A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Precious Metal Clay  (Read 36421 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wine_slut
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2005 11:30:11 AM »

newbie here, and did search to see if there were any specific discussions about this before hand.

:takes a deep breath:

I'm about to embark on my first time PMC project, and I'm afraid I've read so many (too many?) explanations of how to patina. Can anyone help shed some light?

1. I bought liver of sulfur, but I bought it as a liquid solution. Most of the explanations I've read only talk about using the dry form. Is the 331-031 solution I have very strong? (I'd like to use a very dilute form, as per everything I've read). If it's strong, should I cut it with what--water? Something else?

2. Can anyone explain the relationship of LOS vs. ammonia to me? Some patina explanations mix ammonia WITH the LOS , other explanations suggest you use the amonia seperately. Is amonia only for irridescent effects? What works best with your experience?

And does the ammonia have to be clear, or can it be the sudsy type I found in the grocery store?

3. How important is warm/cold with this process? Most accounts I've read suggest that the piece (or the LOS) should be warm, but then are you also supposed to shock the piece in a cold water bath after each dip?

thanks for all of your advice!

<edited to thank whomever moved this to a more appropiate location>
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005 04:06:51 PM by wine_slut » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Valoir

I knew I could make it myself!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2005 12:22:59 PM »

I used that pre-mixed solution, but I cannot remember if I diluted it with water.  It should say on the package. 

Sometimes people recommend adding a few drops of ammonia to a cup or two of solution, theoretically it brings out the colors.  I use the clear ammonia which shouldn't be difficult to find. 

I do think that heating the solution it to a warm temperature works best.  I warm it in the microwave, or if I am adding water, add warm water.

The other thing I noticed about the solution was that the unused solution (still in the container) went bad after about 6 months - it just turned things brown rather than getting the nice colors.  That's when I switched back to the lump form, because LOS works a lot better as a fresh solution. 

Just remember that it is totally unpredicatable and that depending on whether the piece is clean or has oils on it, the temperature, the freshness, etc. you will get different results.  You may also look at the ganoksin.com website.  Tons of jeweler-created questions and answers. 

Valerie/Valoir
www.valoirdesigns.c om
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's all jewelry all the time!
http://www.valoirdesigns.com
tcap
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2005 11:37:16 AM »

Has anyone tried making silver jewelry using Art Clay? Here's a link:

http://www.firemountaingems.com/artclay.asp

I'm intrigued because it seems much easier to do than lost wax method, but I wonder if the finished result REALLY looks like silver. I'd hate to invest all the money in the starter kit and butane torch and then not really like the result.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftsurge
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Thank God For Glue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2005 02:00:45 PM »

Hi tcap

I have been using Art Clay for 6 months or so now and I really am liking it. here is a link to a similar thread:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=32157.0

You can get a mirror finish from art clay, here is one of my certification pieces:

It is not even fully buffed yet! This center of the pendant is a piece of dichroic glass. This was a real easy project and took only an hour or so!
Good luck! I hope you enjoy experimenting with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rylizbeth

I don't remember...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2005 07:28:26 AM »

Hi tcap

I have been using Art Clay for 6 months or so now and I really am liking it. here is a link to a similar thread:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=32157.0

You can get a mirror finish from art clay, here is one of my certification pieces:

It is not even fully buffed yet! This center of the pendant is a piece of dichroic glass. This was a real easy project and took only an hour or so!
Good luck! I hope you enjoy experimenting with it!

How did you achieve such a beautifully smooth finish?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftsurge
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Thank God For Glue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2005 10:45:22 AM »

Thanks!
This is a trick i learned from my instructor. You can use "Wet Ones" wet wipes to smooth the surface during the green stage (before it is fired). This really helps get it smooth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rylizbeth

I don't remember...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2005 12:03:31 PM »

Thanks!
This is a trick i learned from my instructor. You can use "Wet Ones" wet wipes to smooth the surface during the green stage (before it is fired). This really helps get it smooth.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neigung
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2005 11:27:55 AM »

I thought I read somewhere that it's necessary to tumble PMC pieces after they're fired to harden the metal.  Is this true?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ClassyLassy
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2005 09:47:58 PM »

nope, it's not necessary but it does help, regardless the end result from pmc tends to be softer than using sheet metal, so anything to make it stronger does help. i've notice with using it though, that i've only had problems with deforming or breaking when i either made something extremely thin or made rings. the thinner rings tended to form to the shape of my finger after A LOT of wear, but i didn't think it was necessarily a bad thing. but it's nothing to worry about if you're using it for something like a pendant or earrings where it won't have a lot of stress on it. the main reason i typically tumble my finished pieces is to speed up polishing. it makes quite a difference and is a lot less frustrating than sitting and rubbing and scratching at the piece! (i appreciate anything that keeps the blood pressure down) hope that helped some!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everything is a miracle. It is a miracle that one does not dissolve in one's bath like a lump of sugar." -Pablo Picasso
Tuff
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2005 07:55:44 AM »

I fire mine in a kiln, but my friend bought a Hot Pot and it is awesome. I think it was $35, and the fluid is pretty inexpensive. There is no judgement involved, just light it and 10 or so minutes it is done. It takes me a few hours in my kiln from start to finish. With the torch you have to watch and there is very little forgiving. I think I'm going to buyn a hot pot even though I have a kiln.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Blue-Green Eye Makeup Inspired by Kelly Osbourne
Three Beauty Mistakes That Make You Look Tired
4 Treatments for Younger Looking Skin
Beauty Products for Spring
5 Ways to Upgrade Your French Manicure
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...