A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,790
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making buttons  (Read 1796 times)
Tags for this thread: button  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 08, 2010 09:29:06 PM »

Can polymer clay buttons be washed? in the washing machine?  (sewn onto something of course)

What is the shiney stuff I've seen on buttons?  Is it some kind of varnish?  Does it help make them more durable or is it just for looks?

I was thinking of making some fun buttons for a coat for my son, but I dont want them to break easily!
Monster Kookies

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010 06:06:28 AM »

I wouldn't recommend making your buttons from Sculpey III - that clay could definitely break during the washing or drying process. Try using a more stronger clay like Fimo or Premo, and you can wash the garments with the buttons no problem, and they can also be dried safely. Just make sure the buttons aren't really thin or brittle - make them thicker and solid.

Usually you see a glaze/finish on buttons. It is both for durability and looks. This is all well and good if you use your buttons in scrapbooking and stuff, but I am not sure how well the glaze would hold up during the washing/drying process... instead of glazing your buttons, try sanding/buffing/polishing them to get them to a nice sheen.

Hope this helps!

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010 08:19:48 AM »

Agree with monstercookies about everything, though I might also include FimoSoft (FimoClassic is fine) in the list of too-brittle clays along with Sculpey III (and SuperSculpey, and original Sculpey). 
You'll also want to be sure the clay you use for the buttons is well conditioned to make sure all the ingredients are well mixed, and also be sure the clay has been fully baked/polymerized, for the best final strength. 
There's also loads of info on making polymer clay into buttons (for functional or decorative use) on this page of my polymer clay "encyclopedia":

Also as mentioned, you can use various materials and/or techniques to give polymer clay a shiny surface (polymer clay alone doesn't need "sealing" though).       
Liquid "varnishes" of various kinds can be used, though for a glossy appearance you'd want to use one that came in a "Gloss" version.  Some types of those cannot be used on polymer clay though since it is a plastic (any that are petroleum-solvent based and must be cleaned up or thinned with paint thinner/etc--also no dry cleaning for polymer clay), and some of them just aren't as tough as others (and may become scratched or become cloudy from absorbing humidity). 
The toughest clear liquid finishes are the clear polyurethanes (water-based) like the Varathane brand, and acrylic floor polishes like Future or Mop 'N Glo.  Some of the brands of "sealer" or "varnish" you'll see in craft stores are actually the same thing just rebottled (e.g., Studio by Sculpey's Gloss Glaze finish --note that this is different from just "Sculpey Gloss Glaze" which is clear in the bottle and probably more like their older, less-wondeful version of a gloss finish).
Less-tough liquid finishes are things like clear epoxy resins, "acrylics mediums" intended to mix with acrylic paints, permanent white glues or "dimensional" white glues, clear embossing powders, etc.
None of those really make the clay item much stronger (unless perhaps naturally thick, or applied with multiple coats for a little more strength), but using liquid polymer clay can make a clay item stronger (though if it's not a very thin coat or heated high enough, can make the surface a bit cloudy).   For most button shapes you wouldn't need to worry about strength though (as long as well conditioned and baked, and only strong clays are used), but you'd probably want to avoid any "projections," or any thin areas next to thick areas so that lot of stress could be put on them. 
There's much more info about using liquid finishes, as well as liquid polymer clay and epoxy resins, on these pages:

Because polymer clay is plastic it can also be "sanded-then-buffed" (after curing) to get even smoother surfaces that can range in appearance from beautifully-satiny all the way up to super-high-gloss (all the way to gloss will require an electric buffer instead of buffing by hand).  Here's more info about doing that:
(and when using a Dremel/rotary tool:) http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/tools_Dremels_worksurfaces.htm
A lot of clayers prefer the look of sanding and buffing to using liquid finishes but many clayers also use polyurethane/Varathane in particular when they have something they want a gloss on (or need to seal something onto the surface or prevent things added to the surface from oxidizing).

As for washing and drying, those things won't really affect bare clay negatively and probably wouldn't affect the regular liquid finishes (though Future is thin so may eventually disappear) unless there were really-rough-surface things in the machine that would be rubbing against them for awhile (acting like coarse-grain sandpaper).  In fact polymer clay can come out kind of buffed in the process of being heated and rubbed on by clothing (and some people even intentionally put clay beads in the dryer awhile to buff them on purpose). 
You'd also want to wait at least a week for any finish to "cure" as well as to dry (and perhaps also do the "re-baking" technique which hardens finishes like that even more --see Baking page at my site for more on that).
And you'd also want to avoid actually soaking the buttons/clothing for several hours or more, since long-term contact with water can affect acrylic paints and finishes over time (making them cloudy, or even loosening  from their surfaces).

Have fun and show us what you make!

Diane B.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010 11:41:09 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010 08:21:11 PM »

Thank you thank you thank you for all the great information!   That helps a lot!

I saw these:

And thats the 'look' Im going for - I need to experiment and see what I can come up with!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010 05:09:29 AM »

If he's little and puts shirt buttons in his mouth, it might not be safe.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kurt Warner’s Turkey Burger Sliders
5 Ways To Put A Twist On a PB&J
How to Thaw a Frozen Turkey
How to Make Ham and Bananas Hollandaise
How to Make Honey Brisket Sloppy Joes with Herb Kentucky Lime Salad
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...