could!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
nystitchwitch
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010 07:25:49 AM »

I just heard about milkweed fuzz,  am tepted to try it and if my gauge comes out right do some lace.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010 05:16:32 PM »

nystitchwitch ... don't bother with milkweed fuzz ... it is very hard to spin, comes out like a rope when you use the correct amount of twist to hold it together and then (I've heard) becomes very brittle.

If you want to spin milkweed, use the fiber in the stalk after it dries.  That is my fall/winter project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Succeed on Jeopardy
How to Succeed on Wheel of Fortune
How to Succeed on Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader
How to Succeed on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
How to Play Flip Cup
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...