A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
788 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: handmade holiday  (Read 4187 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ryv1079
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010 06:02:28 AM »

I've tried in the past to do a completely handmade Christmas but, time usually gets away from me and it doesn't always work out! This year, I seem to have a better handle on it and I keep having to check myself for having grandiose ideas! "Keep it simple, stupid" has become my mantra.  Grin

Luckily, my family knows that I am crafty and whenever I am working on a project at family gatherings, I always get compliments on whatever I am working on. I've recently learned how to weave baskets so, the extended family will be getting bread baskets which I think will please them. We are a carb lovin' family, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CynthiaButterfly

Love is being stupid together

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010 12:27:18 PM »

Last year my sister helped me make homemade ornaments (from cinnamon clay) and wreaths for the whole family (using wreath forms, garland and ornaments from the $ store). Those were certainly well received. I also on my own made cocoa in a jar and homemade crocheted potholders.

Some were received more happily than others, but I really couldn't care less because it was only adults who got them and some of them didn't bother to give any gifts at all in return (for me or anyone else). For my own kids and my one nephew I purchased gifts.

My budget is $10 per person and I think I gave the best gifts possible with that limit. This year I am making hats and scarves, which is turning out to be more work than potholders, but allows me to stay within my budget and give the gift of love.

Some of my sisters like to craft as well, and I have gotten some crocheted gifts before, which are the most precious gifts I own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.
polkadotts

Life is good when your HEART's in the right place

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010 12:52:36 PM »

I would love to do an all handmade Christmas, but like most here it wouldn't be well received by the majority. So I think I'm going to just do a few items for the ppl that like the homemade gift idea and give gift cards to the rest as money is all they want anyways. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What's better than Pink, Butterflies, Glitter, Mermaids, Fairies & Angels......NOTHING!!!
Time to load up the Unicorn and head to the rainbow!!!
brittanix
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010 05:39:41 PM »

I'm attempting it this year! :] Hoping everyone will like it. Although, I'm freaking out that it's October...I should have started earlier!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

::Today you are you, that's truer than true, there's no one alive who's youer than you:: -Dr.Seuss
Fraugee728

I have crafting ADHD. Seriously.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010 05:40:34 AM »

This is my first attempt at mostly handmade gifting this Christmas, and I toyed with the idea of doing all handmade Christmas gifts, but have settled on just making things for folks in my family who will appreciate them.  I will still have to purchase a couple of things ready made from a store this Christmas, but I'd rather do that than spend the time to make something for someone who is completely unappreciative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step one:  Collect Underpants
Step two:  ? ? ?
Step three:  Profit!

http://sometimessewist.wordpress.com
Icemaiden
CSI addict!!

Annoy me...I'll set my pet sock,stripy, on you!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010 01:30:56 PM »

Some of my presents this year will be handmade for two reasons: I enjoy doing it and can tailor it specially and also it may work out slightly cheaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall,ninety-nine bottles of beer.Swab one down,run it through CODIS,ninety-eight bottles of beer on the wall"

"Would you mind if I took a picture for my bite collection?"
"Whatever rubs your Buddha."

"Don't touch me.I'm evidence
gigglygirl

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gigglygirl/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010 06:10:45 PM »

I'm doing all handmade tree ornaments this year. I enjoy homemade gifts but I know I couldn't do it all handmade. Smiley Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010 08:03:10 PM »

I've winnowed our giving list quite a bit. And I make so many presents that for his birthday, DS#2 asked if he was getting anything storebought... I've been making a lot of altered books lately and I'm working on one for my brother, who has more money than God - they buy anything they want so I've always made something. I figure it's the thought that counts. It also helps that my in-laws have decided to do presents only for the kids - 3 gifts vs 9 gifts is a huge difference.
I try to have the attitude that any act of kindness puts good karma in the world. I also have a present drawer that I stock all year long from thrift shops and such with things that I find that aren't expensive or even worth very much, but have a meaning for the person I'm giving them to.

I guess I'm more of the handmade and try to reuse gifts...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010 10:24:21 PM »

I'm going to try and do handmade this year, as well.  I'm working on an afghan for my fiance and a crocheted rag rug or two for my mother.  She saw some at a craft fair she went to with me this past summer and totally adored every one of them, so I know they'll be well-received.  FH knows he's getting an afghan, lol, and can't wait Smiley

I'm trying to do swaps for other stuff.  I'm getting tired of the same old store-bought stuff and money is tight this year anyway.  Getting my little brother cool molded soaps might reduce the bathtime arguments anyway  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lucinda879
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010 11:38:49 AM »

I did an all handmade holiday a few years ago.  My family gives multiple gifts to each person, so I knew I had my work cut out for me - I started crafting in Summer.  I probably made at least 10 handmade items each for 5 people, plus some random things for fringe family members Wink  It was a lot of work, but so much more satisfying for each gift opened Smiley

I did a homemade holiday for three reasons:
1. I worked part-time so I had extra time to craft  Cheesy
2. I worked part-time so I had no money  Undecided
3. I knew my family would appreciate handmade gifts Smiley

I still do handmade gifts each year, but not like that one year where it was my "theme" to do only handmade gifts. This year I've slowly been making hobo squares for an afghan for my mom, and I'm doing some personalized jewelry for my sister, but otherwise it's store-bought this go 'round.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Need to Know: The Smart Watch, Swing Skirts, and The Lunchbox Fund
London Fashion Week from the Vine of a Make-Up Artist
Revlon by Marchesa Nail Wrap Review
Tips For False Lashes and Daytime Foundation
Anna Sui - NYFW Spring 2014 - Interviews, Backstage & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...