A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Little Dresses for Africa  (Read 17068 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , africa  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

babalina58
Friends don't let friends craft alone :)

4 wheels move the body 2 wheels free the soul!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010 06:17:15 AM »

This is a beautiful thing you did. Do you know how many girls are there? I know it is a pretty penny to ship to Africa too. It is a wonderful thing and you know exactly where the dresses are going...If you would like Crafters to send some to you just put the word out I am sure you will get help if you need it...These little girls will feel loved and special....I see all the different sizes....

I hit this rocks for so many reasons!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/babalina58/

I am able to do personal swaps again so lets get some going Cheesy
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010 06:47:28 AM »

holy wow! how wonderful of you! Those dresses are absolutely sweet!  Those girls are going to be so grateful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zilamonster

Who's awesome? ...you're awesome.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010 07:03:41 AM »

These are amazing! Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mirandarenee
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010 07:12:59 AM »

How utterly awesome!! How much fabric does each dress take? Is there a way my daughter and I can contribute to this with you?

It totally all depends on the size, but I'd say about a yard or so. The majority of these were made from pillowcases! I even made some out of colorful curtains and a teddy bear bed dust ruffle.. trying to be creative there, haha! A friend of mine donated some plain pillowcases to me & I tyedyed them all so they'd be nice and bright. I spoke a while back with an African missionary and she told me that tyedye was loved over there.

Just browsed google real quick and here are some tutorials.. there are many ways you can make them & different ways to do the arms (ribbon, bias tape tyes, etc.)
http://www.aroomsomewhere.net/2007/07/pillowcase-dress-tutorial.html
http://www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/?page_id=477
http://freshlypicked.blogspot.com/2008/03/pillow-case-dress-tutorial.html

www.littledressesforafrica.org is the website for where I got my idea. You can learn how to participate there..
orrr..
You could make some and send them to me so I can send them to my dad in Africa and he can distribute them himself at the orphange in Liberia. The main reason I am sending them for my dad to take is so that I will be able to see pictures of my actual dresses on the little girls AND I know exactly where they will be going. By sending them through that organization I'll have no clue what girl gets my dress. My dad said there is atleast 30 girls last time he went, and they range from little babies all the way to girls my age (15). I'll be sure to post pictures of the little girls with the dresses my dad gives them.  Smiley (if others sent me dresses & whenever my dad sends back pics, wouldn't it be fun to pick out your own dresses among the group?) And I really wouldn't worry about making too many.. he said if all the girls at the orphange got enough dresses, he could surely hand them out to other children living near where he stays. According to all the research I've done, it is very common for the children to only have one single outfit. (another idea- shorts for boys?)

I've been getting picked on at school lately from all this. "Oh, Miranda, Miranda.. she helps the homeless animals at the animal shelter.. she sends clothing to orphans in foreign countries.. I bet she feeds the homeless too!!" But I won't let it bother me.. I'm making a difference.  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010 05:09:35 AM by mirandarenee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010 07:31:45 AM »

I've been getting picked on at school lately from all this. "Oh, Miranda, Miranda.. she helps the homeless animals at the animal shelter.. she sends clothing to orphans in foreign countries.. I bet she feeds the homeless too!!" But I won't let it bother me.. I'm making a difference. 
you know what, you are the youth that is changing the world.. The people who bug you about it are quite selfish, and that's not exactly a good trait.  Way to go you!  Ignore those people, you are doing something amazing.  BTW, when in big cities, I feed the homeless. With my own money, and not at a shelter.  I buy them a meal they might not otherwise get.  and you know what, they are people to.  Hungry at times just like you and I.  Keep up the good work my dear and you will change the world (if not the whole world, someones world, and that's something)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just as I am
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010 08:40:40 AM »

What a wonderful thing you are doing. Dress the body and feed the soul.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gomerriffic
Meet my friend, Mr. Lemmy Lime!

Exsqueeze me?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010 08:55:49 AM »

I've been getting picked on at school lately from all this. "Oh, Miranda, Miranda.. she helps the homeless animals at the animal shelter.. she sends clothing to orphans in foreign countries.. I bet she feeds the homeless too!!" But I won't let it bother me.. I'm making a difference.  Smiley

Really?? I mean wow...what a ridiculous sentiment. What you're doing is amazing, whether they want to recognize it or not. It is probably guilt that makes them react so foolishly. Keep your head up Smiley Thanks for the info, we'll put some together and see what we can do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cealy
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010 11:22:37 AM »

I saw a posting a few weeks or a month or so ago for these little dresses and thought, I have tons of fabric that I didn't have time to make into clothes for my kids, I should contribute! But then thought of our Bishop when he mentioned when traveling to Mthatha, Africa; there is so much corruption with the police, city officials, political figures that they have go so far as to send people to Africa to deliver donations personally.

I am a church warden at our church so the next meeting we have I think I am going to bring up the "Little Dresses for Africa" cause and see what we can donate through our diocese.

Thanks for being such a great young lady, it takes more of people like you to change the minds of older people into thinking "I can't wait until she becomes a leader of tomorrow!"  When many adults look at youth today and say, "That is our future?"

Way to go, so very, very proud of you!
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whatthepuck
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010 02:03:22 PM »

I'm a fabric hoarder have a lot of fabric that I'm trying to use up. This is a fantastic idea to use up the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage Etsy ~ Blog

Swaps:
Mini 13 DoH
Aug ATC 5/0/0

Would love to personal swap for Blythe granny square hat(s)
leighi123

The Little Sewing Shop

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010 02:46:04 PM »

I have a large flat rate box of little dresses I've made that I was going to ship to the organization.  I just finished making enough to fill the box! 

Shall I send them to you instead?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Adobe Encore - Overview
An Overview of Adobe Acrobat Lesson 3
An Overview of Adobe Acrobat Lesson 2
An Overview of Adobe Acrobat Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Acrobat - Overview
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...