A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pencil jar made of . . . pencils! Plus a crayon bucket! A present for my sis <3  (Read 7947 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MagicalGirl
« on: September 03, 2010 09:37:55 AM »

This was a lot of work, but definitely worth it, so here you go! Please vote for me if you like them! My little sister loves to write, so I made her these two jars:
A crayon jar:

and a pencil-pencil-jar:

The pencil jar is for pens and pencils and the crayon jar is to hold the little things that always, always, always get stuck in the bottom of your pencil jar: erasers, sharpeners, ink cartridges, and so on. Also because I love how bright crayon colors are.
I sawed the pencils off in different lengths, using a cheap pocket knife I found at the park. Then I sharpened them, which took longer than anything has a right to and gave me blisters. Yes, I got blisters from sharpening pencils. C'est moi! Then I arranged them by height in groups of six and hot glued them together. I planned to use wood glue, but the metal parts holding on the erasers stuck out enough that I needed the extra bulk of hot glue. I don't know if it shows in the pictures, but it says "No. 2" on the outside, all lined up.
It's hexagonal! Like a pencil!

Originally I was planning to make a pencil case with a point on the end, to look like a giant stubby pencil with a really short eraser, but I couldn't think of a good way to make the point, and I was worried that if you put it in a bag and dropped books on it it would fall apart, so I did this instead.
The erasers combine at the bottom to make little rubber feet:

The bottom is made from a sign I brought home from the March for Life a while ago, which is best described as corrugated plastic, if that makes any sense. I traced the inside of the jar onto paper and then used that as a guide to cut out a hexagon to fit inside. After a bit of trimming, I rammed it up inside the jar and then dribbled hot glue onto the edges from the top. It's covered on the bottom with notebook paper, which I thought was appropriate and cute.
This picture shows the length variation better. Even the longest are shorter than a regular pencil, to make it easier for her to get her writing utensils out.

A couple more views:
Then, applied over gluing goofs are various quotes about writing, which the beloved sis got an enormous kick out of. I couldn't get them readable in the pictures, so I can post them here if all y'all like. My favorite is probably "The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug." --Mark Twain.
And here is the crayon jar, a square:

Its little rubber feet took the form of a hot glue heart.

Both bottoms were made the same, but funnily enough, I put paper over the plastic on the inside of the crayon jar, because Who cares about the bottom? It's underneath! and the outside of the pencil jar, because Who cares about the inside? It'll get covered in pens and pencils, and it's dark!
The crayons (two boxes the same) were arranged by color and then hot glued in rows, with "Crayola" facing out. Then I glued the rows together and traced inside to make the bottom. When I ran glue around the edge of the bottom, it melted the crayons enough that all the glue slid neatly inside and out of sight! I was so happy about that. Smiley
My sister loves them both and was very very happy when she found out they were for her. Smiley And here is one last shot, just because I love how the colors came out:

I think it's ironic that I did all the planning with a mechanical pencil.
Comments are always appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010 09:36:40 AM by MagicalGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for Simplicity 6340 (the 1970's sailor dress). PM me if you've got a copy to swop or sell! Cheesy
TheWomanMonster
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010 12:30:42 PM »

I am in love with the crayon box. Seriously awesomesauce!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheWomanMonster. I'm crafty!
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star." - Nietzsche.
MagicalGirl
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010 05:21:57 PM »

Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for Simplicity 6340 (the 1970's sailor dress). PM me if you've got a copy to swop or sell! Cheesy
K8iSGR8
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010 08:53:31 PM »

When I saw the crayon box, my heart physically ACHED for it! As soon as I saw it I thought "How did I not think of that?!", it's adorable and beautiful. Would you mind if I reproduced one for myself for hairties/bobbypins?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm only pretending to be crafty,.. hopefully one day I'll get it right Tongue

www.knot2witty.blog spot.com
MagicalGirl
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010 08:30:37 AM »

I wouldn't mind at all! Go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HisTechnoAngel
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010 08:01:00 PM »

I also absolutely ADORE the crayon box! I think I am going to make one for my son Smiley Thank you for sharing- they are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quirkyfaerie
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010 09:07:47 PM »

The adult in me:   LOVE the crayon box! It is a very simple idea, yet creative and well-done.

The child in me:   Cool! I wonder what it would look like if you colored with it! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
K8iSGR8
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010 11:24:26 PM »

I totally wanted to write with it too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm only pretending to be crafty,.. hopefully one day I'll get it right Tongue

www.knot2witty.blog spot.com
MagicalGirl
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010 06:32:02 AM »

Thanks! My youngest sister wanted to make a "scribble picture" too. Maybe I should make her one. =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Julie P!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010 03:54:46 PM »

Such pretty colors! =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Child Modeling
Tips to Shorten Camera Shutter Lags
Family Portrait Photography
RF-602 Wireless Flash Trigger Review and Demonstration
Choosing Your First Lens for a DSLR Camera
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...