A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sharpening the edges of graph crochet  (Read 523 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2010 08:21:48 PM »

I'm currently working on a purse, and since I wanted to put a design on it I am doing a graph in single crochet. However, my letters came out funny:

See the gaps where I overlapped the green? I don't know how to sharpen up the edges so you can actually read it! (I'd really rather not frog the whole thing and do it over.) I had a thought about embroidering around the edges with thread, but I'm not sure how that would look . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
tarr0011
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010 10:52:33 PM »

If you're patient with this thing.. you can easily make it work.

Next time you make something with a graph- you may want to consider changing the way you change colors. that's your first problem. But like I said, this is fixable.

Go to this website to see how to properly switch colors: http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/join-new-yarn.htm

I think you should be able to embroider the edges with the same color of light blue you originally used. Play around with it a little- you can always take it out. you may need way fewer stitches than you are imagining. Soemtimes, it also works just to go over the green parts with the light blue- so just stitch over the green you dont' like -but try to keep the stitches consistent with the flow of the crochet stitches.

This is definitely do-able, and if you're not happy with it, just think of it like an old school pixelated word! It's still really good, it looks like!

Great job! I'd love to see the end product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010 02:34:20 PM »

I did use that method of changing colors (that is, pull up a loop for an SC, switch colors and finish the stitch), but for some reason my wrong-side rows come out looking funny. :/

Thanks for the help though, I will try just filling in the green parts and see how that looks. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Scarves in New York
How to Wear Wellies
How to Wear a Knit Hat
How to Wear Hats in New York
How to Pick the Right Bag for Your Outfit
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...