A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Monster backpack for my monster  (Read 1740 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 05, 2010 08:54:48 PM »

So I borrowed the monster idea from here: http://www.craftster.org/blog/?p=10739
And expanded on it to make my son a new backpack.  His rolling doggy suitcase was looking kinda dirty from all of our trips.

Here is what I came up with!

The monster, made from fleece.  His name is embroidered on the flap (Levi)

This is the side pocket, it closes with a little snap.  I embelished it with a little textured fleece monster with googly eyes!

This is the back, I put batting the the back, and quilted it all over.  I've never done this kind of quilting before, I just used contasting thread and started doing spiral rectangles and streight lines all over the place.  It looked pretty awsome when done, I might do a whole quilt this way sometime!

The straps have D rings at the bottom, so I can adjust the strap length (by picking out the stiches there and sewing it to the right length)

This is the other side, its 'ooga booga' knit fabric, and I just stiched a swirly pattern around it

Inside the flap I put a peice of clear plastic and his info under it.  It has my cell number, his full name, and 'I have food allergies'
This pic also shows the drawstring tied up.  The flap closes down with a snap.  Im too cheap to buy a magnetic clasp!

Here is the inside filled up with tones of toys!  I probly should have made the whole thing a little smaller, b/c he is a tiny kid (Levi just turned 3), and when full, he tips backwards if he carries it!  It doesnt look big on him, but when full its too heavy for him!

This is what the pockets on the inside look like - on one side there is 2 big pockets, on the other side there is 3 smaller/shallower pockets and 2 rows of elastic loops which hold things like playdough and things like that.

I put a handle on top as well (helpful for the airport, I can hold onto it to steer him through crowds!)
I also did fun wavy stiching on everything, just for fun.

Here is my little traveling being silly on the airplane.  (he rides rearfacing in his carseat in the car, but forward facing on the plane b/c his seat doesnt fit rearfacing in economy!)  His chestclip is a tiny bit too high (it should be at armpit level) and his head rest is up b/c I hadnt put it down yet. (Im a carseat tech so I have to point those things out, sorry!)

Thats it!  c & c welcome!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012 10:45:49 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010 09:24:31 PM »

What a cute idea! And your son is adorable! I was going to take an old Hawaiian short and turn it into a backpack for my son but my hasband took it and turned it into a painters smock! Looks like I may have to copy your idea and start fresh Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010 11:19:16 PM »

I love it, it looks like you thought of everything! The quilting on the back looks really great. We just moved within 4 hours of my in-laws and after being 20 hours away, they think 4 is a walk in the park so I think we'll be doing a lot of car trips in the future, these would be great for my boys.

And before I read the whole post, I almost had to comment on the chest clip. I really ought to look into becoming a car seat tech, I'm really, um, intense, about these things. I really think it's cool that he's rear-facing at 3, my 3yo outgrew the RF weight limit for his seat at 2.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010 12:41:56 PM »

And before I read the whole post, I almost had to comment on the chest clip. I really ought to look into becoming a car seat tech, I'm really, um, intense, about these things. I really think it's cool that he's rear-facing at 3, my 3yo outgrew the RF weight limit for his seat at 2.

Thanks for noticing!  I am a major carseat nerd so I always am commenting on peoples carseats  Wink

Levi's seat rearfaces to 45lbs and he is 25lbs now, so he has a long way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strawhatbrat
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010 11:55:49 AM »

That's so neat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kodeekins
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010 05:07:06 PM »

Love it! I've made two monster backpacks before and they didn't turn out as cute as this one! Love the face on the front to hold crayons!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ayanared

Mommy, Wife, Crafter

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010 06:37:56 AM »

Oh my goodness, how cute is that bag!!!!  Perfectly matches your adorable son!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Collectors Suffer Art-Fair Fatigue
Man Protests Museum By Destroying $1 Million Vase
5 Things You Never Knew About Scrabble
Performa 13 Shingerview: RoseLee Goldberg
Top 10 Worst Movie Accents
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...