A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Best Friend's Wedding - Fall '11  (Read 1248 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

koolaidria

You stand where your footsteps lead you.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2010 09:44:57 PM »

So. I'm big on chronicling journeys. My best friend, Crystal is marrying Noah. I don't know how much of this will be crafted, but I know a lot will. Crystal doesn't know much about weddings and while I'm not perfect at wedding planning I will let nothing stand in my way of making sure my bestie's special day is classy and beautiful on as conceivably low budget as possible. They're getting married in the Fall of 2011, pending some church related information. Noah may be going away for a bit, but Crystal says full steam ahead for Fall!

Theme: Butterflies
Color: Midnight blue, white, silver
Reception Location: LDS Stake Center Gym (Suggestions for transformation are always welcome!)
Guests: 86 invited, not including bridal party, head table guests (parents and siblings), and me. 10 for sure will be unable to attend.

Current issue: Centerpieces. She wants live butterflies and a simple butterfly release as they drive off into the sunset isn't floating her boat. She wants them in the centerpiece. We can't stick them in a glass centerpiece or they'll suffocate, but the tulle things we've found (few and far between) are funky, bulky, and remind us of Grandmas night-cap. I suggested stiffening lace into a hurricane vase shape (she wants hurricane vase specifically). The lace would still be see-through, contain the butterflies, and let them breathe. This evening she called suggesting crochet wire. Because I love her, I would crochet the 10-12 hurricane vases. Wire works cuz it's silver. But I'm apprehensive. So I need tips/tricks/suggestions about crocheting these suckers. I haven't even found photos of what it might look like. I can crochet with yarn but wire's a little out of my element....

So clearly I'm in the beginning here but hey. They're not tying the knot for 11 months.

Let the games begin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a nerdy flourescent curvaceous artistic musical lover of life and personal swaps.
Wisty Goodness
swickered
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010 07:35:28 PM »

If she's willing to go a little more vintage/rustic, you could get some of those oversized mason jars with the screw on rings and just use circles of tulle underneath, so they're held on by the rings.  That way, it's simple, not bulky and functional.  I'm concerned that crocheted wire might hurt the butterflies if their wings get caught.  Or use tulle over the hurricane jars and a ribbon around it to hold it on. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
How Lovely
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010 04:58:54 AM »

It really don't know much about butterflies, but what's their life span like? Would they last a whole evening? What about jars (hurricane jars? No idea what that is) with a tulle elasticed over the top so they can breath, you could cover the elastic with little beaded garlands or something
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sweet... Like too much sugar in your tea
~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
Pins: www.pinterest.com/howlovely
Store: www.etsy.com/shop/NostOWLgia
swickered
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010 08:47:57 PM »

Have you seen the movie "Bright Star"?  There's a fantastic scene where they have a butterfly farm in her room and I thought of you when I saw the jars.  Here's a link to a youtube video of it  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6AkaO-LQM
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Snow Crab Legs
Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Chili Honey Short Ribs
Homemade Chili Recipe
Cheeseburger Meatloaf Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...