A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,476
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "No Pretension" Scarf  (Read 1477 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 30, 2010 09:28:58 PM »

Back when I had access to a Saori loom (boy do I ever miss that loom), I made this scarf. Unfortunately, the loom wasn't working properly for this project, so I had close to no tension at all (hence the wonky edges). Nevertheless, it's the prettiest thing (IMO) I've woven. So, when I was asked to give it a name - "No Pretension" seemed to fit perfectly! It's already gotten a lot of wear though, so it's a little wrinkled...

As always, thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
francorios
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010 09:41:38 PM »

I like it, wonky edges and all.
Looking at section it's like the scarf
is breathing in and out.

Great work!
Have a joyful day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010 07:03:44 AM »

oh man this is gorgeous Smiley I love the occasional stripes - they add so much texture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010 08:29:26 AM »

I like it, wonky edges and all.
Looking at section it's like the scarf
is breathing in and out.

Great work!
Have a joyful day!
Thank you Smiley I like the edges too, besides, you can't really tell when you're wearing it anyways! I never thought of it as breathing, but if I look at it with that in mind, I must agree...

oh man this is gorgeous Smiley I love the occasional stripes - they add so much texture!

Yeah, I'm REALLY happy with it, I had so much fun trying out new techniques and shapes. I'm happy that I managed to keep the uniformity throughout too because it took a looooooong time to make (having access to the loom only once a week), and I tend to forget what I've done at the beginning of the scarf, especially since Saori is such a freehand technique as opposed to traditional weaving! But I believe I've achieved a good balance of the colours, the geometric sections, striped sections, and the yellow accents Cheesy  You can't really tell in the pictures, but the fibers themselves are different textures too - the green is kind of chenille-like, the brown is more "wooly" and has flecks of green and black, the pink is very flat and brushed, one yellow thin and delicate, while the other yellow is unspun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
noooitaremybirthday
Tutorial Contributor

You don't have to type the whole thing...Call me Nooo :D

I've gone through like 5 gluesticks this week...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010 07:47:36 PM »

It's very pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010 10:28:48 AM »

I really like this!!  Love all the colors and textures.  I like that it does have some structure to the design and isn't totally random.  I've seen some pics of saori pieces that, while very interesting and works of art, aren't always 100% wearable, and your scarf is something I"d wear in a second!

I'd like to take a saori class sometime.  I'm really not a weaver, but I think I would like saori much more than traditional weaving.  I tend to be one who is turned off by a craft with lots of strict rules, and the intuitive and improvisational nature of saori appeals to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010 08:45:27 AM »

That's what I like about Saori... It takes a long time to create a weaving project (at least, it does for me) and, knowing myself, I think I'd get bored with traditional weaving since it's so repetitive. I can't even complete a small crochet project following an already written pattern, so I can't imagine a weaving project! I don't really like the idea of creating a project that is so out there that it couldn't be really be worn either but, if I make it myself, I have total control over that! I'm seriously considering going back to where I did the weaving, just have to see if I can fit it into my schedule and budget.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

delightenment
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010 04:21:14 PM »

this is amazing!  i hadn't heard of saori before, and it inspired me to sign up for a class next month.  thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010 04:41:47 PM »

Ooooh that makes me really really REALLY happy! You'll have to show us what you made!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adjustment Brush in Lightroom 2
3D Features - PSCS4 Sneak Peek
Video Improvements - PSCS4 Sneak Peek
Peachpit TV: Grid View in Bridge CS4
Refining Edges in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...