A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,470
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Week of Baby Onesies Swap Round 5 (Sign-ups CLOSED, Send-out 10/25)  (Read 16410 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2010 09:56:26 AM »

If you want washfastness don't use RIT. You need fiber reactive dye. I wish a local store had packets of dylon permanent fabric dye more expensive if you dye lots, but seems like a good idea for something like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
cosmo_mouse

Dexter - My best creation

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2010 11:08:14 AM »

Well I was organised...

Two new things arrived yesterday, the sewing machine hubby has bought for my birthday and this little chap  Grin

Austin James was born at 00.31 Monday morning after a less than 2 hour labour (and only just at hospital!)

We're all home now and doing really well (his big brother adores him), just glad I have ideas for all the shirts. Sorry for the kind of off topic post  Cheesy
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010 12:17:08 PM by cosmo_mouse » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2010 11:24:43 AM »

aww congrats cosmo_mouse!
he's beautiful Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chicnjoy
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2010 11:50:13 AM »

Well we don't know each other!
But congratulations ! he looks so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2010 11:54:59 AM »

Congratulations - he's beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IdlersDesign
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2010 12:05:35 PM »

Congratulations partner! What a beautiful & sweet boy! I've been thinking of you the last few days and been wondering if it would be a boy or a girl. Now I have two cute boys to craft for, yay!

I also bought a serger recenty (a very simple one) and the threading works ok, because I have good instructions. However I somehow can't get the thread tension right and the stitches are too tight or too loose. So I haven't used it anymore. Do you have an idea what I should try to get it working properly again? I'd love to use it for my swap shirts.... Roll Eyes

What kind? If it is a brothers I can send you a copy of the best thing I ever received in a swap.

It's a Lewenstein with 3 threads.....

I somehow can't get the thread tension right and the stitches are too tight or too loose. So I haven't used it anymore. Do you have an idea what I should try to get it working properly again?

If your machine has a 'default' setting (like when you switch settings on your machine from 3 to 4 thread, etc.) then start with that.  Depending on what is going on with the thread depends on if you fiddle with the tension first - check your book that came with your machine and it will give you ideas as to what your thread looks like (the top thread pulls to the back or the front of the fabric) and which tension you should correct first.  It's a good idea to keep a 'swatch' of your fabric and write down what you did to get the perfect stitch to keep on hand for future reference.  Different weights, styles, etc. of material will make you change what you have to do each time.  

There's also several books on the market that are designed for sergers that are really helpful - some even have a 'workbook' to them which let's you play with your machine and get the most out of all the stitches (some functional, some 'decorative') you can do.  

Thanks for the tips! I'll be brave coming weekend and try  Wink It would be so nice to be able to use it; even if it's just for a finishing touch.  
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010 12:06:39 PM by IdlersDesign - Reason: my crappy English » THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
Lady Pistola
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2010 01:52:02 PM »

cosmo: He is way too precious! I can't believe you're doing a swap as well! Beautiful!

On another note:  WTF?! Ok, so I took a white tee, dyed it light blue with RIT. It was a bit too dark so I soaked it in a weak bleach solution, and got a great color. Then I washed and dried it to make sure all the color was out. I just went to iron it, and wherever the iron hits it it turns a shade of purple! WTF?! I couldn't find light blue tees the place I went, so I thought it would be easy to just dye one. WRONG! Holy moly, what a disaster! There goes like 3 hours of craft time on a big fat FAIL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have vintage smurf sheets and do embroidery and stenciling...wanna swap?
jacobsmomma
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2010 04:48:19 PM »

cosmo, he is too precious. I am hoping mine waits to come after the swap lol. I can't imagine working on a swap with 2 little boys at home. I have enough trouble finding time to do things with the one I have here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2010 04:56:55 PM »

Cosmo_mouse, he is absolutely precious!  And I love his name.  Congrats to you and your lovely family! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2010 05:56:35 PM »

ugh...freezer paper, why must you be so elusive?

*shakes fist*

/end rant

P.S. I think I have to buy a couple new shirts Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Five Items Every Woman Should Have In Her Closet, from Tim Gunn
Tim Gunn On The Black Leather Jacket
Tim Gunn: Three Fashion Faux Pas
Lauren Conrad Shows How to Brighten Up Your Fall Wardrobe with Yellow
Your Guide to the Best Halloween Costumes for 2012
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...