A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Maybe Ya'll Can Help Me?  (Read 480 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Incorporeal

So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2010 06:33:27 PM »

Okay, so I have a really wonderful older sewing machine that my mother gave me, the kind that comes in the fold out cabinet stand:

It works great and everything. I just have one kind of big problem. When I recently moved I obviously had to take the legs off of the cabinet/machine part to transport it. I started putting it back together... and really screwed up.  Sad My mom neglected to tell me that this model has particular front and back legs. Needless to say, silly me somehow managed to put the back legs onto the front (I blame it on the fact that I had spent 6 hours previously assembling snap together furniture that was awful). When I did this, I was confused as to why they weren't lining up right and threaded the washers and nuts too far down. When I tried to take them back off, I couldn't properly line them up, and instead of just pulling the nuts and washers off... I pulled out the entire screw in the leg... with the nuts still stuck on them. Now I have a sad sewing machine just sitting in my closet.
Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to take the legs to to have them repaired and... re-screwed? Or maybe someone knows what kind of screw it is I could buy to reinsert maybe with wood glue or something?

The legs look like this:

And these are the screws I broke (sorry for the blur):

Thanks for looking and for any help or suggestions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fine, fine, I finally made a Pinterest
Craftsunderground
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010 12:07:37 PM »

Glue isn't really going to help you out on this one, it won't hold the screws well enough to withstand the weight of the sewing machine and you need your sewing machine to be steady. I would try to get screws that are a little "fatter" than the ones you have. If the legs weren't damaged too much when you pulled out the screws, the fatter screws will hold tightly.You will also need new nuts to fit the new screws. You might have to drill out the holes in the table (not the legs) to accept the fatter screws.  You don't need wing nuts, any nuts will do, it's just that the wing nuts are easier to hand tighten.

Another solution might be to redrill holes in the cabinet and the legs that are a little higher or a little lower than the original screw holes. That would be simpler and stronger.

They sell wood putty and say it will work for this type of problem, but in my experience it cracks and chips away when you try to tighten the screws. You can try it, but make sure the putty is COMPLETELY dry before you screw into it.

I should have suggested this first, but I always try the people at HomeDepot (you may have to talk to a couple before you get one who really knows his/her stuff). Usually, they give me very good advice and they might have a new product that will do the trick.

Good luck and let us know if any of this works.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
Incorporeal

So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010 02:42:18 PM »

Thanks so much for all of the ideas. I think I'll take your suggestion and just take one of the legs with me down to Home Depot Friday or so and see what they would suggest. I'm kind of "fix-things" retarded, but luckily my boyfriends pretty handy and can probably get it set back up as long as we have the appropriate hardware.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fine, fine, I finally made a Pinterest
sewnutzz
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010 03:37:38 PM »

Actually you can probably just take the bolts and nuts to the hardware store and get replacements.  Before you re-insert the pointy end of the bolt into the hole, break off a couple of wooden tooth picks or bamboo skewers into the holes, put a little Elmers wood glue into the hole, and screw the bolt in.  You will probably need to use a wrench for this...just thread the nut onto the flat head end of the bolt, twist it down to the end and use it for your wrench to grab on to.  So long as you don't over tighten, you should be able to remove the nut, but you may need to wait for the glue to dry first. 

Good luck
SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Stitch Letters Onto Fabric
How to Make Decorative Roses Out of Ribbon
How to Make a Patriotic Tote Bags
How to Make Scarves Without Stitching
How to Make Glove Puppets for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...