A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Breaking News: What's with all of the SPAM on Craftster?  Click here to find out what happened!
Total Members: 307,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
339 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: NEW DIY Method for Printing on Fabric with Household Products! (photos!!)  (Read 14639 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DollyDonations
« on: September 02, 2010 03:35:58 AM »

This tutorial is not only for fabric labels but for printing on fabric for any project from your home printer and all from things that you probably already have in your pantry!!

Ive wanted to get some fabric labels made for a while now but of course Ive run out of time. So I did a bit of experimenting today and whipped some up and you can too.

What youll need:
Computer/inkjet printer
Freezer paper (its the paper that is waxed on one side only)
Light weight and light colored cotton
Baking Tray
Vinegar
Water
Iron and ironing board
2 Scissors (paper and fabric)

First lets talk about your logo/name design. I used Photoshop to put together my label but Im sure you can do this in Word too.

5 Things to Remember:

1) Keep it simple.
2) Use dark ink (white in a logo will be left bank, showing the color of your fabric).
3) Choose a font thats easy to read.
4) Keep a spacing of an inch or more between them.
5) Test print a few times on regular plain paper before you go to the trouble of making a label and not liking the look or size of it afterwards!

Now for the fun part!

Cut a piece of freezer paper 8.5 x 11 inches (A4). Place it wax side down (thats the shiny side!), onto your fabric. With your iron preheated to a medium to high heat, iron  the plain paper backing side. Youll start to see it adhere to the fabric. If any air bubbles appear keep ironing that spot, its just where the wax and fabric havent attached yet.

Now trim the fabric to the same size at the wax paper. Make sure you remove ALL the loose ends..(I learnt the hard way, it causes smudges!!!)

Off to the printer you skip with your new crazy fabric paper clutched firmly in your hand .. tra-la-la ..

Press print and cross your fingers!!!!!

Ta-da! Stand back and be amazed I mean look how pretty they are!!!!!
Ok the funs not over yet as printer ink is NOT color fast ...so ..

Wait for the ink to dry (yup this is like watching paint dry what a bore when you're soooo excited to see your fabulous name on FABRIC!!!)

Once dry, peel away your paper backing and gawk in oar at your creation! (Seriously you feel like a fabric designer or something!!!)

Now . Make a little bath of white vinegar. I used a backing pan but another pot etc will do..

Soak for 5 mins or so . (The smell made me crave good old fashion English fish and chip hmmm sooo hungry!)

Remove from bath and gently rinse under water to get the vinegar smell out . Then hang to dry in the sun (or if youre impatient like me, lay it on an old towel and use a hair dryer high heat setting baby!! Made a big batch . Well if you choose to use your dryer I havent yet - dont put it in with a load just in case .!!!!)

Cut and sew onto the back of your creation! Worried about fraying edges, well if you dont like them as a design element add some iron on interfacing and then sew around the edge using a tight zig-zag stitch .

Ahhhh the joys of creating and saving cash-o-la at the same time!

Enjoy!

So the big question.. Why did I try vinegar to set the ink? Well I remembered a while ago I was trying to get an ink stain out of a lovely dress, did a search and ended up on some random site that said 'Dont soak in vinegar!' and I thought hmmmm interesting!  (I never did save the dress!)

Why use this method over others?

1) Its cheap!
2) Its much more environmentally friendly than some shiny plastic transfer
3) It looks fab .. and works wonderfully.

. Dont believe me, try it, youll be amazed! Ive washed, dried and rewashed labels (scrubbed them with a tooth brush and soap too!!) and there was no visible difference!!!!! Hooray! (I do recommend you test it out before you jump into a big project as all printer inks are different.)

Experiment!! Try colored photos, poems for scrapbooking, sew them into pillows, quilts, the skys the limit .. you might just find your new crafting obsession Wink  I know I have!!!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010 04:17:05 AM by DollyDonations » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PearlyWhirly
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010 04:17:14 AM »

brilliant =] cant wait to try this, just got to wait for my freezer paper to arrive now =[
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radmom
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010 04:47:04 AM »

Thanks so much for the tute, which also just showed me I do not need to waste money on those prepackaged fabric for printer. You're a doll. Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DreamChild556

1+2+2+1. That's not six!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010 04:58:06 AM »

That is so awesome! I've been wanting my own labels for a while, but was too cheap to buy them. Thank you so much for sharing this method of making your own. I will definitely be trying this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1,2 Freddy's coming for you.
3,4 better lock your door.
5,6 grab your crucifix.
7,8 gonna stay up late.
9,10 never sleep again.
GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010 09:40:34 AM »

Wonderful idea. Thanks for the tutorial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
alixianervosa

That's what she said

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010 09:55:55 AM »

Loves it!  And your labels are adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God wanted us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates." -Willy Wonka
Poosel
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010 11:37:25 AM »

*wiggles tail vigorously*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/poosel

Sketchbook Project Theme: Nightmares
kosmicgirl
ATC ringmaster ;)

damn right I'm a princess!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010 12:21:00 PM »

Awesome! I've been wanting to try this for a long time, but always thought the ink would just wash out.
What brand of printer are you using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DollyDonations
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010 01:39:45 PM »

I used a Brother inkjet Smiley nothing special and it worked wonderfully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Poosel
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010 01:58:56 PM »

Awesome! I've been wanting to try this for a long time, but always thought the ink would just wash out.
What brand of printer are you using?

tee hee, I just made a whole bunch and it worked out beautifully. We have a Kodak inkjet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftladyofsteel
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010 03:14:20 PM »

Oh my Goodness! You are a crafting genius! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for your lovely tutorial and excellent narration. I will tra-la-la a couple times for sure! Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DollyDonations
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010 04:23:29 PM »

oh do show us Poosel!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DollyDonations
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010 04:24:49 PM »

My pleasure craft lady of steel (love the name!)  I'd love to see how they turn out Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishgurll
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010 04:49:46 PM »

You are effing brilliant, I can't even believe this - can't wait to try it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- I use antlers in all of my decorating -
AgentVulpecula
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010 05:21:09 PM »

AWE-SOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Poosel
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010 06:05:44 PM »

oh do show us Poosel!!! Smiley

Ok Grin
 I just used Word...and the clipart from it as well.

The first one is an octopus (I like how the legs are loopy like the writing)
The second one is a fly, and the third are bats.

These are a lot of fun to make....and all the other possibilities...
I didn't use vinegar for mine. After they were done printing, I heat set them with an iron. I have washed them and the ink stays and nothing smears or runs Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babychel
McTavish: the tiniest kitty in all the land

Yep, that is a tissue box ...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010 06:07:57 PM »

Thank you so much for the tute...  The possibilities are endless!  I'd love to make my own fabric, like spoonflower.com...  Also love how you came across the vinegar solution for getting the ink to stay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
~Threadless

wisty goodness
DollyDonations
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010 06:41:20 PM »

Ooowww I like the bats Poosel!!!  Very cute!  I havent tried just the heat set as I was told by a friend that laundry detergents can lighten them drastically.  And as my dolls can be popped in the washing machine well .. me no likie!

I agree, spoonflower is fab fun Babychel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010 07:19:58 AM »

I am so exited to try this! I think I may try this weekend and I will show pics once I do
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
DollyDonations
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010 07:26:45 AM »

**** UPDATE **** 
Thanks to everyone testing out this method ............this is what we have learnt so far!

Heat Set
Those of you not heat setting your printed fabric after soaking in vinegar are seeing fading of black ink when vigorously washed in hot water and soap.  So dont forget to HEAT SET -  use an iron, or like me a hairdryer on high heat or you can give your dryer a go!

Colored Printing
I havent tried color yet . Just wasnt what I was after however Ive heard from 3 people all who had difficulty with some colors.  Lighter colors such as pink are disappearing in the vinegar I have no idea if that is the printer ink they are using or this is a normal reaction.  Everyone that has tested the method so far has said that the black ink stays wonderfully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010 07:55:44 AM »

you are a legend!
Thanks for sharing your technique  Grin
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
kosmicgirl
ATC ringmaster ;)

damn right I'm a princess!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010 09:21:18 AM »

So I just had to try this out over the weekend.. and I'm pretty pleased with the result!
Worked fine on my HP printer, but the ink didn't turn out as dark black as your result.
My husband meant the ink bled a bit when I washed the vinegar out, but since I can't see
it, it doesn't matter  Wink

Thanks again for the great tip!
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=388208&size=big&cat=&ppuser=142869
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Poosel
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010 09:29:51 AM »

So I just had to try this out over the weekend.. and I'm pretty pleased with the result!
Worked fine on my HP printer, but the ink didn't turn out as dark black as your result.
My husband meant the ink bled a bit when I washed the vinegar out, but since I can't see
it, it doesn't matter  Wink

Thanks again for the great tip!
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=388208&size=big&cat=&ppuser=142869

Oh, wie suess, ein kleines Monster  Grin  (Transl: oh, how cute, a little monster)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DollyDonations
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010 12:04:54 PM »

Oh they look fab Kosmicgirl!

i still haven't gotten round to testing mine for color ......   anyone done some in color yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CardiaK
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010 10:35:13 PM »

Thanks for sharing this method!

Has anyone tested this with a laser printer?  Or is this inkjet only?  I would imagine laser might be easier just because it already heatsets as part of the printing process; but that heat may compromise the image because of the wax getting heated up.

I have a color laser printer that I use for another method I discovered on here (using a mirror imaged print, solvent, and burnishing the back of the print to get it to transfer) but your method with the wax paper is a heck of a lot less work than burnishing; and I'm planning on doing jerseys for a whole basketball team this winter.  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
DollyDonations
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010 05:31:00 AM »

Thanks!

oowwww  no sorry the laser printer work because of the wax paper you'll end up with a horrid mess on your hands!!!  Maybe you can borrow a friends printer ?  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goddessgarb
Artful Journeyer

I am not your carpet ride; I am the sky...

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010 11:41:11 AM »

Seriously?  This sounds AMAZING.  I can't wait to try it with black and white photos and line art!!!!  And to make my own labels which are just freakishly expensive to buy!  THANK YOU for sharing this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theartfuljourney.wordpress.com
Paper and Ephemera Swap Rd. 11 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431439.20
Open to Personal Swapping, esp. mail art, supplies, and ephemera
Boon
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011 09:48:08 AM »

Dolly Donations,     This is such a great project! You have saved me hours of work using other image reproduction techniques.  I do have one question though-- Do you know if a laser printer would work, or does it have to be an inkjet printer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darlenemarie
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011 09:36:59 AM »

Love your labels. What a fantastic idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

Darlene
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skittlebub
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011 08:11:21 PM »

Is there something your could use other than freezer paper?
Where I live in Aus, we can't get freezer paper unless we get it from specialty stores & it's mega expensive
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 things 2013

I have a new postal address. PM me if you need it - 3/16/12
chughes225
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011 06:14:22 AM »

I can't wait to try this. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kimchery
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011 01:04:15 PM »

Aw, this is FABULOUS.  I never knew you could do anything like this.  Thanks for sharing, I'll be sure to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HomemadeSunshine

Craft the Revolution.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011 10:07:52 AM »

Oooo, just what I needed! Thanks. Can't wait to try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Something nice to brighten your daily life.
www.HomemadeSunshine.etsy.com
mistressH
glue gun weilding cowgirl

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011 02:07:24 AM »

i did something similar for the recent one tiny book swap only i taped my fabric onto lightweight card to feed it into the printer, inkjet onto fabric creates such a lovely look doesnt it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aries32
Randomly Doodling My Life Away...

Knicker Twisted Foolette

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011 08:36:34 PM »

That is amazing Cheesy I will have to try this soon! Maybe for the Toy Society drops Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'd love to do personal swaps! PM me!
Eclecticlyfe
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012 06:40:46 AM »

Can't wait to try this - I have a very young niece who is non-verbal and can't wait to make ID labels for her- like wristlets/anklets etc.

BTW- just an idea for those with no access to freezer paper would ironing a piece of wax paper between the fabric and a plain paper backing work ?
LIKE  > fabric /wax paper/plain paper< Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To become learned, each day add something. To become enlightened, each day drop something."  Lao Tzu
lovesclutter

msassive stroke March 18 not right in the head.:(

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012 02:40:44 PM »

Yes, you can use a laser printer. I do this method only. Ink Jets with their paper paths jam up the printer. My lasers have a straighter path, and this is no issue with the 'melting'. I just heat set with an iron when finished. I just did 6 panels for a wall quilt.

And it costs less, and no smelly vinegar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
aliis
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012 06:05:06 AM »

YOU.
are.
one.
mad.
GENIUS!

Cheesy

Hear that? That is my brain melting when I think all the possibilities.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Road goes ever ever on...
kitschcrazy
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012 11:41:54 PM »

What a great technique, thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're only given a little spark of madness... You mustn't lose it! (Robin Williams)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Whip Up a Refreshing Coconut and Lime Granita
Magic Cake Mix Pie Crust Recipe
How to Make Healthy Apple Pie Cups
How to Make the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie
How to Make a Gorgeous Spoon Cake
Latest Blog Articles
I propose a toast!
Tute Tuesday: Plastic Mesh Rug
Love Your Mother

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...