A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Unusual coat question...*Edit* Additional Question about Lining  (Read 2000 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LoveRetro
I love vintage.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2010 06:58:02 PM »

Okay, so I really want a cute coat for this fall/winter, but I can never seem to find one exactly like I want. I'm going to try to make my own (probably using http://www.simplicity.com/p-3064-misses-jackets.aspx). I'm obsessed with the movie "Penelope," especially her clothing in the film. I especially love the idea of a purple coat. So I was looking through Polyvore sets inspired by the movie a few months ago and found this gorgeous purple coat. Now that I go back to find it again, it has disappeared.

Thankfully, I had printed out a picture of it to put in a Penelope clothing-inspired page of my journal, so I at least have one picture of it. Here it is (sorry for the terrible quality):

My question is, can anyone tell me how to go about making the bottom of the coat like that? Sort of flared out and asymetrical? What shape do you think the fabric is cut in? Any advice would help...if I can't figure it out, I'm just going to make a plain purple coat.  Cheesy

Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010 05:45:31 AM by LoveRetro » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." -Romans 12:2

My Blog:
missvintagegirl.blo gspot.com

My Etsy Shop:
SewTechnicolor.etsy .com
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010 07:21:38 PM »

It just looks like a straight diagonal line at the bottom, that has been slightly gathered at the waistline. I don't think that would be difficult to replicate...

Also, I quite agree, Penelope has the best wardrobe in that movie, with the exception of her wedding dress. That purple coat is sublime!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
marieC
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010 07:35:55 PM »

I'd recommend getting some cheap fabric and making the bottom of whatever jacket pattern you choose, then set to work pinning it up at different angles until you get something you like.  When you're happy with it, cut away and use that fabric as your pattern for the real stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A state of confusion is unpleasant, but a state of certainty is ridiculous.  - Voltaire.
LoveRetro
I love vintage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010 05:46:27 AM »

Thanks for the replies, guys! Smiley I think since this is my first coat, I'm just going to go for something simple, though...like following the pattern exactly. But I have a new question. I bought a few yards of this gorgeous purple corduroy fabric at Joann's. I really want to line the coat with a pretty matching printed cotton. But I'm thinking that just corduroy and cotton won't be warm enough. Winters aren't extremely cold where I live (Virginia), but I still want the coat to be reasonably warm. What do you guys recommend that I could use in between the corduroy and cotton? Maybe batting? Could I use batting without quilting it completely to the printed cotton, or would it move around too much? I would actually probably be willing to quilt the entire lining, though, if necessary...Basical ly, I want it pretty warm, but not bulky. And I need to keep things as inexpensive as possible. Wink What do you guys recommend? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." -Romans 12:2

My Blog:

My Etsy Shop:
SewTechnicolor.etsy .com
iluv2laf573
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010 07:23:57 AM »

Well, the pattern you have looks good, but I found these two that look a lot like the picture:
http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m5531-products-8080.php?page_id=515
I've made this pattern before and it's very simple.
http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m5980-products-10567.php?page_id=115
This has that bottom you like.

I don't know about the batting.  That might work.  Otherwise, you might want to try flannel-backed cotton, it's warmer than normal cotton.

Hope that helped!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010 07:25:21 AM by iluv2laf573 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LoveRetro
I love vintage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010 12:16:13 PM »

^Thanks for the pattern links! I'll definitely have to check those out. The bottom of the second one is lovely.  Smiley

I was reading on one coat thread on here that you should use some sort of lining fabric for the sleeves so they're easier to get your arms in...Should I use something like satin for the lining of the sleeves if I'm using quilted cotton for the rest of the lining?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog:

My Etsy Shop:
SewTechnicolor.etsy .com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glamorous Gingerbread Cupcakes for the Holidays
How to Make Jamaretti Cookies
How to Make Wine-Poached Pears
How to Make a Chocolate Block
Paleo Poached Pear Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...