A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,629
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: kenmore machine sans manual  (Read 1532 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2010 10:33:34 AM »

After my Grandmother passes away I asked my Grandfather if I could have her sewing machine.  It took about a year and a half for me to acquire it, but it's now in my possession!  BUT- Grandpa couldn't find the manual.  He said he'd keep looking for it but until then it would be nice to use it.  I figured out how to thread it but I can't even figure out how to get it off zig zag stitch.  This worked for some things, but not everything. 
Does anyone know where to find a manual for model # 158.19141 without having to buy one, or at least show me how to switch it to a straight stitch?  I tried searching on here but couldn't find anything and google wasn't a lot of help either.  I'm sure the manual will turn up by Christmas when I see him next...
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gaviegoose
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010 11:37:05 AM »

Have you lifted the top and moved the the zigzag dial to 0?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
complex character
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010 03:36:40 PM »

try this link to the manual. I didn't read all of it so I don't know which page the settings are on. hth

manual
 Smiley
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010 03:41:16 PM by complex character - Reason: oopsie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
missriss

it smells like crafts in here...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010 11:27:19 AM »

Have you lifted the top and moved the the zigzag dial to 0?
ack, why didn't I think of that?  Thanks.
try this link to the manual. I didn't read all of it so I don't know which page the settings are on. hth

manual
 Smiley
this doesn't look like it has quite everything, but it's more than I've found.
Thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewnutzz
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010 08:30:39 PM »

If you have not figured out your problem yet, I might be able to figure it out for you if you can post some clear close ups of the front of the machine and any other levers and switches (although you can leave off the on/of switch).  I am pretty good a figuring out how to get machines to work.
SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010 08:37:52 PM »

manual
 Smiley

BTW, I looked at the manual on the link above.  It is a repair manual, not a how to use manual.  Do not do anything  based on it unless you know what you are doing.  The little door on the top of the machine is for decorative cams (I believe), not for setting stitch width.  My bet is the adjustment is on the large knob on the front of the machine, but I need a better look at it as well as the row of stitch selections also on the front of the machine.
SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
complex character
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010 09:37:04 AM »

alrighty! sorry for the bad link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sludgedragon
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013 03:00:45 PM »

I know this is an old old thread, but I just bought a Kenmore 158.19141 and I have a question about, well, thread. I can't figure out the top threading, I don't know if it's just weird or if there's something missing. There don't seem to be enough thread guides or something. I only spent 20 bucks on it as a backup machine and I'm not spending 9 bucks or more on a manual when I can't even tell if it's malfunctioning or just not threaded right. I have one more week to take it back to Goodwill for a store credit, that's how long I'm giving myself to get it running. If I can't find the answer, back it goes! And hopefully by then my main machine will be out of the shop.

All I really need is a chart or something to see how it's supposed to be threaded. If I could just get a picture for a guide I'm sure I would know the answer. Latest granddaughter is waiting and those diapers won't sew themselves!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013 02:22:38 AM »

I know this is an old old thread, but I just bought a Kenmore 158.19141 and I have a question about, well, thread. I can't figure out the top threading, I don't know if it's just weird or if there's something missing. There don't seem to be enough thread guides or something. I only spent 20 bucks on it as a backup machine and I'm not spending 9 bucks or more on a manual when I can't even tell if it's malfunctioning or just not threaded right. I have one more week to take it back to Goodwill for a store credit, that's how long I'm giving myself to get it running. If I can't find the answer, back it goes! And hopefully by then my main machine will be out of the shop.

All I really need is a chart or something to see how it's supposed to be threaded. If I could just get a picture for a guide I'm sure I would know the answer. Latest granddaughter is waiting and those diapers won't sew themselves!
I found this: Hope it helps!
http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diagrams/Threading_Pages/Singer_Sewing_Machine_Threading/singer_518_threading_diagram.htm

scroll down for the diagram for threading the machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sludgedragon
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013 06:32:09 AM »

Thanks! I wish that would help but but that shows a "normal" machine. If you will look at the picture at the top you will see a remarkable lack of knobby things to hook thread onto.  I feel that there should have been something more on the back, or the front, or both, or the thread needs to go somewhere unexpected.

Edit: I found it!

http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diagrams/Threading_Pages/Kenmore_Sewing_Machine_Threading/kenmore_1914_threading_diagram.htm

And it definitely does go someplace unexpected! Part of the path is inside the head (the dashed lines)! So now I have a good backup machine just in case. It even does stretch stitches, even though I have no cams for the fancy ones.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013 11:01:51 PM by Sludgedragon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Liz Funk Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Sam Harris Talks About The Moral Landscape
Meet Authors Robin and Michael Mastro
Roz Chast Talks About Too Busy Marco
Dr. Oz Talks About YOU: Raising Your Child
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...