A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
710 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Precious Metal Clay  (Read 35497 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mmd32
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2007 01:16:54 PM »

Super nice! You mean that is not silver?? it looks so alike...

I wish I know how to do this...

It IS silver...it's just made in a completely new, different way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mirela
mirela

I can do that!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2007 09:46:36 AM »

Ohhh I see! I have read some more about this and found that incredible things can be made out of it...
I am brand new to this...so I think i'll practice in regular clay first and then hopefully move to PMC...
I'm loving your pendant and really wish I could do the same!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everywear by Mirela

Cutting Edge Stitches and Seams Blog

Find me on:
Ravelry:     mirela
BurdaStyle: mirela
Flicker:      fmirela
Neigung
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2007 06:06:09 PM »

The only type of PMC I've used so far is PMC3, which I understand is different from the other types of PMC because it can be fired at a lower temperature. Anyway, I'm thinking about switching over to Art Clay because of the lack of Canadian suppliers of PMC... and I'm assuming that Art Clay 650 is probably the closest match to PMC3, is this right?  Is there any other major differences between the two clays that I should be aware of??
I haven't used PMC3 much.. but I remember it being very similar to the ACS650. I have read on different msg boards that a lot of people find them very similar. I am curious what you think if you end up making the switch

Thanks for the reply!  I will definitely post back once I try out ACS650.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieDust721
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2007 09:16:06 AM »

Hi!  I recently purchaced a small kiln specifically to fire pmc (and eventually glass beads when i have more money for a tourch and what not). 

So being the type of person that acts then thinks, i did not do the propper research.  My question is, do i need a kiln shelf when firing?
Is there anything else that can be used instead?  I am having trouble finding a kiln shelf small enough for the kiln (6x6x4.5''), i may have to order one from the company. 

Also is there any tools that are necessary?  So far I am planning on getting a file for before and after and possibley something to polish it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meshell
Art Teacher & Metalsmith

!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2007 01:22:26 PM »

Hi!  I recently purchaced a small kiln specifically to fire pmc (and eventually glass beads when i have more money for a tourch and what not). 

So being the type of person that acts then thinks, i did not do the propper research.  My question is, do i need a kiln shelf when firing?
Is there anything else that can be used instead?  I am having trouble finding a kiln shelf small enough for the kiln (6x6x4.5''), i may have to order one from the company. 

Also is there any tools that are necessary?  So far I am planning on getting a file for before and after and possibley something to polish it.

Well, one nice thing about PMC is that you can put it in when the kiln is hot and remove it before the kiln cools down.  If you plan on doing that, you should get the kiln shelf and little ceramic legs for it to stand on...as well as a firing fork.

I'm not sure how much that kiln shelf would cost you, but a cheaper option might be to buy a stainless steel firing rack and put a non-asbestos hot pad on it.  You can fire your PMC directly on top of the hot pad, I do it all the time.  When you get the firing rack, you use pliers to bend each corner to a right angle--that gives it little feet to stand on.

Anyway, Thompson Enamel is a really nice supplier if you are looking for one.  The stuff I mentioned is on this page: http://thompsonenamel.com/products/tools/firing.htm

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.recycledstar.et sy.com --> Fine silver jewelry and other goodies Smiley

www.recycledstar.co m --> Needs to be updated!
PixieDust721
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2007 03:04:47 PM »

...as well as a firing fork....non-asbestos hot pad

Thanks so much for the link and the advice!  I have two more questions for you now though, Does the fork's handle become so hot that are gloves neccessary?  And is the hot pad soft enough to be cut to size?  Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meshell
Art Teacher & Metalsmith

!

« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2007 03:16:52 AM »

...as well as a firing fork....non-asbestos hot pad

Thanks so much for the link and the advice!  I have two more questions for you now though, Does the fork's handle become so hot that are gloves necessary?  And is the hot pad soft enough to be cut to size?  Thanks again!

No problem! 

The firing fork should have a wooden handle and metal guard on the end and does not get hot.  You might want to make sure that the fork part has a small enough opening to still fit in your kiln!  One reason you might want gloves is if your kiln door gets very hot...sometimes you need a glove to get the door open, depending on how it is insulated.  Just to be certain, your kiln opens to the front, like a microwave or oven, right?

Second, the hot pad is soft, and I believe it could be cut down.  I have never tried it, but I don't see why not.

Third, I would pick up some vermiculite from a garden center.  You can make a small pile of it on top of the hot pad and fire it in the kiln.  I use it to help support curved or round pieces.  The vermiculite changes color after the first firing, but you can use it again and again...

Sorry I'm so wordy!  Let me know if you need clarification.  Also, I wouldn't hesitate to call Thompson to ask questions about the firing materials.  I've called before and talked to them at conferences, and they've always been very helpful.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fg0d
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2007 03:16:19 PM »

Guys, I need help. I plan on making a necklace with a little baby hand on the end, based on a doll hand. How should I go about it? Should I make a mold, or just cover the item in PMC paste? I'm kinda new to this. I'd like to keep the detail in the fingers, like the creases and finger nails, so it's obviously a child's hand. Any tips are welcome. Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieDust721
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2007 04:59:32 AM »

Guys, I need help. I plan on making a necklace with a little baby hand on the end, based on a doll hand. How should I go about it? Should I make a mold, or just cover the item in PMC paste? I'm kinda new to this. I'd like to keep the detail in the fingers, like the creases and finger nails, so it's obviously a child's hand. Any tips are welcome. Thanks.

i'm pretty new my self, but if the hand is made of plastic it would probably melt.  and a ceramic hand might crack, but i am not sure.  I would go with the mold to be safe and to keep the details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meshell
Art Teacher & Metalsmith

!

« Reply #139 on: July 26, 2007 09:58:28 PM »

PixieDust is right, if you put paste on the hand, the plastic will melt and burn out inside of your kiln.  This is ok if you have proper ventilation, but if not, it will smell bad (not too mention bad for the environment...).  The other problem with painting paste on the outside of the hand is that once it is fired, you will be left with a rather thin hollow form.

I would suggest using a 2-part cold molding silicone to create a mold of the plastic hand.  This is the brand I use (I just did a google search, and it was the first one to come up): http://metalclay.com/rpm-cart/product.phtml?ProdID=BelSil-70g
It sets in 15-25 minutes once you have mixed the two parts together.  Also, the silicone surface is great because PMC will not stick to it.

Another alternative would be to shape a hand out of the lump clay and use tools to put add the creases/nails.  You could practice making some out of sculpey, then try the real one in PMC!

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Halloween Mermaid Makeup Tutorial
Evenlyn Lozada Talks Beauty Trends
Wear Marchesa On Your Nails
Tips On How To Hide Puffy Eyes
Dating Advice from Tyler Blackburn
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...