A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,033
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stocking stuffers 2010  (Read 5287 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dancedupapillon
« on: September 10, 2010 11:52:13 AM »

Hey guys and gals,

This year will be my first living with my boyfriend, and as we were discussing both finances and how to combine our family christmas traditions over the breakfast table this morning, I started thinking about what I'd make to fill his stocking with.  I have two problems:  1. Hiding crafts is hard when we live together and 2.  I'm really really broke (I'm doing my teaching practicum this year, which means little to no income on my end...)  Time to bust that stash!

So I propose a thread.  Crafty stocking stuffers!
My ideas so far:
- ex libris bookplates (designed by me, printed by the University printers for cheap)
- knitted socks
- caramel popcorn
- big ol' coffee mug (that I will paint)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
MsMia

Christmas, Fall, and Winter Lover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010 05:21:39 AM »

Along with you, Christmas this year will be a financial stretch.  I am grad student who is not currently working, who is due to have a baby this week, with a 5 year old and a 4 year old.  Also my birthday is in December.

I decided to start 2 traditions this year:
1) Focus on more family activities we can do for the month of December
2)And to start four present Christmas tradition...Each of us gets "Something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read"

I already plan to make all FIVE (wow that sounds like alot of people) of us pjs.  And I plan to let the kids make gifts for daddy and the grandparents.

I am going to compile a list of 25 things for us to do each day for Christmas and attempt to collect pictures of it all for a Holiday Scrapbook.

I also "window shop" the thrift stores, clearance racks and the dollar stores for odds and ends to add to stockings or to make a larger gift.  For example, last year after Halloween I bought clearance costumes and made the kids dress up boxes for under $20.

Also trading/bartering for things is helpful.

As far as hiding gifties, maybe you can leave things in a secret box at a friends or if the items are small use an old shoe box and fill it with items and place with your other shoes.  I keep a year around gift box that add things to as I find them for very cheap, like right now it is full of school supplies due to the awesome back to school sales and I can whip a Art and Crafts gift bag for a child in seconds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010 06:39:23 PM »

MsMia - what a great idea for the four gifts! Cheesy

Okay my stocking stuffer contributions ...

earrings/bracelets
"travel" items (i.e. - small toothpaste, small deodorant, etc. - always useful!)
scarf
nice (crafted!) picture frames w/ sentimental pictures
fun soaps
homemade bbq/spice rubs
ornaments
small embroideries

and what about making the stocking itself?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftycakelady
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010 11:48:16 PM »

2)And to start four present Christmas tradition...Each of us gets "Something you want, something you need, something to wear and something to read"

This is a wonderful idea!!  Thank you for sharing that.  Kind of helps put things in perspective for me when I have so many ideas and am short on funds.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010 07:02:44 AM »

I love the four present idea, especially for families so that the kids learn that there is more to the holidays than receiving tonnes and tonnes of presents.  I often find that I don't use most of the stuff I get for Christmas for a long time, and I don't have room in my appartment for to many more things!

Sam and I require  a little more thriftiness this year, so we'll stick to one present (I already got mine! A sparkly sapphire engagement ring Cheesy  He's getting a knitted sweater) plus stocking stuffers.

Something else stocking stuffer sized I've thought about:  Felted soaps.  I've never made/used one before.  Is wet wool wierd when you're washing with it?  I just think they look so pretty, so I want to try them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
SevsOnlyGirl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010 07:23:07 AM »

MsMia - I love the 4 traditions!  That's great!

dancedupapillon - felted soap definitely isn't weird to wash with.  It's actually soft and you don't realize it's not just soap - mine always lathers up so richly!  You should definitely try some!

Things we do:  special candy or gum that the kids don't normally get, homemade chapstick, jewelry (handmade usually), silly little stuff from the dollar store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bedheadchic

handmade, homebaked, gifts, joy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010 02:00:03 PM »

MsMia - we do the 25 days of Xmas thing too. We were a new family last year so I wanted to start some family traditions, I made an advent calendar with new tasks such as picking holly for a wreath, making cards and wrapping up warm for a family hike.

Your kids will appreciate the memories for years to come and so much more special than a bunch of plastic stuff that will get forgotten or broken (I have a plastic ban for my son's xmas/ birthdays).

Blue Skies
Charlotte xx

THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'blueskiesblog.blogspot.com')
wists.com/charlottetp

January Birthday Swap - Sent
Keep Me Warm Swap - Sent
International Snack Swap - Completed
jhamilt9
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010 01:46:17 PM »

I'm going to make key fobs for some people - my folks are going travelling next year, so I thought it'd be good for them to put on their bags.

For my folks
*key fobs
*passport holders
*journal cover
*homemade coasters from the kids (will get the kids to draw on them in fabric marker, and I'll make it with insulbrite)

For my sister
*key fob
not sure what else! will have to look for ideas

my kids (4yrs and 5yrs)
*key fobs - will go on my daughters bag as she's starting school next yr, I'll make one for my son so he doesnt feel left out!

not sure what else for the kids
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010 07:59:25 AM »

(I have a plastic ban for my son's xmas/ birthdays).

Oh man.  If I could only get everyone on board with this idea.  I told my mom *1 gift*  And she said oh of course!  and their Stockings and the Pj's and thier ornament. yeah. Mom, that's not 1 gift.  :/

And this:

Is Brilliant.  I shall take your idea and run with it!

I'm trying to make my kids and Hubby 1 handmade gift.  Perhaps it will also be PJ's as I like the family to look fab on Christmas morning for pics, I generally give PJ's on christmas eve. So this is perfect (and a perfect excuse to go to the Medium city and hit up Fabricland) 
I'm going to have trouble making the Hubby his big gift (A World of warcraft embroidered quilt), as i can't get much crafting done during the day.  But I'll sure try and keep it a secret from him!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bedheadchic

handmade, homebaked, gifts, joy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010 01:19:16 PM »

(I have a plastic ban for my son's xmas/ birthdays).

Oh man.  If I could only get everyone on board with this idea.  I told my mom *1 gift*  And she said oh of course!  and their Stockings and the Pj's and thier ornament. yeah. Mom, that's not 1 gift.  :/

... I have to be cruel to enforce this - everything unsuitable goes to the charity shop come Boxing Day. I'm sure it's going to get harder as the little man gets bigger and actually has a say, but maybe by then my family will start being obedient to my facism listening to my requests!

Blue Skies
Charlotte xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'blueskiesblog.blogspot.com')
wists.com/charlottetp

January Birthday Swap - Sent
Keep Me Warm Swap - Sent
International Snack Swap - Completed
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A New Way to Flatten Images in CS3
5 Tips For Layer Styles
5 Things You Need to Know About the Gradient Tool in Photoshop
5 Things You Need to Know About Filters in Photoshop
Using the Ken Burns Effect with Final Cut Pro
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...