A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,996
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boney Addvice  (Read 7026 times)
Tags for this thread: skull  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bad2dbonescowgrl
« on: September 05, 2010 06:47:53 AM »

Hi I've just found this wicked awesome skull and back bones and I was wondering if anyone could identifiy them for me.
I'd like to make a neckless out of the teeth. Nothing creepy, just like a charm out of one tooth. Or maybe a backbone. What do y'all think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010 07:05:30 AM »

Looks like a beaver skull to me only because of the two prominent front teeth but I'm not an expert just guessing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bad2dbonescowgrl
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010 07:10:43 AM »

I'm not sure its a beaver...I live in central texas...out in the 'sticks' as the hillbillies I live with are found of refering to it as. Good guess though. To addmit it I thought the same thing when I first found it...that was of corse before I had my morning coffee.
What would you do with it though?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GandalftheGrey
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010 07:18:09 AM »

From the bottom picture it looks to me to be some type of squirrel or rabbit. If you could post a front view picture , or one with your hand beside it, it might be a little easier to decipher. And I'm no professional, its just from what I've seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bad2dbonescowgrl
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010 07:29:13 AM »

Is this better?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Confuzzle
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010 07:37:24 AM »

Too small for a beaver. Some type of rodent, maybe. Rabbit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kazyeeqen
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010 07:39:18 AM »

Oh, it's tiny!

That's small even for a rabbit, though I suppose rabbits can be any size at all pretty much, and beaver or porcupine would be bigger.

Groundhog or squirrel?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bad2dbonescowgrl
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010 07:41:57 AM »

But what about craft ideas? Any good ones? Well...there can't really be any bad ones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JessMeg

JessMeg Designs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010 07:48:00 AM »

Rabbits aren't rodents.. they're lagomorphs Tongue (Third year vet student hehe).

But anyway, I'd agree, that definitely looks like a rabbit skull to me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer clay and Glass Jewellery:
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/jessmeg90

Stuff for sale:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/jessmeg90

Personal swap friendly Smiley
bad2dbonescowgrl
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010 07:50:19 AM »

Oh your a vet student! Thats so cool! I'm in a vet assistance program through my 4h group. Where are you going to school?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GandalftheGrey
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010 07:52:49 AM »

Yes!! Those are perfect now I'm sure rabbits are not that small so I'm gonna go with squirrel
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicytaco

Lalala...

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010 07:55:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's not a rabbit as they have two sets of upper incisors. That would make it some sort of rodent. Doesn't look to me like a rat, porcupine or squirell. I'm really not too sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
GandalftheGrey
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010 08:03:02 AM »

Hmmm... now what could you do with a skull that small??? And it must be delicate... that's a hard one  Undecided sorry but I can't think of anything for the skull but, the backbones would make a cool necklace!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bad2dbonescowgrl
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010 08:12:14 AM »

Haha! It is a tricky one isn't it? I also have teeth that I've removed trom the lower jaw...Oh that might help narrow down the list of suspects. It seems that the lower jaw is two seprate parts, and I've only found one part....so far. I've got four small mollar like teeth from it (I haven't the courage to remove the teeth from the skull...its just so complete looking I couldn't take it apart). I'm not too sure what to do with them. I thought maybe a neckless, or charm...dangle earings would be very kickass...any other ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blackie.sage
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010 08:15:56 AM »

Gopher skull!

http://research.uleth.ca/rgs/description.cfm
(There's a picture of a skull at the bottom).

I used to make earrings and necklaces out of snake vertebrae. I don't know how small or sharp the vertebrae you found were, but sometimes they looked the best simply beaded onto a leather cord with knots tied between to hold them apart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
Confuzzle
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010 08:17:11 AM »

Rabbits aren't rodents.. they're lagomorphs Tongue (Third year vet student hehe).

But anyway, I'd agree, that definitely looks like a rabbit skull to me!
Meh... Cats and chihuahuas are 'rodents' too. (Well, at least our roommate's cats and the neighbor's chihuahua, who messed on the floor at least three times daily while we were dog-sitting.)  Grin

As for crafty things, maybe a dream catcher with this as the centerpiece?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010 08:19:25 AM »

Could be a baby rodent, it's so small. Then again you live in Texas, it could be a huge mouse.(Everything is bigger in Tx. lol) I did a image search for mouse skull and found some interesting "jewelry". Sorry, not my thing at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GandalftheGrey
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010 08:29:28 AM »

Shocked Ooooohhh a dream catcher sounds like a great idea! And yes dangle earrings would be very kickass, how bout a bracelet??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rangerbeth
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010 08:35:28 AM »

Looks like a squirrel to me (biology grad student). I have seen a ton of animal bone jewelry on etsy.com. You can search just animal bone or tooth and come up with a lot of cool ideas. Here is one using the vertebrae http://www.etsy.com/listing/53192958/real-snake-bone-vertebrae-gothic-lolita. I have some snake bones I'd like to do this with soon. And some teeth http://www.etsy.com/listing/50805344/bobcat-tooth-and-fur-curiosity-bottle?ref=sr_gallery_7&ga_search_query=animal+tooth&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=5&order=&includes
  • =tags&includes[1]=title

BTW Kudos for just going out and grabbing a skull!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Poosel
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010 09:35:46 AM »

If you're thinking about bleaching it, DO NOT USE BLEACH!!! Hydrogen peroxide is awesome!!! I work at a vet (hoping to actually get into vet school one day Grin) and when we have to pull teeth, some owners want to keep it. I use peroxide to get the gunk off....and I have used it on found bones.
Your skull is very cool by the way Grin (and it does look squirrly/ gophery)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/poosel

Sketchbook Project Theme: Nightmares
bad2dbonescowgrl
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010 09:44:09 AM »

Do I just soak it in the hp? Or do I need to clean it with a brush or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010 09:49:50 AM »

My hubby used to be an zoologist...he thinks it's a squirrel....probably grey squirrel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Poosel
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010 10:39:36 AM »

Do I just soak it in the hp? Or do I need to clean it with a brush or something?

I used a soft brush to get dirt and stuff off (I found a cat skull) and then I soaked it in 30% food grade peroxide (I think healthfood places carry it) and let soak about a day. You should wear gloves when you do it...it turns your skin tingely Tongue)

here is the kitty (we found it on the train tracks that run by our place)

it even got the bones in the nasal area all nice a squeeky clean.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/poosel

Sketchbook Project Theme: Nightmares
Dawl
Have glue gun, will travel !

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010 11:43:53 AM »

If you're in Texas, my guess would be that's a prairie dog skull. Looks about the right size, and the front teeth look like prairie dog.

Crafts, I'd maybe wire wrap it and turn it into a cool pendant or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bad2dbonescowgrl
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010 03:40:41 PM »

Thanks you guys! Y'all have all been very helpful! If anyone still has any ideas I'm not going to stop listening, you can share them!
Once I get the bones nice and clean I'll go to work on doing something with them....still haven't decided what to do with them...the earings neckless for the teeth are apealing. As for the rest of it...I'm not sure. please feel free to give any sugestions you have!
I mostly want to hear what others would do with them....its very intresting the ways others would do with something. I'm a geek like that. Like to see how others would precive an object.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

'Best of 2014' Winner

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010 04:50:36 PM »

My source (a vet) says it's most likely a possum.  Have you ever seen glittered skulls?  That could be cool. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bad2dbonescowgrl
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010 04:52:25 PM »

no I've never heard of such a thing...could you post a link? I'm curious now, and must know! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010 10:38:31 AM »

i am seconding the dream catcher! or some kind of wall or window hanging...i think its a beautiful way to pay homage to a cute little critter Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
MissingWillow
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

'Best of 2014' Winner

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010 12:06:18 PM »

no I've never heard of such a thing...could you post a link? I'm curious now, and must know! Smiley

It's actually a Martha craft.  http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/glittered-halloween-crafts
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pazuzuspetals

I look like VENUS...........of willendorf

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010 12:21:23 PM »

I'm a little late to the game...I thinks it looks like a rat or squirrel.

You could do a Fascinator or headband...just in time for Halloween!!!
Or an awesome brooch.
A very long time ago my friend who was a punk/goth found a similar kind of small skull and used it as an epaulet on his leather jacket with some chains...it looked very Road Warrior.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a hummingbird once pooped on my cat out of pure spite, I swear.
Myona

Mr Gobi the rat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010 03:53:29 PM »

that is no way a rabbit skull...it coooouuuld be a rat skull, but their eys are tiny, though they do have a lower jaw in two parts, which allows them to bruxx... vibrate them when they are happy and content...which also makes their eyes bulge...*shudders* cute, but i never got used to it...I'm with the gopher, was gonna suggest lemming or wombat, but wombats are auzy, and i dont know what lemmings really look like...but im darn sure that it isnt a rabbit, dont care what vet degree youre working on...their teeth are different...uhm, niot sure what squirrels are like, but could be... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can now fit the desert in my pocket
Myona

Mr Gobi the rat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010 04:02:25 PM »

just looked at a rabbit, gopher, squirrel and a rat skull, yours looks VERY ratty...yes, i know what i said, but you also mentioned the two parts of lower jaw...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can now fit the desert in my pocket
bonberri
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010 06:46:59 PM »

It's definitely a squirrel. Clues that it's a squirrel are the shape of the hole (the infraorbital foramen) where the blood vessels, nerves, and in some, the muscles, run through to the rostrum. Your skull is sciuromorphous, like the one in the upper right hand of this photo.
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/resources/anatomical_images/rodent_jaws/morphy.jpg?XTHEME=POPUP

Second are the surfaces of those "cheek teeth". Squirrels have fan-shaped cheek teeth, a central knobby with 2-3 ridges running out toward the cheek side. The teeth on your skull are quite worn, but you should be able to still see the basic pattern.
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/resources/skulls/glaucomys/g._sabrinus/sabrinus_utr.jpg/view.html

Someone mentioned gray squirrel, but it doesn't have enough teeth- looks like a fox squirrel to me. Grays have an extra bitty tooth toward the front.
http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/specimens/Sciurus_niger.html

Nice find!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gypsyharte
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2010 08:02:45 AM »

Ratty skulls are pretty fragile in the wild.
Its a squirrel.. what a great find!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

From my Hands to you Heart <3
http://www.gypsyharte.etsy.com
ameliaface
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010 03:50:48 PM »

A vole?

It makes me think of those owl pellets we had to dissect in science class. Having to put all the pieces together to figure out what sort of animal the owl ate.

Very interesting  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
punkmandi
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010 02:58:28 AM »

I haven't read all the comments, so I apologize if I am repeating any craft ideas, but here goes:

I bought a pair of fox fang earrings once. I've seen lots of people with earrings made out of the teeth of animals. Or a lone charm on leather cord or leather braided cord. Also, you could try to find one of those tiny bottles meant for necklaces and add a tooth or two to that. Even the entire skull could be a charm, or a Halloween costume appendage (for pirates, gypsies, or voodoo priestesses/priests). A simple wall hanging or an addition to an oddity collection. A centerpiece on a foyer table, or (what I do if I find the like) I have a collection of Apothecary jars and I like to keep dead things in those for Halloween (or, like now, a decoration in my bedroom).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bad2dbonescowgrl
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2010 08:06:58 AM »

Thanks for everybody's ideas! I loved hearing what y'all would have done with them! Heres what I ended up doing with one of the bones! What do y'all think? I used wire to wrap around the bone and through and all other ways and in the middle of the opening of the bone there is a blue bead.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010 08:08:49 AM by bad2dbonescowgrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stamp Basics
How to Press Flowers
Designing a Pressed Flower Bookmark
Storing Pressed Flowers
Creating a Laminated Pressed Flower Bookmark
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...