So, technically, I did get 5 quilts done in time for Christmas. However, being braindead, I only got pictures of 3 of them... The fourth one was wrapped post-haste before I could get photos. LOL. So, I will post the 4th one once it's opened, because I'm not going to unwrap it, and then re-wrap it. *chuckle*
All of these quilts were made with cotton front and back. The batting I used were old electrical blankets that had the electric guts torn out of them. It was a cheap, easy way to do it, and since the electricals were all fried, there was no reason NOT to re-use them for other things. We picked them up from Goodwill years ago for less than $2 per queen size blanket... Each queen sized blanket made 2 lap-sized (or kid-sized) quilts.
All of the quilts but one were button-tied. I didn't really have the energy to hand-stitch or even machine stitch the rest of them. They each took about an hour to button-tie. The machine-stitched one took about an hour as well.
The quilts for Elizabeth, Katherine and Kelreth (pics coming soon!) were all made with flannel, both back and front. Ivy's quilt was made of cotton print broadcloth, and was double-batted.
There were only a few items that I actually purchased for these quilts. One was the backing for Katherine's quilt and the flowers for the borders on them. The other was the squares for the Curious George quilt. Oh, and the binding for them... Other than that, they were all done with scraps and 1/2-yard - 1.5-yard pieces that I'd had laying around for over a year, and needed using up.
This was a really inexpensive way for me to make Christmas gifts this year, and I still have two more quilts to make. :-) Hopefully they'll be done before next Christmas. LOL.
Elizabeth's Quilt (with Elizabeth sitting next to it):
Close-up of center square on Elizabeth's quilt:
I had to make Elizabeth's quilt a little different from her friend Katherine's - first, so we could tell them apart, and second because I ran out of fairy fabric. :-) I think that matching it with the backing turned out pretty cute, actually...
Backing of Elizabeth's quilt:
Elizabeth's Curious George quilt:
Close-up of square:
This was actually a combination of printed broadcloth and plain broadcloth, surrounded with soft plain flannel as the frame.
Back of the Curious George quilt:
I owed this one to Elizabeth from LAST Christmas, when I pretty much had a melt-down and decided to kick my sewing machine to the curb for a little bit. LOL.
Close-up of a square on Katherine's quilt:
All of the squares are the same on Katherine's quilt.
Back of Katherine's quilt:
I had 4 squares running diagonally with the hand-embroidered words: Peace, Love, Joy, Hope
Close-up of a square on Ivy's quilt:
Back of Ivy's quilt:
I hand-embroidered the label as well.
Coming soon! Kelreth's pirate-themed quilt - complete with sharks and a drowning man (not kidding - gotta love the vintage re-prints)