A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photo story  (Read 781 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marleymiss
Only Skin

Stitches 'n' Hoes

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2010 04:55:53 AM »

I have a new project starting in photography in two weeks. We have to do a photostory which is "exciting but realistic" and I have no bloody idea where to start. I don't particularly enjoy photography for work rather than leisure, so I'm finding it pretty hard to get excited. Any suggestions for a direction I can take this in would be handy!!
xxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marleymiss
Only Skin

Stitches 'n' Hoes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010 05:21:30 AM »

Or any photographers that have done photostories or photojournalism that I can do some research on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010 05:45:05 PM »

Pretty much any national geographic article is a great photo story. But I'm not sure what your assignment is asking. Is it photojournalism, photos combined with words, or are the photos standing for themselves, like children's book style?
If it's just photos in a lighthearted way, you can take an object (or actual animal or person) and follow them on a little adventure. For example, if you've seen those photos with the eggs with faces drawn on and one is cracked, the others are scared/nervous/etc. In this situation you could have them sitting in the fridge, then out on the counter looking around nervously, then one being broken, and so on. That's just an example I've seen before of course, you could do that with anything.
You could also take any event and document it (or if this is supposed to be fictional, make up an event - like, what if your guitar playing friend became famous? what would his day or week or month go like?). For a real event you could use a baseball game, a birthday party, even just a school day... but do it with a little twist if it's something normal to give it that excitement. What I mean by that is don't just take straight on snapshot photos. Zoom in on various parts of the scene, shoot from different angles/heights, use a really shallow depth of field so only one tiny thing is in focus, etc.
This sounds really fun now that I'm thinking about it, I wish I had a project like this haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neurosylum
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010 08:22:21 PM »

I'd suggest start taking lots of pictures about anything (unless if you're using one of those slr cameras that needs film). Once you do, you'll soon figure out what you want in terms of composition as well as story. If your teacher lets you, you can even set it up yourself with people helping out to model for you.

Good luck Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rock, paper, scissors? Why, yes, I've used them all.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Tissue Paper Carnations
How to Make Tissue Flowers
How to Make a Bag Out of Paper
How to Make a Felted Fabric Sandwich
How to Create a Memory Map Board
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...