A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,035
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Precious Metal Clay  (Read 40006 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ClassyLassy
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2005 08:54:59 AM »

i've been using a small kiln and torch too..how much are the hot pot's??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everything is a miracle. It is a miracle that one does not dissolve in one's bath like a lump of sugar." -Pablo Picasso
Tuff
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2005 10:12:17 AM »

Just checked...........They are up to $45 at PMC Connection. I remember my friend paying like $35 a little while ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rylizbeth

I don't remember...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2005 11:01:13 AM »

I use a torch now too, and I have screwed up a couple of things.  Sad I may have to invest in a hot pot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ClassyLassy
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2005 12:17:08 PM »

wow, that is so much cheaper than my kiln was..i think i'm going to have to do some research and possibly invest in one too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everything is a miracle. It is a miracle that one does not dissolve in one's bath like a lump of sugar." -Pablo Picasso
Neigung
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2005 11:43:52 PM »

nope, it's not necessary but it does help, regardless the end result from pmc tends to be softer than using sheet metal, so anything to make it stronger does help. i've notice with using it though, that i've only had problems with deforming or breaking when i either made something extremely thin or made rings. the thinner rings tended to form to the shape of my finger after A LOT of wear, but i didn't think it was necessarily a bad thing. but it's nothing to worry about if you're using it for something like a pendant or earrings where it won't have a lot of stress on it. the main reason i typically tumble my finished pieces is to speed up polishing. it makes quite a difference and is a lot less frustrating than sitting and rubbing and scratching at the piece! (i appreciate anything that keeps the blood pressure down) hope that helped some!  Wink

That does help a lot.  Thanks very much!  I may just try using a mallet to make my pieces stronger.... for the meantime anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alenecouture.etsy.com - updated: 13/04/09
alenecouture.blogspot.com  - updated: 06/01/09
Find Me on Facebook !
Tuff
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2005 05:19:26 AM »

I didn't have time to go thru all the posts to see if someone recommended it, but I would NEVER try to harden my PMC with a mallet, it is much more brittle than sheet metal silver.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
millipede
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2005 12:36:45 PM »

Have any of you worked with Art Clay? Tell me about it. I thinking about getting some to try out but I'd like to hear about your experiences using it.

http://www.artclayworld.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ClassyLassy
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2005 07:00:02 PM »

i've used it before, but i'll have to go look through my notes and projects to remember how it worked out before i reply. just want to make sure i give the right info rather than accidentally talking about another kind...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Valoir

I knew I could make it myself!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2005 06:38:50 AM »

I am certified artisan with both companies (PMC and ACS).  The differences are very subtle - kind of like Pepsi versus Coke.  They do offer a few different products (ACS has an oil paste that you can paint on glazed porcelain).  The skills you would learn working with one brand of silver clay would be the same skills to use the other.  They fire at relatively the same temperatures, etc. 
Have fun!
Valerie
www.valoirdesigns.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's all jewelry all the time!
http://www.valoirdesigns.com
craftsurge
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Thank God For Glue

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2005 08:31:28 AM »

Have any of you worked with Art Clay? Tell me about it. I thinking about getting some to try out but I'd like to hear about your experiences using it.

http://www.artclayworld.com/

I recently completed my level 1 certification with Art clay. I am not sure if PMC has this yet, but Art Clay offers a low fire "slow dry" clay that enables you a lot more working time with the clay. I have used all the varieties and like this one the best.  Since it is low fire you can still fire it with a torch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Ma Po Tofu
How to Make Salmon Tikka
Asian Grilled Vegetable Salad
What Is Paneer
Using Turmeric in Cooking
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...