A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ahhh! The hairdresser destoryed my hair! time for Hats (with link to tute!)  (Read 2801 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CoanTeen
Witch who Walks without Feet

Searching for my own "Golden Path"

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2010 07:30:06 PM »

Well yesterday I went to the salon, and I told the woman I wanted a short, Velma Kelly bob. I've had this hair cut before and LOVED it. At the time my hair was a shaggy mess as i was letting my mohawk grow out. well the dirty little uh... bunt cake she was messed up my hair so bad i went home and cried. I look like a little boy with a reverse mullet. Soooo I did the only think I could think of... make some hats. And while i did I made a Tute for all of you who may suffer the same problem. (DO NOT got to a TGF or REGIS Salon, it was the master stylist/manager that jacked up my hair!)

So the whole tutorial with pictures and measurement is on my blog here: http://plaid-boots.livejournal.com/7877.html
Cuze yeah its was ALOT of pictures. Try it out!

DSCF5941 by WitchWhoWalksWithoutFeet, on Flickr

DSCF5946 by WitchWhoWalksWithoutFeet, on Flickr

DSCF5948 by WitchWhoWalksWithoutFeet, on Flickr

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/46646290@N07/4962097700
The hat on the left is obviously a store bought hat, it was just a comparison.

What do you think? Dosen't really cover my hair enough for my tastes. Anyone go any other tute for better sewn hats to cover this awful do of mine.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010 07:15:19 AM by jungrrl - Reason: made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Geek chic, Gamer Gorgeous, Punk Pretty, Angry Beautiful.
You want it? I Made it!
www.ShinshayOriginals.com

Wist- http://www.wists.com/Coanteen

Need crocheted hats, Will sew anything for you if you can make me hats!
ElizabethsMom

Every window has a different view.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010 08:21:05 PM »

Ugh! I am so lucky that my sister is my hairdresser! (If you need a new one and are in the Orange County area of CA Ican refer you;) )

At least you did a great job on your hats! You might want to look into some of the 20's or 40's style hats. And one thing you need to keep in mind "it's only hair and it will grow back!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fontiua
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010 09:53:25 PM »

Sorry about the butchering of your hair. Thanks for the tut though I've been learning to make hats
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
Staar84
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010 01:16:10 AM »

I had the same problem at a Regis salon! Sorry they butchered your hair, but the hats are super cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist

Hi, my name is Erin and I'm addicted to swapping...

International Snack Swap
Star Trek V
One Tiny Monster Swap
TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010 03:33:57 AM »

Omigosh, I totally feel your pain about dodgy hairdressers. Sad The amount of time I've asked for something well cool...they go and eff it up. Sad( Which is why I always bring a hat with me. Wink

Now, with your tute, I can have hats for different occassions and moods. Smiley P.S. The Hello Kitty one is amazing!!! Cheesy -x-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That's all there is and there ain't no more....
I craft, therefore I am.

My band: www.lechatnoir.org.uk
My work: www.outerlimitz.net
enigma419
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010 05:07:22 AM »

Loved your blog tute, clear instructions and great pictures. Cut up a pair of pants, great reuse/repurpose, and Hello Kitty is my personal favorite.

Although the cut seems a bit uneven, your hair color is wonderful and your complexion is fabulous. Maybe you can flip the ends under with a curling iron until it grows out.

I can understand your frustration with the salon experience. I have not had a decent cut since my hairdresser retired last yr. The style you chose is classic, timeless, and one of the first cuts we taught in school (Barber College, 1978... instructor, 1988... retired, 1998). You'd imagine something that basic would be second nature, especially to an instructor, ... straight lines.

My Granny called it a "Buster Brown", and she wore that cut in the 1920s as a child. And all the ladies went to the barber shop to get their hair cut. When I was in high school, we called it a Page Boy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
robynsteiner
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010 06:56:36 AM »

D'oh! I am terribly sorry about your hair - I know exactly what you're going through! I, too, am growing out yet *another* heinous cut. You are gorgeous and all of your fabulous new hats are awesome! Great job! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010 10:03:59 AM »

Thanks for the hat inspiration!  Sorry about your hair.

I'm working on a pattern for a hat to go with another 1910s-inspired outfit.  The 1910s was a period of the greatest diversity of hats, I think, from the enormous "cartwheel" hats of the late Edwardians to smaller hats  similar to the cloches of the 1920s,and including turbans and tiny "fascinator" type hats.  Unfortunately I haven't found any sewing patterns for these hats, so I'm having to make up my own patterns.

Here's some good fabric hat inspiration: http://delightworthyn.com/    follow links to her shops and blog (blog gives a little construction information)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Chrislea
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010 07:46:40 AM »

The hats look so smart!  They've got a neat blend of elegance and casual style.  ^^

Good luck growing it back!  I got a bad cut last December and wore a hat for three months!  T_T  Does it seem like the more you pay, the worse they cut? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HM Elfke
aka elfke the strange

weirdo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010 10:11:46 AM »

your hats look lovely! If you want to cover up te back of your hair (cause the front looks fine as far I can see) you could try wrap a bandana, Rosie the Riveter-style.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep on smiling, cause when you're smiling the whole world smiles with you!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Darken a Room Using Curtains
How to Make Your Own Insulated Curtains
How to Make a Long Stitch
How to Stitch an Eyelet
How to Make Hand Embroidery Patterns
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...