A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kiss Lock - Kiss Closure Wallet-- Tutorial of Sorts  (Read 2861 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annigirl22
Kickin Ass since '89

ninja! or something like that...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 01, 2011 01:33:06 PM »

So, after searching for hours looking for a tutorial on kiss lock bags... searching clam closure, clam locks, kiss locks, kiss closure, I searched everything I could think of and could not find anything. (I'm sure as soon as I post this someone will point me in the right direction.) But I could wait no longer. So, I just took a scissors and some fabric I didn't mind destroying, and hopped to it.
I ordered three kiss closures from http://www.etsy.com/shop/bagpurseframes she has EVERYTHING. It's a little crazy. Anyway. I received them and was still a little bit lost. I looked up some pictures and this is what I came up with afterwards.

This is the final product.

Starting out put two layers of fabric down. Trace around the outside of the kiss closure, and decide how large of a bottom you want the purse to have. Fold over the material, and trace the opposite side of the kiss closure.

Cut about 5/8 of an inch outside of the lines for the tracing, down to the edge of the tracing. Square off the edges, unless you really want just a short super square wallet type deal. Similar to this picture.

(I apologize for the quality of the not so great pictures.)

Fold over the edges of the traced part of the bag, about 1/4 of an inch. **but make sure to check before you sew** I had to rip out what I was doing probably six times, just on this particular step. The kiss closure needs to be touching all around, and fit comfortably, when pressed into the closure. Sew!

Now, for connecting the lock. I used super glue, and many people will tell you NOT to do that. Something to do with the fabric and the way the glue bonds to it... It boils down to, it is way better to use something like craft glue, or hot glue (watch out for burns!!) sometimes gorrilla glue. It all depends really on what you like best personally, and which you have on hand. I laid a light layer of glue down on the inside of the closure, only about half at a time, because the glue I have dries fast. Push the fabric as far as you can into the closure, and hold there for a couple minutes.

Now after you do both sides with glue, and let it dry a bit, get a pliers. Yes, pliers, but don't worry, we're pinning fabric around them!!

as such.

they sell a special tool for this, also at the etsy site I tagged at the beginning, that is made especially for this, but if you are a cheap college student like me, or mom with no money, or whatever your circumstances, if you aren't going into doing this to make money, I'm not sure buying the tool is really worth it. Because pliers work perfectly fine as long as you are careful, and have fabric covering the tips.

Start going around the edges and pressing down to squish the lock onto the fabric.

Now, before you hook up the other side, sew the bottoms together in the fashion that you would like. I didn't want mine to be tooo bulky, so I did something like this.

So, now hook up the other side of the closure, same as the other side, let dry, and clamp close.

If you're more talented or have your wits about you more-so than I do, you might be able to make the base of the bag, without having to hook the bag to the closure until the end. But I will say this made a pretty bag this way too.

I will be adding a chain to it, so as to be able to carry it as a purse.

I'm sure this is the first tutorial I've written and I'm sure it is a bit wordy and such, but I hope that maybe this will help someone in the future. It is always incredibly frustrating to try and find a diy or tut and you can't.

c & c welcome and encouraged. If you have a better way of doing it, I would love to know! Cheesy

Also, I have no idea whats going on with my photobucket. I have flipped the photos twice each, and for some reason, they are still not flipping. I apologize, as I know it is incredibly annoying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't.
-Richard Bach

feel free to stalk me:
http://pinterest.com/annigirl22/
http://wists.com/annigirl22

I <3 personal swaps, PM me! Wink
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011 01:48:41 PM »

Actually, I think you chose great fabric for the purse. Thank you for the tutorial as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
annigirl22
Kickin Ass since '89

ninja! or something like that...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011 05:32:42 PM »

thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't.
-Richard Bach

feel free to stalk me:
http://pinterest.com/annigirl22/
http://wists.com/annigirl22

I <3 personal swaps, PM me! Wink
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Rock Hollywood Glam Finger Waves
Hair Trends: Sleek Ponytails
Brigitte Bardot Hair Tutorial
Bob Hair Trend At 2013 Emmys
Hair Loss In Women, A Growing Problem
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...