A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black VBI Wristlet with Tute! (Tons of Pics!)  (Read 18139 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , wristlet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

deruyter2008
« on: September 06, 2010 04:57:35 PM »

So I made a new version of my VBI Wristlet since my last one had seen the last of it's days. Cry  I took pics as I went along this time so I could share a tute with all of you.  If you decide to make this please post pics!

Now onto the tute!

As a quick note, make sure that every step you work on this check to make sure things are fitting properly!  Check the card slots, the cash pocket, if it will zip closed.  Everytime you stitch double check to make sure everything is still working. Wink

Ok so first you're going to gather your materials.  For this wallet I used a stronger black canvas fabric for the outside and a printed quilters cotton for the inside.  I recommend doing this because the outside will get a lot of wear and tear and the inside involves LOTS of folding and layers which doesn't work as well with a thicker material.  Beside the fabric you will also need two zippers, mine were 4" and 20", also you'll need a D-ring (for my first wallet I simply used a keyring but it would slowly work itself off the wallet as well as the edges kind of sawed into the fabric leading to it's ultimate destruction Angry) mine was 1", and lastly some swivel clasps that have a flat bottom attachment deal (the ones from my first wallet were salvaged from lanyards from my HS but they tended to get pulled open easily, this time I bought some in the jewelry section of Joann's and they seem to be much stronger.)  You will also need some clear vinyl, the smallest amount you can buy, as well as fusible fleece, I used some from a Pellon pack.

So to recap your supplies are:

-Sturdy canvas fabric for the outside
-Quilters cotton for the inside
-1 packet of Pellon fusible fleece
- yard (or smallest cut allowed) of clear vinyl
-1 D-ring, 1" (pictured as a keyring, scroll down to see what I used.)
-2 swivel hooks (wrong ones pictured, scroll down to the last step to see what I used.)
-1 4" zipper
-1 20" zipper

I recommend cutting out your fabric as you go and double checking it is correct for your wallet, there are lots of minor differences that can be made by folding slightly differently, etc.  These however are the measurements I started out with:

Outside canvas fabric:
-Outside main panel - 5"x8" - 2
-Back pocket - 5"x10" - 1
-Spine - 6.5" x 2" - 1
-ID holder - 3.5"x4.5" - 1
-Strap - 4"x14"
-D-Ring tab - 4"x4"

Inside cotton fabric:
-Inside main panel - 5"x8" - 2
-Coin pocket - 4.5"x7.5" - 1
-Card slots front - 32.25"x4.5" - 1
-Card slots back - TBD
-Spine - 6.5"x2"
-ID holder - 3.5"x4.5" - 1
-OPTIONAL extra card slots - 8.5"x29.25" - 2

Fusible fleece:
-Main panel - 5"x8" - 2
-Outside pocket - 5"x5" - 1

Clear vinyl:
-ID holder - 2.5"x3.75"

You are going to start off making both of the ID holders cut a template out of paper that is 2.5" by 3.75", place this template in the center of the inside ID holder fabric and iron the fabric down around it to fold it in.

Remove the template and top stitch an ⅛ of an inch away from the edge.  Measure and mark inch from all four sides.  Cut a rectangle in the center another inch from your markings.  Then cut diagonally from each corner of the cut rectangle to each respective corner of the marked rectangle.

Fold under and iron flat.  Top stitch again an ⅛ inch from the edge.

Set the ID holder aside and grab your vinyl, and cut a finger slot into it with an exacto knife.  As you can see I have a template I drew up.  Mine are about an inch long.  PAY ATTENTION to which direction you cut the slots in because that will be how the card slides out.  (I didn't pay attention this go around so the card slides out a different way than I originally intended, however, I found that I liked this way better anyway.)

This part can be a bit tricky but you can do it!  Now you'll need to sew the vinyl to the fabric without using any pins, any holes you put in vinyl do not come out!  So just go slowly on the machine and make sure the vinyl stays put and centered.  You are going to stitch over your previous stitches on the smaller rectangle.  Once it is stitched down, turn it over and trim the vinyl close to the stitching.

Repeat for outside ID holder!  BE CAREFUL from now on that you never iron the ID holders directly!  They will melt!!

Stitch your outside ID holder to one of your outside main panels.  Be sure to center it and pay attention to the direction of the finger slot!  Stitch three sides, leaving one open for the card to slide in and out.  You are going to again be stitching over your previous stitches, only this time it will be the outside rectangle.  Also make sure you don't forget to go back and forth over the ends since they will get a lot of abuse with the card being slid in and out.

Now take your outside pocket fabric and iron your fusible fleece to one half of it.

Fold the fabric over to sandwich the fleece and top stitch a inch from the folded edge.

Baste stitch the fabric to your other outside main panel about a quarter an inch from the edge, again only stitching three sides so the pocket remains functional!

Iron your fusible fleece to the back sides of both outside main panels, again being careful of the vinyl.

Go take a break, rest your eyes and get away for awhile because the next step is going to be super tedious and easy to screw up, fair warning!
Ok, so you're ready now?  Starting at one of the long ends mark the following measurements on either side of your fabric (measure from the last mark you made):

1.5", 3.5", 2", 2.5", 2", 2.5", 2", 2.5", 2", 2.5", 2", 2.5", 2", 2.5",

Next you will iron these marks down, be sure to constantly check the accuracy of these, make sure cards will fit in the slots etc.  The measurements above are still a work in progress, so make any adjustments you see fit as you work.  The first crease will be wrong sides together, the second will also be wrong sides together, after that you will alternate back and forth to form the card slots, the last measurement will again be wrong sides together.  (I ended up omitting the first and last crease and just stitched it down.  If you want a xylophone type opening for the cash pocket like with my green one, leave them there).  When you are satisfied with the slots, top stitch along the top of each ⅛" away from the crease, don't forget to unfold it before you stitch, you should only be stitching through TWO layers of fabric!

Next you will be sewing on the ID pocket.  Use the same method you did with the outside again being careful of which end you leave open, depending on how you cut your slot out.  If it will slide out along the short end leave the right side open (top in photo), and if it will slide out along the long end leave the top open (left in photo).  BEFORE you stitch unfold your fabric, you should only be sewing through ONE layer of fabric.

So apparently I missed a step or two with the photos, next you are going to measure the fabric WHILE FOLDED this will give you the measurement for the back of the card slots.  Put the two right sides together and stitch with a " seam allowance around three sides (be careful not to sew over your ID slot, at best it will look really bad and at worst you'll sew the hole right up!), leaving one of the short ends open.  Turn this inside out and fold the open end inside the tube.  Now sew this piece in the center of one of your inside main panels, sew the top, left and bottom edges using a quarter inch seam allowance on either end and a inch seam allowance on the long end (this time you will stitch over your ID pocket, but only as far in as the outside rectangle). If you want the xylophone effect, fold under the top and bottom folds mentioned previously, and then stitch.

Okay, now you are going to work on your other main inside panel.  You are going to put in the four inch zipper to make a coin pocket.  If you don't already know how to do this follow this tute:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=11808.0

OPTIONAL EXTRA CARD SLOTS - If you want the extra card slots, go ahead and follow the next few steps if not, skip ahead.  The pockets aren't that great, they are functional but they add a lot of bulk and the technique is not nearly as fleshed out as everything else.  Fair warning.  Now if that hasn't scared you off we can continue.  

Take your two pieces of extra card slot fabric and you are going to follow the same steps as you did with the main card slots except you will use the following measurements:

3.5", 2", 2.5", 2", 2.5", 2", 2.5", 2", 2.5", 2", 2.5", 2"

Top stitch the tops of the card slots if you haven't already and then sew a vertical line directly up the center, make sure this line is perpendicular to your card slots or they will come out wonky.  

Fold it in half along the line you stitched with right sides together.  Stitch along the top and bottom leaving the side opposite the folded edge open.  Turn right side out.  (Ignore the erroneous stitching, as I said it was a learning process).

IF YOU SKIPPED THE EXTRA CARD SLOTS PAY ATTENTION AGAIN
Look carefully at the following pics before proceeding.  You are going to now stitch all the inside parts together.  First iron down each skinny end of the spine about a inch, wrong sides together.  Sew the zippered main pocket to the spine using a " seam (with the extra card slots smashed between if you are including those, toward the top around a " from the top of the spine.  This will be ridiculously thick, go slowly and make sure you get all layers.)  Next sew the opposite side of the spine to the card slot main panel (with the extra card slots toward the bottom this time.  If you don't stagger them, the wallet will never close.)

Repeat this with the outside pieces, omitting the extra card slots.  Make sure the openings of both the pocket and card slot are on one end.

Next take your D-ring tab fabric and folded it in half then open it up and fold the raw edges in to meet at the crease and fold it in half again so you have no raw edges.  Stitch on either side around an ⅛" from the fold and again down the center (this makes it much stronger).  Next fold it lengthwise over the D-ring and use your zipper foot to sew close to the D-ring so it can't move too much.

Sew the tab to the top of the outside spine, using a box and an X again for strength, I wen't over the box and X twice.

Ok, so here comes the zipper, I'm not going to lie to you it's a pain but it can be done you just have to use TONS of pins, take it really slowly, and have a lot of patience.  Unzip your long zipper and start pinning it to the outside as shown below.  Let the extra on either end of the zipper go under the spine.

Sew this on CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY using a basting stitch.  Check to make sure it zips!

Next lay the inside of the wallet on it, right sides together.  Again use TONS of pins.  Stitch leaving one of the long sides OPEN so you can turn it inside out, my hole was only around 3" big but I was still able to turn it.  This time you should be using a regular stitch rather than a basting stitch, again make sure you are grabbing all three layers.

Turn your wallet inside out and feel a deep sense of accomplishment! Grin  Until you realize you still have to stitch that pesky hole closed. Roll Eyes  Double check it zips again!  I close the hole by hand stitching it, if you don't know how there are a few tutes online to show you how or nicely ask someone who does know how. Wink

One last step!  I didn't photograph this either.  For the wristlet strap follow the exact same steps as the D-ring tab except instead of folding it in half to stitch the D-ring on, fold over either end over the swivel clasps around ".  Use a zig-zag stitch, with a super short stitch length, go back and forth so the raw edge is completely covered.  I have swivel hooks on either end of my strap so I can take it off and replace it with a lanyard if I like, also I have my car keys on one of the swivel hooks so I can unhook that one end so when I drive the wallet can sit in my center console rather than having all that weight on my ignition.

Congrats your done! Grin Grin Grin  Now don't forget to post pictures of your fabulous new wristlet!  Also if you have any improvements to the tut just let me know.

Any questions or comments are welcome!  Enjoy! Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010 12:22:39 AM by deruyter2008 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crystalnair
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010 11:07:40 PM »

Thank you for the detailed tute..appreciate the time and effort Smiley

the new wallet turned out great too -- a ton of cards you got there Wink  Grin

--Crystal
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shellim4
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010 11:08:36 AM »

Thanks for the great tute! Can't wait to give it a try!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deruyter2008
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010 11:27:09 AM »

Glad you guys like it!  Hope you can figure everything out, if not feel free to ask questions!

the new wallet turned out great too -- a ton of cards you got there Wink  Grin
--Crystal

Haha yeah, I have an absurd amount of them, I was actually carrying around a second card wallet and thought that was rather ridiculous, so I added a few more slots! hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Poosel
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010 03:22:26 PM »

tee hee, I think the most cards I've ever had was 7. I'm gonna only do the 6 card slot thingy. The ID holder thing was a bigger pain in the backside than I anticipated. I mad 3 practice runs before it started looking not so crooked. I was freaking out about the not-pinning part, and I actually used a bit of craft glue on the part that you can't see. It actually held everything very nicely in place, and you can't see the glue, and then I sewed around stuff.  Grin

Thank you again for posting the tute....and you did awesome too. I have the outside cut out and am slowely noodeling away at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/poosel

Sketchbook Project Theme: Nightmares
Poosel
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010 01:26:49 PM »

Angry  I think I made mine a bit big, because my zipper is being poopy!!! Opening it up again. deruyter2008, trying to make this now increases my sewing respect towards you tenfold!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deruyter2008
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010 09:33:05 PM »

I'm so glad you're working on it already Poosel! Cheesy  I was so worried no one would actually do it.  The craft glue is a good idea, I never thought of that!  Sorry about your troubles with the zipper, what about it specifically was being poopy? haha  Did you alter the size somehow, was your zipper too short? Huh  Because mine ended up being too long but the excess was just hidden in the spine.  Hopefully I can help you out!  Thanks for the respect too haha, most people just think it makes me crazy! Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010 09:34:39 PM by deruyter2008 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kiimmmmyy
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010 07:07:56 PM »

I have a wrislet but much more basic than this one. I def need something along the lines of this card organization though. I am constantly pulling stuff out and dropping stuff looking for that right card. I bookmarked this and can't wait to make it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Poosel
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010 08:08:22 PM »

I'm almost done
I have to sew the 2 halves together. I'm a bit nervous about that though. I even have a secret chap stick compartment Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Poosel
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010 03:30:46 PM »

Grin here is mine http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=359757.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating a Flash Gallery Using Bridge CS4
Linking Pages, Graphics, and Web Sites Using Dreamweaver CS4
Using Behaviors in Dreamweaver CS4
Adjusting a Web Layout in CSS
Adding Background Elements and Importing Photoshop Smart Objects
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...