A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,983
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Precious Metal Clay  (Read 39930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2005 11:08:51 AM »

check out this thread....
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10148.0

fyi...try doing a search before posting a question Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2005 06:54:09 AM »

It looks like Fire Mountain Gems sells "Art Clay" which is similar to PMC, but not the same.  The kit looks useful.  My Rio Grande catalot sells actual PMC, and their starter kit is only $90, but it doesn't include all the tools.  It's got a 28gm block of PMC+ (8 more grams than the Art Clay kit), plus 1gm of PMC, 1 sheet of PMC paper and a 9gm syringe of PMC3 slip, plus video and instruction booklets.  It's another $75 for a torch and firing block.  Anyway, that $90 buys you a TON of clay.  The Art Clay kit is obviously an attempt to outfit you with most of the tools you'll need as well, which is probably why you'll pay more.  Even so, out of Rio, if you add a 28gm block of PMC for $32 to the $75 for the torch kit, and then fairly minimal $$ for the files and such, you can get pretty close to the same tool kit for about the same price, plus an additional 8gm of clay.  The only thing you couldn't afford to throw in for the same price would be the ring sizers. 

I was just thinking last night about trying the PMC for the first time. I want to make a penannular brooch for a friend of mine.  But I think I've decided on hammered 6 gauge wire instead.  And maybe a bit of the etching process someone posted about over in the "art" section a while back.  I just can't afford to try new things right now.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Ayn
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2005 09:36:05 AM »

Hi all ...
Sorry no I've never tried it & don't intend to.  First, from what I've seen of the finished stuff so far,I just plain don't care for the 'look' of it. ('course I have no idea what brand of clay was used for the items I've seen, nor whether the pieces were finished properly, etc etc etc -- -- but if it's all that complicated to get the stuff to look better, ok nevvver mind ... lol ... ... And second, I truly do not have either the time or the patience to start fussin around with any more ditsy stuff, especially not any more 'expensive' ditsy stuff like a kiln.  Like Lochuin, think maybe I'll just stick to real sterling for the time being!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2005 12:07:30 PM »

Ayn, the thing about the PMC is it turns out very nearly pure silver, rather than sterling.  It CAN be finished just like any fabricated or cast piece of silver.  Files, a flexshaft and a polishing tool will allow the finished product to be finished identically to any other piece of silver, and perhaps even easier than sterling because it is softer, being pure silver.  (Which, of course, has it's drawbacks as well.)  Most people who use the silver clay rather like the more natural and "artsy" look it gets without all the finishing.  It looks more like a clay piece, only in silver, which is part of its appeal.  But if you want to finish it, you can.

Here, if you scroll through, you can see the winners of the 2004 Saul Bell design awards for PMC.  I don't think any of them really look like most of the silver clay pieces I've seen.
http://www.saulbellaward.com/winners2004.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ayn
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2005 09:10:27 AM »

Hi Lothruin! and thanks. Guess what I shoulda said was I'll just stick to metal in the first place.  Not too fond of the idea of goin' through all that fuss & expense just to end up with metal anyway ... lol but then I'm just a plain ole beadstringer not a particularly artistic or crafts-clever person.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2005 11:40:15 AM »

I agree, Ayn.  It's something I've thought about trying, but in the end I can just use plain ol' metal for a lot of what I do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rylizbeth

I don't remember...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2005 07:25:27 AM »

I got my info here.
 Grin
http://www.pmcsupply.com/tech.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anna D.
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2005 03:27:58 PM »

I've wanted to try the Artclay silver......I figure someday when I can afford lampworking supplies I will get some and use the torch to fire whatever I make. I love clay so I look forward to trying it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2005 10:08:21 AM »

Metal clays are fun, but not cheap to play with!  The expense is in the basic tools as well as in the price of the clay itself. 

I don't use it myself, but have collected some info on the two brands, and how to get more info on metal clay, on my website if you want to check it out:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/Characteristics.htm
(....click on "Metal Clays"in the list at the top of the page...)

HTH,

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
shes crafty
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2005 02:31:46 AM »

Hi, I've used Art Clay (different from Precious Metal Clay) and it's okay.  I've taken 2 classes and made about 5-6 items.  I'm trying (damn school and loans and stuff) to become a jeweler and wanted to try it...It dries very fast and is definately not cheap.  You don't necessarily have to have a kiln, you can have a torch, but a kiln heats more evenly.
I think I prefer to skip the clay aspect, leaving that to pottery, and just stick to regular metalsmithing techniques. But this is just me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Painting Adventure: Ruakaka Beach
Painting Adventure: Old Shed
Painting Adventure: One Tree Point
Perspective Drawing in Proportion Tip
Painting Adventure in Peach Cove
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...