A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,791
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help! lining?  (Read 858 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweet samgirl
« on: August 11, 2010 10:43:33 AM »

Hey you guys,

I'm a new member and a new sewer. I got a sewing machine a month ago, it was broken, took it back, and now I have a new one. All I've made was a saggy bag/tote (unsuccessful) and a bib for my baby cousin (which looked pretty good).

Recently I've been looking at sewing books, and I found an eyeglass case from the book Sew Darn Cute by Jenny Ryan. I've made the outside. I use brown linen and quilt batting, top stitching designs on both sides of the case and then sewing the three sides together, leaving an opening.

What I DON'T understand is how to insert the lining! She says to 'sew three sides of the lining, right sides together, then turn right side out' but then she continues with 'insert lining piece into the exterior of the cozy with right sides together, lining up the seams. pin the lining and exterior pieces together and sew at the top, leaving a 2 and a half opening along 1 side for turning right side out.' It does not make ANY sense to me!!!

Someone PLEASE EXPLAIN in simple terms. I'd love you forever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweet samgirl
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010 12:10:56 PM »

I seriously need help, even if someone could explain their method of attaching lining would be very useful!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010 05:49:04 PM »

I don't know the pattern, but let's see if I can help...
Basically, to do lining, you make a copy of the outside in a different fabric. The instructions there are telling you to sew the lining to itself first, so it looks like what you have so far of the outside. Once you have both looking the same, pin the outside and inside, right sides together. They should match up since they're both the same at this point, just in different fabrics. Sew them to eachother along the "top," whatever that may be for this pattern (I'd have to see it to know, sorry). You have to leave a small opening when you sew the lining to the outside so that you can flip the whole thing right side out, then sew the opening up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010 06:14:57 PM »

im not sure i can make it clearer or if ill make it worse but yeah she's basically saying

1. sew bottom and sides of outside case (brown linen)
i am assuming you did your designs with the brown linen and quilt batting pinned together
2. sew bottom and sides of your lining (whatever fabric you choose, something soft would be good since your glasses will be tucked in against it)
3.  turn lining right side out (the side of the fabric you want to see) but leave the brown linen wrong side out (the side you dont want to see)
4.  tuck lining into the brown linen case (like a cup tucked into another cup)...these means the right sides should be facing each other and pin at opening
5.  sew along the edge but do not sew all the way you need an opening to turn the entire thing right side out, you should have what looks like an inside out long skinny pillowcase with the opening in the middle, turn so the right sides are facing out.
6.  then push the lining into the brown linen and then sew along the top making sure to close up your opening as you do so

not sure if that was any clearer...heres a blog site (not mine) with pictures.  http://amazingmae.blogspot.com/2009/05/glasses-case-tutorial.html keep in mind she does not use 2 pieces of fabric for the outside and 2 for the inside.  she uses 1 for each and simply folds over and sews on side and the bottom to make the case.  

eeps.  hope that helps a little
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010 06:19:01 PM by rlynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweet samgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010 06:45:03 AM »

ohh man I must be really stupid...

BUT I THINK I DID IT! Cheesy  thank you both.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kunoni
can't stay inside the lines..

fly away...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010 03:10:29 PM »

I know this topic's been answered, but thanks so much rlynn!
I thought i knew how to attach a lining but wasn't sure!
and though I know there's good tutorials on burda, the site wasn't working.
Turns out I was right. But this just made me certain.

years of sewing plushies led me to this idea of how to attach a lining.
but thanks still!
you just helped me a LOT! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~shine shine shine~
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010 04:41:18 PM »

youre very welcome.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Square Origami Box
How to make an Origami Butterfly from Water Bomb Base
How to Make your Own CD Cover
How to Fold an Origami Lucky Star
How to make an Origami Waterbomb or Paper Balloon
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...