A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chew toy for a wire-chomping cat?  (Read 956 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

appleve
« on: September 06, 2010 12:22:15 PM »

Wondering if anyone has any ideas for a chew toy for a cat. Everything in the pet store is designed for dogs... The cat (Odin) loves to chew on wires, hoses, tubing, knitting needles, pencils, etc. I bought a big wheel of non-toxic tubing specifically for him to chew on, but he won't do it unless I'm holding it. I'm thinking of some kind of stand-alone thing, maybe made out of wood so it's heavy enough to stand up, with the tubing and other tasty chewy bits inserted so they stand up straight and he can nibble on them as he chooses. Any thoughts?

Here is a pic of the cat in question.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diatomick
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010 08:15:07 AM »

I have that problem with my puppy; I bet that some of the small dog chew toys would work such as:

http://www.petco.com/product/14866/PETCO-Bully-Stick-Dog-Treat.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductList_Dog_4-_-PETCO%20Bully%20Stick%20Dog%20Treat-14866

Or if you can grow or obtain a catnip plant then you could use the stalks as chew toys, maybe there is another plant that would work similar.

I have also heard of spraying the cords with something unpleasant to taste like vinegar and cayenne pepper or something. I think mainly you need to find a distraction, something more interesting than the cords. Smiley

Make him toys that he will have to work to get treats out of. similar to the 'kongs' they have for dogs, but more cat-oriented and complex. If you made a big thing like this :

http://www.petco.com/product/103839/North-American-Pet-Classy-Kitty-Deluxe-Cat-Tree-With-Two-Story-Condo.aspx?CoreCat=CatSFC_CatFurniture   -out of cardboard and scrap carpet,

and then, made some little holes in different areas with different treat holding contraptions. maybe you could change them up a bit so it doesn't become boring.
Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Diatomick

"no traitor to witch, no traitor to wolf"
CheapAssMerch

I do personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010 02:55:40 PM »

Petco sells cat chew sticks, I was just there and saw them.  They are flavored in chicken or whatever else and they are supposed to be good for their teeth and maybe if he has something to chew on he wont go for the cords.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiffany and Skrat the Ferret!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
From the Vogue Closet - How to Wear a Slip Dress
Angelina Jolie: A Hollywood Style Star
How to Do Country Casual Style
The New Must-Have Pant for Fall
Best Boots for Under $100
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...