A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to make felt pointy hats! Perfect for witch/wizard/pixie/Gandalf costumes  (Read 9725 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , witch , witch_hat , wizard , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenholly
« on: September 05, 2010 11:14:07 PM »

These hats are easy to make but pretty time consuming. They use wet felting (no knitting required!). If you havenít done any felting before, I would suggest you first try making a flat piece of felt to get the hang of the technique, but nothing in this tutorial would be difficult for beginners. Next time I make one Iíll take some in progress pics  Smiley

What you will need
  • Wool felt roving in colour/s of your choice
  • Tule or netting fabric Ė approx x2 fat ľ size (I used some recycled mosquito net material)
  • A bar of soap (make sure you donít hate the smell of it)
  • An old baking tray with deep sides (larger the better)
  • Access to hot and cold water
  • Something round and bigger than your head Ė I use an old netball propped upright, but I would guess than any type of ball or upside down bowl would work. Remember to allow heaps of room for shrinkage.

How to do it!
    1.   First, set up your felting tray. Your ball or bowl needs to go in your tray and not fall over. Using a small bowl to support your ball is a good idea.
    2.   Drape one of your netting squares over your ball
    3.   Pinch out long loose strands of wool roving and drape them over the top half only of the ball. The fibres should go in all directions. Build up extra fibre around the brim area and plenty on top of the ball in a cone/pointy shape.
    4.   Look ok yet? Check whether you have enough fibre. When you gently put one hand under the netting and press your other hand against it through the wool, it should feel like a thick layer of material. Also check that there are no patches that are lots thinner than the rest.
    5.   Ready? Yay! Felting time! Gently drape your second piece of netting around the hat (not over the top cos you will squish your pointy bit!). Gently drizzle hot water over the hat until it is wet through.
    6.   Massage gently with the bar of soap until the hat is soapy all over and cool enough to massage by hand. Donít burn yourself!
    7.   Massage the top layer until it holds together well, then pull off the ball and massage the inside layer too.
    8.   When the hat holds together well and you are happy with the shape, fold the hat into a ball shape and put on a square of netting. Grab each corner of the netting so you have a bundle of hat. Squeeze some of the soapsuds and excess water out, then drench in hot water until it is no longer soapy. Give it a bit of a shake to get some water out, then drench in cold water until it is cool all the way through. Do another couple of hot/cold drenches then see how the hat looks. If you arenít happy, try doing a bit of massaging in warm soapy water and you might be able to fix things.
    9.   Squeeze as much moisture out as possible
    10.   The hat will take ages to dry. Leave it somewhere warm and dry with some support inside to keep the shape (eg scrunched up netting). I would imagine using a hair dryer would speed things up, and if you are brave maybe the dryer but I havenít tried this.
    11.   Post pictures! I wanna see!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Evilkittieninja
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010 11:38:01 PM »

This reminds me of the sorting hat, and that makes my heart happy Cheesy

Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenholly
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010 11:53:18 PM »

This reminds me of the sorting hat, and that makes my heart happy Cheesy

Awesome job!

Thank you! You make my heart happy!
I should totally do a sorting hat one next! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010 07:02:12 AM »

A-mazing!  I love it!!!  Great job -- keep um comin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allat
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012 06:04:51 PM »

God!  I want to make a hat like that!  It's booootiful!

About how much wool rove would I need?   And is there an online store?

Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 6/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 5/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 4/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 9/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 8/12
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...