A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
769 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help... going to try and make an outfit for my daughter.  (Read 471 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JoAnna528
« on: December 26, 2010 11:00:09 PM »

I have never made clothes before and decided I would like to give it a try. I bought Simplicity 6473 Girls' Dress/Tops/Pants/Shorts pattern. As i was reading the instructions I noticed something about interfacing and lining. What are those two things? and do I need them?

I plan to make C & E the top and shorts.

Also my daughter is the size 2, but should I make it bigger so she can wear it longer? and if so what size bigger would be best?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baileemartini
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010 03:53:30 PM »

always make the next size up, my son is a two and i make his clothes in a 3 right now.

the interfacing is a thin webbing, that looks similar to a dryer sheet, that is used to stifen the collar. you dont NEED it, but with that type of collar, you may want to get some to stiffen it. you can buy iron on interfacing that you just iron on to your fabric. im sure you can google a tutorial for some help.

i imagine the lining would be for the top, you can just use a plain cotton for that. if you look at the bottom of your pattern on the back, it has a list of fabrics suitable for your shirt, shorts, lining, interfacing, etc. that should be some help.

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011 09:15:49 PM »

Look on the back of the pattern where it says "garment measurements" and compare these to your daughters actuall measurements.  Some patterns allow 5" of 'ease' (breathing room) in kids clothes as well as adults, which can make them a LOT bigger than store-bought sizing. 

For example, my son was 2 and in 18month clothing.  I decided to make him a size 2 (shirt and shorts) set for his birthday figuring it would be a little big and he would grow into it.   He is 3.5 now and its still way too big.  He wears 18month in shorts, 2T in pants and button ups and 3T in T-shirts in store bought clothes, and I am still making him size "1/2" or "1" size in sewing patterns, sometimes adding a little length to sleeves/pants.  Anything bigger is just HUGE on him.   

And according to the "body measurements" given on patterns, I should in theory be making a size 2 or 3 depending on what it is.  BUT looking under "garment measurements" the size 1/2 or 1 makes a lot more sense comparing the finished garment size to his actual body size.

In other words, the size on the pattern is not nessisarily the size in store bought clothes.  And if you are worried, make one out of cheap/scrap fabric first to check the size. 

To answer your other question - yes you "need" interfacing, it will look much better when its done (bring your pattern to a fabric shop they will tell you what to get).  You also need lining, but it doesnt nessisarily have to be lining fabric, you can use more of the outter fabric, or some broadcloth or something you have around that coordinates.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baileemartini
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011 11:23:46 PM »

Unless you have an unusually small or large child, the measurements and sizes they give are usually fairly accurate. My son is right in the middle of the curve for size, and can wear a 2T, but I am buying 3T now so it will last. If I make something from a pattern, it comes out like the store bought size. However, once you get to adults....WHOLE different ballgame. According to the measurements, I am like a size 16/18, but I actually wear a 10/12! You just have to see what works.

I recommend going up because if you make it too big, she can wear it eventually. If you make it too small, then it's a waste. I have spent hours working on a garment only to have it come out too small, and it sucks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Photos Indoors
How to Take Posed Pictures
How to Choose the Right Lens for Your Camera
How to Edit a Digital Photograph
How to Make a Living as a Photographer
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...