A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crochet around fabric?  (Read 966 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twylag
« on: September 08, 2010 04:37:46 AM »

What is the best way to add my crochet around some fabric as an edging?I've tried both blanket stitching and then grabbing it with a hook; and I've tried poking holes with an awl and scooping the yarn directly with my hook and they are both equally *tough* (think hours fr a few inches worth of stitches).  Maybe its my fabric, but its just a broadcloth type; or my needle, a pokey darning type; but I am really having a difficult time getting anything accomplished.  Does anyone have any ideas on another way??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010 06:10:49 AM »

those are the only methods I have heard of.  I believe it will be fairly slow no matter what.

one suggestion, is your needle a yarn needle or a sewing needle?  a sewing needle will make the blanket stitch go a lot faster.  also try using embroidery floss for the blanket stitch instead of yarn as that might help as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
craftdabbler UK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010 03:46:10 AM »

Yes, like kjlutz those are the only ways I have seen mentioned.
However, I wanted to put a light worsted weight yarn edging on a fleece blanket and I did it another way.
I got matching thread for the blanket then with my sewing machine I went all round the edges in the largest zigzag stitch my machine could do.  After that I worked single crochet with my yarn INTO THE MACHINE STITCHING. 
Then I had neat sc stitches visible on the front, and just the top of those stitches visible at the edge on the back. 
So then I was ready to crochet my shell edging on.
Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010 04:11:23 AM »

There is a sewing machine needle called a"winged" needle. which can be used to stitch/poke holes into the fabric. I found it works best on a cotton/broadcloth weave which is lightly starched.
The crochet hook traditionally used for this type of work had a sharpened point which made it easier to poke through the fabric but those type of hooks are mainly for thread work and are very scarce. I have one or two of them and the tip is sharp enough to draw blood if you aren't carefull.

I use an awl to poke the holes in and stich into those. The first bit is always tricky but you will quickly get the hang of it and the next row is absolute bliss Cheesy
Some fabric is "selfhealing" which means that you have to work fairly quickly and keep the awl close by to help poke holes open again. (This is where lightly starching it helps)
I also use a 2.75mm steel hook even if I am working with a thicker yarn - I change to a more suitable hook for the yarn thickness, on the next row.

You may find this link helpfull:
http://www.edgerydoo.com/edgerydoo002F.html

I have bought the template and it does make the job easier, but you could just use tools from home if you are good at measuring Wink
I hope it helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Leela
How to Draw Leonardo
How to Draw Kou Ichinomiya
How to Draw Kisaragi Ryuji
How to Draw Kinji Tohyama
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...