You know I'm in my thirties and you would think that I might be long in the tooth for bright red lace. Alas, it is Halloween and if there isn't a holiday where your normal, everyday lady can wear bright red lace then I'm done with holidays.
Anyway, here is the tute.
- 1/2 yard of lace. Could be bright red or even black. Whatever your little heart desires. White would be very cool. I used a piece of lace with a scalloped edge along the selvage. You don't have to.
- 3 pieces of 8 1/2 x 11 light card stock to match your lace.
- Scotch Tape
- Tack 2000 or 3M 77 spray glue
- Binder clips
- Bobby pins
- Needle and thread to match. (Optional)
What to do -
- Place 2 pieces of the card stock length wise. Tape the center.
- Cut the other piece in half lengthwise and tape on top of other card stock length wise. Take this time to fit the card stock to your head. I have a giant mutant head so the length was perfect. If it's too big cut it accordingly.
- Place your fabric on top and cut the fabric to fit the card stock leaving an inch or so overlapping.
- Take your card stock and fabric outside and spray the glue allover the paper. Spray the hell out of it and let sit for a minute.
- Place the fabric carefully over the paper and press down, leaving part of the fabric overlapping.
- Wrap the paper in a circle and spray enough glue for your overlap. Place the overlap on the glue and clip.
- You can then hand-stitch the seam for stability. I didn't, I'm lazy but I will probably do that later.
- Let dry for 1 hour.
- After dry, cut points into top of hat. Go crazy! I was more subdued because I only had a little lace.
Now here's the fun part -
- If you have a scalloped edge, place hat on first then take the scalloped edge on the brim of hat and secure on the back of your head with bobby pins. If there is no scalloped edge, place excess fabric across the face and secure on the back of your head and then put on the hat, hiding the edge.
Well, there you are. How scary is the top photo!?
Have fun with it. If you have any questions or tips, please let me know!