A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Precious Metal Clay  (Read 37972 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tuff
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2005 08:44:32 AM »

Oddly enough, most of the serious jewelry designers that I know use art clay as opposed to PMC. Not sure if it because it has been around longer or not. I use PMC because it has nicer colors on the package.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smokingmonkey
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2005 04:48:24 PM »

I just bought a PMC3 Hot Pot Kit with tools and clay to make a ring. I haven't tried it yet as I need to get some sculpey first to practice.

My question is - has anyone tried firing Art Clay in the Hot Pot? Since the two products are so similar?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tuff
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2005 05:21:00 AM »

What temp does art clay say to fire at? Off hand I think PMC is 1675, for like 20 minutes, someone might want to confirm that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goose on the Loose
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2005 03:24:58 PM »

Art Clay is actually different from PMC on a molecular level in that the microscopic particles are smaller.  For that reason, Art Clay silver does indeed fire at a lower temp.  Off the top of my head I think it's like 1490f for about a half hour.  I've fired the standard and slow dry standard at 1650 - it's not recommended to do this for more than five minutes.  I prefer the standard series to the low fire because it is less expensive and I'm more interested in sculpture than working with glass which is where the low fire is really important. 
In my experience Art Clay Silver IS better than PMC for a number of reasons...
1. ACS is made with recycled rather than newly mined silver.
2. It is more 'refined' - you can burnish & smooth ACS in it's green state (pre fired but bone dry) - It actually LOOKS like silver before you fire it and depending on the type of piece I've actually had ACS smooth almost shiny right out of the kiln.
I know it sounds crazy - you just have to try both PMC & ACS to see for yourself. 
3. Although ACS is discontinuing the 'Standard Series' argh - I LOVE SLOW DRY!  It's not pasty & doesn't 'pull' or snag on instruments at any stage of drying. 
4.  ACS doesn't break (ring shanks for instance) in the green state which is great for me because I love carving it.  I guess that because the molecules are smaller the bond is stronger from the beginning.
Hope this helps - I don't mean to sound like a nancy know it all - I've worked with both products for a couple of years now & have made many mistakes & many really cool discoveries.
J
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Valoir

I knew I could make it myself!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2005 02:32:38 PM »

I work with both clays as well and it sounds like Goose on the Loose has presented you the ACS marketing lines.  I advise people to try both brands of clay and decide which they think is "better" based on how they work with the clay. 

The clays are very similar, and you work with them the same ways.  You do want to fire it for the time and temperature listed on the package.  The low temperature Art Clay Silver should work in the hotpot, since it roughly corresponds to the temperatures of the PMC3 product. 

Another trick to making PMC dry more slowly is to add a drop of glycerin, work it in and let the clay rest for about 30 minutes.  It makes the clay not try out as fast. 

Keep in mind that there is trial and error involved with creating with the silver clays.  But it is really fun.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's all jewelry all the time!
http://www.valoirdesigns.com
Kaku
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2005 09:50:35 AM »

What is metal clay?  It is a wonderful form of fine silver (or pure gold) mixed with an organic binder and water.  This form allows you to mold and texture the metal, then when it is fired in a kiln, the binder burns away leaving just pure silver or gold.  I teach metal clay classes in Colorado and just finished a book, Metal Clay Magic, published by Kalmbach (same folks who do Bead and Button  and Art Jewelry magazines).  You can see more info at tonnbodesign.com or examples at nanajewelry.com Theres a bunch of links in there leading you to other interesting metal clay sites.  I really enjoy introducing this medium to beaders and artists who want to add a touch of original silver pieces without taking a whole silversmitihing course.  Hope this inspires you to try it!  Kaku
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaku
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2005 10:59:01 AM »

I got a message which may be of interest to others - kaku

I found your website from the posting on Craftster. I'm wondering whether it is realistic for a beginner to order metal clay and make pieces out of it. How complicated is the process?
And do you sell it?

Thanks,

C. Metrycki

Try reading some of the books on metal first and if you are willing to make some mistakes, try it!  I usually teach my beginners in one afternoon to make a finished piece. A good beginner project is the textured heart pin in my book. My book, Metal Clay Magic, is sold through my website tonnbodesign.com. Read the intro, sections on supplies, technical tips and select an easy project.  Get the little portable kiln "Hot Pot" or if you don't mind playing with fire, use a butane torch (read about it in the book).  It is easier than it sounds. If you can get a friend to try it with you it is more fun.  I do have some basic supplies listed on my website and there is a list of suppliers' websites in the book, too. Pick a day you have the kitchen to yourself, pour a glass of wine (to drink) and go for it!   

THIS ROCKS   Logged
vermontkindgoods
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2005 08:04:15 AM »

Never Mind! Didn't realize there was a big thread about it already!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005 08:53:08 AM by vermontkindgoods » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Valoir

I knew I could make it myself!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2005 09:08:13 AM »

I work with it all the time.  I do have a kiln and find that to give me more consistent results than torch firing.  I also have metalsmith training and worked as a jewelry designer for a custom jewelry.  I only mention that because I think all of the knowledge adds to getting good results with the silver clay. 
Check my website: www.valoirdesigns.com.  I was also on crafters-coast to coast - the episode just repeated last week, if you can get ahold of that it shows how to set a gemstone and torch firing.

Here are some images of my first creations, from about 3 years ago:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's all jewelry all the time!
http://www.valoirdesigns.com
Neigung
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2005 07:52:38 PM »

I bought PMC3 a little while back and just opened it up tonight.  I was expecting a clay like substance, but it's so wet I can't even pick it up.  Is there something wrong with it? Should I return it?  Could I have done something to make it the way it is or is it suppose to be that way?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alenecouture.etsy.com - updated: 13/04/09
alenecouture.blogspot.com  - updated: 06/01/09
Find Me on Facebook !
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stip fibers from peapods for Chinese food ingredie
Important ingredients for Chinese cooking
Learn about basic Chinese cooking equipment
Art of Chinese Cooking - Food Basics Part 2 of 8
Art of Chinese Cooking - Food Basics Part 1 of 8
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...