A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: McCall's 4826  (Read 21141 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Shmooey
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005 10:19:49 AM »

http://home.comcast.net/~shmooey/newdress.jpg
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013 04:56:32 PM by meleriffic - Reason: Changed non-working image to link. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
iamsunny
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005 12:39:59 PM »

SEXY!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shmooey
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005 04:07:29 PM »

Cheesy

- to anyone that hasnt started this dress yet... the pattern directions go haywire somewhere around the middle and leave out like 5 steps. i dont have them in front of me, but i distinctly remember throwing a fit about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005 10:01:54 PM »

Cheesy

- to anyone that hasnt started this dress yet... the pattern directions go haywire somewhere around the middle and leave out like 5 steps. i dont have them in front of me, but i distinctly remember throwing a fit about it.

crap. thanks for the warning.
I need HELP!!! Please.
Am cutting my fabric now....except I had to toss some of it cuz it was damaged (it's vintage, what ya gonna do?) and now I have no where near enough for the skirt part. Can anyone tell me how to make the skirt less full? I'm just looking at the back piece, piece #5, and that seems like a lot of fabric to need to cut 2. It looks like the back will have twice the fullness of the front. What? Can I fold the back piece and tape it so that it loses like 6 or 8 inches? I'm short so I think that much fullness with only make me look stumpy anyways. ARGH!

edited: What's it mean by UNDERSTITCH? I've never had instructions tell me to understitch before....I don't know what it means! ARGH!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005 10:21:46 AM by spaz2phreek » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005 07:46:33 AM »

I think understitching is when you stitch the seam allowances to the facings to hold them down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
Shmooey
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005 10:10:18 AM »

Yes Randommarble, thats exactly right.

If youve just sewn your lining to your fabric, open them up so you are looking at the back sides of them and you  have seam allowances sticking up. Press with an iorn, your seam allowances in the direction of the LINING. Now bring this to your sewing machine and stitch over the 2 seam allowances (the lining and the fabric seam allowances) and the lining itself- as close as you can to the stitching of the seam itself.  Now when you turn it back inside out, youll have some gorgeous understitching on the lining that keeps your dress's edges neat and pretty- and makes sure that your lining wont roll over the seam and show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005 11:19:24 AM »

THANKS!
Please tell me about the bottom pieces. I cut 2 for the back piece and one on the fold for the front. Won't that make the back twice as poofy as the front?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Shmooey
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2005 02:15:11 PM »

Okay basicly what you are doing is making the top bodice peice , and the front and back peices of the skirt really dont line up with side seams of the top. SO once you have the bodice done- all you are doing is attatching the big tube of fabric (skirt) You can make the skirt whatever fullness you want... circle skirt, or even a half circle- and just gather and attatch it like normal. You dont have to add the pockets either, if you dont want. i forget that mine are there, and thats pretty much why you have seperate peices of fabric, so you can sew the pocket into that seam. So if you want- cur out enough fabric to make a circle skirt (or half circle) and then make cuts up the fabric so you have 'peices', and use those for pocket seams.

Does that make any sense? And do you know how to make a circle skirt, or half circle skirt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2005 02:55:09 PM »

Was planning on leaving the pockets out so that makes things much easier. I've done a circle skirt before and think I have enough fabric so I'm probably just gonna do that. Thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2005 03:55:17 AM »

Shmooey - Somehow I missed your dress altogether. It's wonderful. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...