A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: McCall's 4826  (Read 21843 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dianajeanne
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2005 11:00:29 AM »

I think I'm going to take your suggestions and make it with less gathering, because I'm not sure with the material I bought that I'm goign to like it with a really full skirt..

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athena404
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2005 11:38:56 AM »

actually i dont think the gathering looked bad at all
i like it on my dress
but i guess it depends on the fabric
THIS ROCKS   Logged
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2005 01:07:47 PM »

It also depends on your body type. I'm petite all around. So it made me look funny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
kityeyes
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2006 09:24:39 AM »

i just got this pattern yesterday and started working on it about 2 last..morning..lol..so hopefully ill have it done today and ill post pics. i really love this dress and everyones looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaitopenguin
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2006 01:33:41 PM »

I made this dress about two weeks ago, and just found this thread.  I love the fabric I used... you can't really see it in the picture, but it's covered in brown polka dots.  

It makes me feel like such a 50's housewife!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010 02:50:22 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dianajeanne
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2006 01:41:35 PM »

It's Beautiful!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2006 01:52:51 PM »

really pretty. you did a wonderful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
moefen
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2006 01:14:58 AM »

Just finished my version of this dress, and never even knew there was a sew along!

Here's my version, which I made out of some Ikea fabric I bought years ago... I also just posted about it here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=107684.0

Here the fabulous fabric:

My thoughts on the pattern:  its not very well designed...  I hated the way they put the zipper in last.  I think that makes the dress look very homemade.  If you are already lining the bodice, why not just make a skirt lining, attach to the bottom of the bodice lining, insert the zipper, and fold the edges of the lining to the inside, and slipstich along the zipper?  That would finish it really nicely...  But, i didn't really read all the instructions before I began...

I had to do quite a lot of alterations for this (and I just wanted to make a quick summer dress...)  I am extremely short waisted (2 " less than the 16" long for my size) and small boobed (34A).  So i decided to make size 10, even though it recommends it for a bust of 32.5, because it has 3" of ease.  That is about 1-2" larger than I am, and I decided that I would like a halter dress to fit fairly snug.  I folded out about an inch of length through the bust as I am only an A cup (patterns are drafted for a B cup), then I cleaned up the side seams, and altered the waist piece to increase from a 25" waist up to fit my 28" waist (actually only added 1" as the pattern had 2" of waist ease).  I made a quick mock up of the bodice pieces from the lining cause I knew the back would have been mucked about because of the shortening.  It fit well but I decided to improve the visuals by raising the back by 1", and also to make the armhole smaller

I also left the neck strap as long as possible, and didn't alter length until the whole thing was finished.

I made it up, and as I was gathering the skirt, was thinking that this was too much fabric and that I hate gathered skirts.  The fabric is stiff, so I stuck out quite unattractively... I should have listened to my gut which said circle skirt.

So I cut a circle skirt. And hemmed the damn thing by hand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alicelovester
« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2006 12:05:41 PM »

I made this for my junior prom in March, and also didn't know there was a sewalong Roll Eyes

The waist ended up kind of tight, but nothing too terrible. Please excuse my horrid posture.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Impshlady

I wish i had eight arms...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2006 05:04:38 PM »

Hi everyone, what a great selection of fifties housewives you all are! i'm so impressed!

i had a look at the pattern and it only goes up to a 40" bust and a 32" waist, do you think it would be possible to make my own pattern? i have only drafted a skirt block which was quite straight forward, and i was wondering what other pieces i'd need to make, from what i can see theres a round your middle bit and two over your boobs bits. sorry for the lack of technical knowledge! I'm sure i could make a circle skirt without too much hassle, (although i never have yet) so what would be next?

sorry for all the questions, i'm really new to making clothes for myself and i'd love it if i could do it even without a special fat chick pattern! Smiley

Thanks

Leah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
John Norcross on Sustaining Behavior Change
The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury
Sarah Beth Durst on Her Book Vessel
J.K. Rowling Launches Adult Debut Novel at London Event
The Cannibal Coincidence!
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...