A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,664
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: So Proud... I made a book!!  (Read 948 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Confuzzle
« on: September 04, 2010 07:33:36 AM »

I decided yesterday that, demmit, it was time to sit down and learn how. So I used the back of a school notebook, a sheet of scrapbook paper, some printer paper, and some linen weaving thread to put this together.  There's a couple of things I could have done better - like find a better glue, or boil down some flour paste, instead of using a glue stick - but it turned out pretty ok.

The cover:

The stitching:

And it even opens!  Grin

I think this will make a good Yule present for my older daughter, with a "matching" purple one for the younger daughter.

A couple of questions, though: Is it staying open because the stitching is too tight? What do you recommend for glue, to keep the inner cover sheet attached? (That's coming completely off already.) And would con-tac paper be a good cover?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Librarygirl_flubber
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010 09:18:43 AM »

Glue stick???!!!! You used a glue stick!!!!!!!!!!! This is incredible!!!! Props to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shadeweaver

My reality check just BOUNCED!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010 10:36:53 AM »

I typically use whatever is left over from my kid's school supplies ... usually Elmer glue.  I have always had great success with that and it is pliable.  I can't answer about the stitch binding as I use the glue binding method.  But you have a very cute book there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap?  Heck Yeah!

http://www.wists.com/Shade
Confuzzle
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010 01:27:15 PM »

Yes, I used a glue stick!!!! It's what I had on hand, since Gorilla Glue just didn't seem appropriate for some odd reason. For the one for me, now, it may be a completely different story. No girly-girl pinky thingies por me! MWAHAHA!!

Shadeweaver - Thank you! I'll have to go get some Elmer's, since school just started and all the supplies are on sale right now. Now to go look up this 'glue binding' thingy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoveRetro
I love vintage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010 12:25:27 PM »

I use a glue stick to cover my front and back covers with scrapbook paper, but I use this Elmer's "extra strength" craft glue stick. I've found that it works well when it's new, but the longer I use it, the weaker it gets. Tongue It does help to put glue on both surfaces and to press something heavy and flat against it for a minute or so after I stick it together.

By the way, I bound my first book a few weeks ago and had the same problem with the cover staying slightly open all the time. I think it probably is from the stitching being too tight. The video tutorial that I was watching kept saying over and over, "Make sure the stitching is tight," and I think I went a little overboard. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." -Romans 12:2

My Blog:
missvintagegirl.blo gspot.com

My Etsy Shop:
SewTechnicolor.etsy .com
Confuzzle
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010 02:11:10 PM »

Oh good. Glad to hear I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Seems like the glue sticks just don't quite cut it, then. That's an easy enough fix.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lauren Conrad Daytime Braided Hair Tutorial
A Solution For Different Hair Types
Beauty Truth Test: Color Oops hair color remover
Homemade Beauty Recipes For Shiny Hair
How To Control Curly Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...