A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kromski Mistrel Wheel- Anyone have one?  (Read 581 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

YarnWranglerC
Fiber

If only I could craft all the time.

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2010 12:51:19 PM »

I have been saving up for a wheel and after looking at all the different wheels I think I want a Kromski Minstrel. But I would like to hear some feedback from those that have one.

I would love to get a Spinolution Mach 2, but it is out of the budget, and I think is something that I will need to work towards.

Here is what I am looking for in a wheel, so if anyone has any suggestions on other wheels I am open to those as well.
Double Drive with Scotch Tension option
Double Treadle (I have arthritis in my hips and knees)
Castle Style (I don't have a ton of room)
Different options for ratios, and expandable
Prices not above $600 or so
Something pretty (the babes are okay, but I want something that will blend with the decor, and I think the minstrel is gorgeous)

I am sure I am missing something, but this is a good start
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps, especially for fiber or spinning related tools!
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010 02:14:06 PM »

Personally, I loved my Ashford Traveller as my first wheel 8 years ago.

It has:

* Double Drive with Scotch (or Irish) Tension option
* Double Treadle
* Castle Style
* 6.5, 8.5 11.5 ratios, plus  you can get the Jumbo Flyer or High Speed Flyer or even a Quill spindle for it.
(FWIW: Nathan Lee makes a WooLee Winder for the Traveler  DD, DT (and is working on one for the the DD, DT Jumbo Flyer!)

Ashford makes a sliding hook flyer for both the regular and Jumbo flyers, if you didn't want to go with the WooLee winder

I think it is pretty.  It was my Go-To Wheel for 6 years until I got the Kromskit Sonata.

What I really like about the Traveller above the Minstrel is that the Traveler has 4 legs to the Minstel's 3.  That extra leg makes the wheel much more stable.

Check with susansfibershop.com for your wheel.  Susan is a wonderful fiber gal and will usually cut a deal, either with the price of the wheel, extra accesories or free shipping.  I am not affiliated with Susan at all except for being a customer for the past 8 years.  She usually runs an ad on the inside backpage of Spin Off magazine.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010 02:15:42 PM by mullerslanefarm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
YarnWranglerC
Fiber

If only I could craft all the time.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010 01:00:13 PM »

MLF- Thank you sooo sooo much for your input. I have been thinking long and hard about what you said.
Thank you also for the link to Susans shop. I have created a spreadsheet comparing options and prices between the paradisefibers.net site and her site. It has given me much to think about. (I am a little bit overly analytical of stuff like that, maybe a little OCD)

Also fantastic news, my MIL is down from Idaho visiting for my SIL's wedding, and we are both crafty, she is a knitter and crocheter. And I was showing her my first fairly even drop spindle spun yarn, and talking about getting a wheel, and she said she has a wheel that she will never use and I am welcome to have it. I don't know what wheel it is exaclty, but I know its a Saxony style wheel that her husbands ex-wife used to teach spinning, once upon a time. So hopefully it will be a wheel I can use, it will have all its parts and pieces, and barring that will be something I can get parts for without having to sell my first-born. So fingers crossed! (I squeeeed in my head a little when she told me that.)

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps, especially for fiber or spinning related tools!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Voile in Sewing Projects
Preparing and Marking Fabric for Sewing Projects
Pinning Fabric for Sewing Projects
How to Transfer Sewing Pattern Markings
How to Sew Machine Buttonholes
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...