A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: t-shirt sleeve to steampunk spat styled wrist cuff -with tutorial and lotta pics  (Read 13216 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rdayk
« on: September 03, 2010 12:41:57 PM »

I am addicted to reconstructing t-shirts. This is a steampunk wrist cuff I made from the sleeve of an old t-shirt. I used five domed studs for embellishment. I attached the two pieces by poking holes in the fabric and lacing them up corset-style with a narrow strip of t-shirt fabric. The studs probably would have worked fine for attaching but I had already cut the sleeve in two because this started life as a spat. That was a total fail because t-shirt fabric is way too slouchy to stand upright as a proper spat should. So, re-born as a spat-styled wrist cuff. I will probably make a mate for it from the other sleeve.  The t-shirt has my martial arts school emblem on it so I'm sentimentally attached, but after wearing it to class for years, it's gotten rather dingy and faded. So the rest of the t-shirt will be transformed into a slouchy backpack for gym clothes.

T-shirt recon rocks!

Here's a pair in black I made. I have a tutorial, but I am still too new to embed images, so I think I have to wait until I have enough privileges to embed the photos for the step-by-step (the moderator kindly embedded the photo above for me but then when I edited this message, unfortunately I removed the embedding, sorry!).

Here I am sporting my modded t-shirt and t-shirt cuffs, modded velvet-jeans-to-knee breeches, and modded leg warmers at a recent steampunk picnic:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010 02:54:59 PM by rdayk - Reason: adding tutorial » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Boupie

Attack of the HUGE crabs!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010 08:39:29 AM »

I like it! I have some old t's I might do this to. Do you have a better picture of the laced up back?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIP: Finally organizing my stashes, getting into soft circuits

Angeling the wonderful FoxySam right now but open to private swaps or pen-pals in the future!

11/50 books in 2010

This school year started way too soon for me.

The Sketchbook Project: Science project gone wrong
rdayk
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010 08:55:00 AM »

Thanks! I will get some better photos today - that was taken in a mirror, but I will be wearing a pair of black cuffs I made last night to a steampunk event today, so I'll ask someone to take a photo and maybe even put together a tutorial. Stay tuned!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SanDorfALot
SanDorfALot

Chaotic Good

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010 04:25:14 AM »

I'd love to see more, and definitely a tutorial.
It looks really cute, from the parts I can see. if its laced up.. that makes it even better!
I really like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Twice the mayham, triple the force, ten times the action: total hardcore.
CraftasaurusRex
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010 01:37:05 PM »

apparently this post is so popular that the pictures don't work anymore. Sad Do you think you could use craftster's photo hosting so we can see them?
It's free and has unlimited space!
I'd love to see them! Will check back later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rdayk
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010 02:40:39 PM »

Whoops, sorry, I understimated the number of people who would be viewing the tutorial. I have upgraded to Photobucket Pro and also put the others on my personal Web server, hopefully that can handle the bandwidth. But in the future, I will host them on Craftster! I do have a tutorial but I am waiting until I have enough privileges to embed the photos for the step-by-step as clicking each JPG might be sort of annoying (there are 20 photos for the tute). Sorry for the missing images and please check again for the tutorial, I need to post 10 times to be able to embed photos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010 06:33:54 PM »

Whoops, sorry, I understimated the number of people who would be viewing the tutorial. I have upgraded to Photobucket Pro and also put the others on my personal Web server, hopefully that can handle the bandwidth. But in the future, I will host them on Craftster! I do have a tutorial but I am waiting until I have enough privileges to embed the photos for the step-by-step as clicking each JPG might be sort of annoying (there are 20 photos for the tute). Sorry for the missing images and please check again for the tutorial, I need to post 10 times to be able to embed photos.
Easy way to get that is reply to other people's projects. Can't wait to see the tut! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rdayk
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010 02:53:43 PM »

Okay, I have enough privileges to embed photos, so here goes!

Steampunk Cuff from old t-shirt

You will need:

1 t-shirt
4-20 dome studs, depending on your preference (can also use buttons if you don't mind more sewing)
screwdriver
tailor's chalk
needle and thread
scissors
2-5 safety pins

Cut one or both sleeves off the t-shirt, depending on whether you want one or two cuffs. Save the rest of the t-shirt for another use (or wear as a muscle tee!)

Trim the sleeve if you want a shorter cuff (the one in my photo is a short scrap - it is just for demo purposes - you'll probably want your cuff to be longer). Slip the sleeve over your wrist so that the underarm seam is aligned with your thumb and the hemmed side is closer to your shoulder (raw side near your hand, lined up where you want the cuff to rest).Using the tailor's chalk, trace the outline of your hand and wrist.

This is not your cut line! Trace another line about 3/4" away from that line.

The second line is your cut line, so cut it, then fold the fabric underneath so that it is lined up with the first line:

Another view of the fold in case it's not clear.

Now use your tailor's chalk to mark the spots where you want the studs (or buttons) to go. It's up to you how many you'd like to use, but I think that four is the minimum to secure the fold.

Now attach the studs - just push the little prongs through both layers of fabric and use a screwdriver to fold the little prongs down.

Your cuff-in-progress will now look like this:

After you attach all the studs, drape the cuff over your wrist like so. At this point, a friend is really helpful, but I managed to do it by myself, although I couldn't really get a good picture of what happens. Pinch the fabric around your wrist, making sure to line up the underarm seam with your thumb and the studs should then lie on the edge of the outside of your hand.

Use your tailor's chalk to mark the cut line, leave a nice big seam allowance, because you can always trim it again later.

And cut the cut line.

You will be left with something like this, perhaps less angular since I was working with an angular scrap from a tee that I had shortened the sleeves.

Here it is again from the right side (I only put two studs since I was just mocking this up for the tutorial - just imagine that there are two or three more studs between them).

Try the cuff on. You can see it coming together at this point.

Use two or more safety pins to pin the top of the cuff to the button. The top should overlap the botton, wrapping around your wrist like a bandage.

Now all you have to do is sew the two sides together. I used tiny running stitches. Be careful not to sew the folded edge down if you want your cuff to be styled like a spat. Instead sew maybe 1/3" in, rather than right at the edge, so the fold remains visible.

Optional: if you want your cuff to be more like a glovelet, cut a small slit near the underarm seam (not on the seam itself, or your cuff will fall apart!). Poke your thumb through that.

Now try on your new cuff and go about your business!

Make a pair of them!

Here I am sporting my t-shirt cuffs and a t-shirt, velvet jeans, and leg warmers that I modded to look more steampunk. Cheap and fast steampunk attire for hot weather events!

No-sew version: This isn't necessarily faster, but if you want to do a no-sew version, don't cut the fabric at all. Just use the chalk lines as a guide to fold the fabric and attach the studs as above. Then, instead of pinching the fabric and cutting it near your pinky finger, pinch it and cut it underneath your wrist. You will probably need to cut a little from both sides so the cut line is at the center of your wrist. Then use an awl to poke holes in both sides of the cut, about 1/2" apart and close to the cut edges. Use a piece of spare t-shirt to cut a long lace, as narrow as possible. You can also use a thin ribbon or piece of cord. Thread the lace through the holes as if you were lacing a sneaker. Sorry if I haven't explained that very well, but here's a close-up of the no-sew version:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fontiua
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010 05:15:16 PM »

thanks for the Tut. this is a great idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creating something from nothing is the most theraputic thing in this world for my soul.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vietnamese Steak and Asparagus Salad Recipe
Spider Roll Recipe
Rainbow Roll Recipe
Chakin Sushi Recipe
Insari Sushi Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...