A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zippered coin purse with front vinyl pocket  (Read 1438 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Punkrockmum
« on: September 01, 2010 01:52:57 PM »

A year ago (or possibly two years - I lost track) I found a fantastic tutorial on how to make a zippered coin purse that sported a vinyl pocket on the front that is perfect for an id and a few credit cards. Time has taken it's toll and it's time to create a new one as this one has seen better days. I can't find the blasted tutorial! One would assume that book marking would have been the smartest way to keep track of it... apparently that didn't happen and now I'm struggling to find it again! If anyone has one or knows of one, I would much appreciate that information!

Thanks in advance!

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/173900_01Sep10_photo.JPG

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010 03:22:25 PM »

Don't know the tutorial, but any zippered pouch pattern can be used with a simple modification.

Cut a piece of vinyl to fit the front of the pouch, with seam allowances along the bottom and sides.  The height of the pocket is up to you, and the top edge will be bound with a strip of double fold purchased bias tape or self-made tape (again, double fold, which means the long edges are folded to the middle of the tape, then the tape is folded in half so you have a finshed long edge....hope that makes sense.)

Place the double fold tape along the top edge of your vinyl, encasing the top edge, and stitch in place, stitching close to the lower edge and with a slightly lengthened stitch length.

Place your prepared vinyl pocket on top of the front side of the front of your pouch and baste in place, stitching within your seam line so your basting stitch will not show. 

Next, assemble the pouch per instructions, treating the front with the vinyl as a single piece of fabric.  You may need to trim the corners a little closer to get a neat corner...a trick is to stitch your corner in three steps:  1, stitch to about 1/8" of the corner, 2, pivot 45 degreess and take a couple of stitches, 3, then pivot another 45 degrees and continue your side seam.

Hope this helps
SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Punkrockmum
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010 10:26:52 PM »

Yes!! It makes sense! I was thinking that it would be much more complicated. It was not immediately obvious to me to just attach it to the front part and then treat it as all one piece and continue on with a basic zippered pouch. It was definitely a 'face palm' moment! Thanks again! It turned out great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eivez
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010 01:47:12 PM »

I know this is not going to help you since you've already remade it. But I'm new here and just saw the post. I recognized the pic right away. I am almost positive this is the tutorial you were looking for: http://u-handbag.typepad.com/uhandblog/2007/02/had_a_quiet_wee.html I'm glad your remake came out well without it, but if you ever need another one and forget again here it is! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Punkrockmum
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010 07:06:43 AM »

Yes! This is it! Ha! It's bookmarked now. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Healthy Chia and Buckwheat Cereal
How to Grill the Perfect Burger with Chef Jamie Purviance
The Difference Between BBQ And Grilling
How to Make Southern Pulled-Pork Sandwiches
Swiss and Mushroom BBQ Burger Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...