A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about Kaiser Lee Board  (Read 868 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TwilightFirefly
« on: September 01, 2010 08:19:55 AM »

Hello,

I am getting ready to use a small casting mold I have created out of Kaiser Lee board for the first time. If any of you have experience with this, I would love some advice.

I have ready a few different things about using molds made from KLB. Some say that you can us it "as is" with no kiln wash or preparatory firing. Others say you need to apply kiln wash or mold hardener and even pre-fire it before you use it with glass. Another source says that you can use it without any prep, but it will fall apart after one firing if you do so. Help!

What do -you- say? I'd love some input before I proceed. Thanks!

-Emily
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mike Jordan
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010 10:26:30 PM »

I have not used KLB, but I've used other fiber board. KLB is probably the best available, although it can be expensive. That's why I use a cheaper fiber board.

It can be used as is without kiln wash.  If you are carefull, you can re-use it several times but it does become fragil after the first firing.  Because fiber board is a bit porus, the glass does like to imbed into the sides when you use it for kiln casting, so it's sometimes hard to get out of a deep mold without ruining the mold.  That's why I like using the cheaper fiber board, since a lot of times I have to break the mold to get out my casting.

What is available for fiber board is a product called rigidizer. It's a liquid that you basically soak the fiber board in and then dry it. The fiber board becomes very hard after using it. This is when  you have to use kiln wash as once you use the rigidizer (I'm probably not spelling that right) it loses it's non-sticking properties that fiber board has. 

I have used up to 1" thick fiber board to make shapes using frit to fill the mold area.  Some times, after the frit has settled and without moving the mold, as soon as it's cool enough that I can open my kiln lid, I'll fill it up with more frit and fire it again.  That way I can get a full 1" thick casting from the frit. 

Fiber board is something that custs easy with a knife, but I find the thicker stuff is hard to get a good clean cut all the way through... at least with the cheaper fiber board, the KLB may cut better since it's seems to be made better.  What I have done is use my scroll saw to cut out the shapes. I have to be careful about the dust using my scroll saw, but it sure made nice clean cut outs. A lot better than I could do with a knife.

Mike
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turn Your Gingerbread Man Into a Reindeer Cookie!
Learn How to Make a Dancing Gingerbread Man
Vegan Dark Chocolate Coconut Oil Truffles
Citrus Thumbprint Cookie Recipe
6 Holiday Treats Your Kids Can Make for Santa
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...