A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,803
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap meals for students...that don't involve ramen?  (Read 6627 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shashaveli
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2012 09:59:13 AM »

Most of the time, it can't be both cheap and worthy to be called a meal. You can always go for sausages though. A lot of ways to prepare them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Armour for men, women, kids, kittens, bunnies, lego minifigs. There isn't a thing i won't try to clad in iron.

http://drunkethics.blogspot.com/
PeachieClean
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2012 06:32:26 PM »

Buy a massive bag of corn flour and one of the big round things of salt, and non-sticking plastic (The giant cheap zipper bags usually work well.)  Mix some flour with water and salt, (I'm not 100% on measurements, I just slowly add water until it seems right) then roll it out between two pieces of plastic as thin as you can get it.  Heat up a flat pan on medium high/7.  Carefully peel the corn flour mush off of the plastic and cook it about 50 seconds on each side.  You've now got corn tortillas!  They are good by themselves, cut up and fried/baked into chips or for soft tacos.  Realistically, you can roll whatever you want up in your tortillas... But, it's a lot cheaper than buying them pre-made, they are always fresh and delicious and they hardly take any time.

I think Ragdollpirate's first recipe would be pretty tasty heaped into a couple of these!  And, if you're pressed for time, you can always make a bunch up and freeze them. (With wax paper between so they don't stick, or in individual servings)

I was just checking for new posts and Ragdollpirate's first recipe reminded me of these. xD  Flour tortillas are also good, but a little harder to make and a little more ingredient-intensive needing solid fats (Lard, butter etc.) in addition to the water, flour and salt.

One of my favorite snacks/treats is whatever kind of flat bread (tortillas count as flatbread, as do wheat wraps) we have in the house and some sort of spreadable cheese.  Right now we have laughing cow cheese wedges (Which are nice, but not the most budget-friendly) and those are good, or you could just use store-brand cream cheese/neufchatel with some herbs/seasonings/jam/whatever.  If I have pre-seasoned (Like laughing cow) cheese I'll just heap it in the middle, fold the flat bread over and smoosh it until the cheese covers the whole thing thinly.  If not I mix whatever I'm mixing with the cheese, heap it in the middle and smoosh it around. I like this 'cause I can do it half asleep and it still tastes good.

Tomato soup is pretty easy to make from a can of tomato sauce.  (Tomato soup is prolly around 90cents on average here, and I can almost always get canned tomato sauce (Not pasta sauce, just boiled to death tomato in a can) for 50-70 cents)  Just pour the tomato sauce in a pan, add some sugar (More or less to your taste), add a nice dollop of sour cream and a little water until you get a consistency that you like, then season to taste.  I like a bit of sweet basil, some garlic, some salt and some pepper in mine.

I'll come back when I think of more XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chefs Corner: Whoopie Pies Recipe
Baseball Player Bomb Pops Recipe
Lemon Sponge Cups Recipe
Spicy Wild Blueberry Tortillas Recipe
Homemade Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...